Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting this thread to track the progress of the flat dragger build I'm attempting to complete over the off-season. My goal is to create the lightest and quickest drag bike I can on a pretty tight budget.

The theme for this build is: ME GUSTA!

First thing's first...these will be the decals that will go on the hood of this bike :):

This whole thing started off with me purchasing an engine from my buddy Jeff in Maine. He sent the engine directly to Mr. John Dyer at Racers Edge AZ for me. While the engine was en route - I also shipped a 48 Lectron, cut FCI, and a Programmable Dynatek to Racers Edge AZ.

John and Bret really took care of me in a BIG way. I can't say enough about their customer service and attention to detail. They set it up the way the engine should be set up and dyno tuned it. They went above and beyond in every way possible!

Parts boxed up and ready to go out to RE AZ:

My engine, intake, and carb in John's chassis ready to hit their dyno at RE AZ.

I received the engine back in October from RE AZ:

I purchased a few more supporting parts - CP Billet throttle, Manual tensioner, DASA Shorty, DASA header pipe w/ bung, and a 48 HSR setup by KFXGuy to try:

I also purchased some rear tires - 22x14-10 STU Mini Desert Traks on 10x10 blue labels:

After all that, I installed the new engine in my current chassis. For those who aren't familiar with what my "current chassis" is - it's a full weight, mostly stock '05 chassis with a +4" swing arm, stock rear shock, and no wheelie bar. I quickly figured out that this was too much engine for that setup.

BUT, that chassis worked perfectly for the little SB/SS engine - and I didn't want to start hacking up the chassis since I've had it since 2006.

Thus, I decided to jump on craigslist and find a stock bike to turn into the Me Gusta! drag bike and to keep the other chassis as a fun/fair racing bike.

I found this - mostly stock '04 - on craigslist for a decent price and bought it:

This past weekend, I started tearing it down. I didn't get as far as I wanted to on the tear down...but I'll be slowly working on pulling parts off of it and adding to it over the winter.

I'll have most of the parts I pull off of it up for sale in the B/S/T section...stock engine, nerfs, wheels/tires, etc. etc. Going to try and sell as many parts as I can off of it to off-set the cost of go-fast parts.

This weekend, I also received some parts in the mail that I ordered thanks to a couple of forum members here - set of Shaws and an oil cooler delete:

That's it for now. I'll be posting more pics as I make progress on the chassis and as parts come in. The biggest step for the engine this winter is a cut transmission. After talking with several people and John at RE AZ...they've talked me into trying one. Just gotta save up the $$$ for that piece.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with parts and advice - you know who you are!

So...hopefully by the time this thing is complete, tuned, and going down the track...my expression will be something like:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Adding another bike to the pack! Looks fun gary, keep us updated. Cant wait to see it finished

·
450r XC Rider
1,614 Posts
Ol Gary and his 75 450r's lol. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Nice shocks man ;)

·
Truck Yea
5,677 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - hoping it'll be a fun build. No clue what the weight goal is. It's not gonna be super light...but I'm hoping for under 300 lbs. wet.

trx564r - it's a Web 242/812+5 in it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Keep up the good work man, it's looking good so far!! You will love the over ride trans, I was on the fence about it but after i tried it there is no going back lol. Can't wait to see this thing come together.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks killer better start working out them forearms. Do u run bead locks? Just wondering cause lots of power+lots traction = slippage/rim spinning. Me Gusta mucho!

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep up the good work man, it's looking good so far!! You will love the over ride trans, I was on the fence about it but after i tried it there is no going back lol. Can't wait to see this thing come together.
Haha, you're one of the guys who talked me into it! Thanks Jeff!

Looks killer better start working out them forearms. Do u run bead locks? Just wondering cause lots of power+lots traction = slippage/rim spinning. Me Gusta mucho!
Haha...no beadlocks yet...hoping I won't need them; we'll see.

love seeing a first gen being resurrected
Thanks man.

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.

i like progress pics, nice job
Thanks Dan!

Here are some more pictures I thought I would put up. They aren't progress pictures...just some shots of when I pulled my SB/SS engine out of the stock chassis to try out the big engine earlier in November.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Looks like fun. I wish I had the room for another project. How do you like that direct drive clutch on your sb/ss motor? Were you slipping with the stock clutch? My new build I am shooting for 60 and I am on the boarder trying to decide if I need one. They look cool, so that may get me in the end haha.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts