Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give my thoughts on the LRD Pro4 Series complete exhaust I installed this weekend. First, fit and finish were excellent. Everything lined up and bolted right in. I cut the airbox lid like the HRC and jetted the carb with the HRC needle in the 3rd clip, 2 turns on the fuel screw and a 190 main. Gearing is 14/39 with 20" rears. I don't have anything else to compare to, but wow what a difference over stock! The difference down low is immediately noticable...it'll lug now where it would chug and want to die before. The midrange and top end are also considerably healthier. Definitely worth the $330 I stole if for off ebay
Jetting is a touch fat, but I need to get more time on it before making any adjustments. With the quiet core insert and sparky screen, it should be quiet enough to satisfy the sound police here in Wisconsin.

I can't wait to install the Web 613/812 cam and see how much better it gets....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats on the new pipe. LRD is a great company, im sure you will love the quality product that they put out.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Congrats on the new pipe and give us an update on the cam when you get that bad boy in! BTW, how much did the Web set you back if you don't mind me asking? I agree with WPP on the jetting, but aren't most people going with the 185 main from the HRC kit? <--that question isn't a challenge to your knowledge by any means, just curious :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the jetting tip, though I'm sure that I'm real close with the fuel screw. It idles nicely and throttle response is sharp with no bog or sputter if opened quickly. The main is likely a bit fat, though the plug has a nice tan color to it on the end of the insulator. It's a little sooty toward the base of the insulator. Maybe 188 or 185...but I know I'm close ^_^ I'm just glad the main jets are the same as in the PWK carbs.....got a whole box of them after 6 250Rs.

I don't have the cam yet, but I'll likely order it this week. I just wish I could buy a small assortment of shims so I don't have any potential downtime.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just a friendly tip ... order a bunch of shims before you install teh cam cause no dealers (in my area) stock em!!!!!!!!!! I had the dealer install my HRC kit on ssaturday and they had to special order shims!!! You think that if they knew they were gonan install a cam they'de have a few there
Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on the pipe setup: I trail rode 2 days a couple weeks ago in mid 60's weather, and the jetting is nearly spot on. I know when I ride in warmer temps I'll have to drop to around a 185, but for the temps I was at, it's good. It was a completely different machine to ride with the pipe. Power is much improved over the stock system and makes the machine more fun to ride.

As for the Web 613/812 cam, that was installed this past weekend. Took me a few hours since I was triple checking everything (first cam install) and had to re-shim all 4 valves. I was a little unsure and had to make a phone call, but ended up setting the valves to Web's specs for clearance. They call for .006" intake and .009" exhaust, which is a little tight compared to .011" for exhaust on the stock cam. I ended up with the exhaust at .010" and all seems to be well. I'm glad I spent the cash for the Hot Cams complete shim kit, so I didn't have to order shims and have extra downtime. If anyone needs shims, I've got a bunch of them :D I also made sure to thoroughly clean all the bolts that needed Loctite so that it would work properly. The last thing I want is 1 of those bolts to back out on me.

Ride report on the cam: Overall, compared to stock, power is improved considerably. It definitely accelerates harder than the stocker could think of. There feels like there's a very small decrease in grunt right at the very bottom, but it's nothing to be concerned with. Midrange power comes on and pulls hard. I'm not sure on top end since I wasn't able to get it pinned wide open because of where I was riding. The only downfall to this cam is the core charge, but you get that back when you send in your stock cam. Jetting remained the same with the exception of having to open the fuel screw a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts