Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips to make the task of cleaning foam air filters a little less messy? I hate that foam air filter oil gettin' on stuff! <_<

I use rubber dish gloves for the hands, anything else???

-RR

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well I am only speculating but i believe everybody uses the filter cleaner, which gets most of the oil off. Also that sttuff works well on your hands to get that excess oil off your hands. You probably have the best thing going with your gloves though.

just a thought.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r@May 6 2004, 11:45 PM
Put oil on filter and place in a big strong zip-lock freezer bag that's oversize ... scrounge around all you want and get oil worked in that way ... I use FFT and buy it by the quart ...

Just make sure you get the air out of the bag before you go reefing on it ... or POW ... LOL

Nice clean hands ... Then when it's time to apply, let it sit open to let the solvent carrier in the oil evap and oil to tack, wipe the filter inlet clean, apply favorite sealing grease and install !

Then pull your bag off after it's bolted to air box inlet ...

done...

~
I use no-toil and clean my hands with the no-toil cleaner when Im done with the oil part....the stuff rinses right off.....the no-toil cleaner is crazy, its like a fine white powder.....

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I use the UNI filter and it is very easy to clean. So far it's been the easiest filter to clean. Of course I clean my filter every two rides. I feel the more yoy clean it, the longer it will last and your engine to. The better your engine breathes the better! :D

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Uni oil and NoToil have too much drainback for my liking.

I use Maxima FFT, Fab1 (same stuff, spray on) - both have excellent filter oil properties or PJ1 (the ultra sticky red stuff). Both also have a nice dye that indicates coverage.

Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water works great for cleaning filters.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I've been using KLOTZ on mine so far. I do the same thing as 86atc250r to clean mine.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
What I like about my uni is, that I can spray the cleaner on the filter, then wait 3 minutes spray it with water and watch the dirt flush right out of it. Let it dry and spray the oil on it, then put it back on the bike. Easiest filter I've ever used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts