Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about lower my 450r near the ground in order to run some asphalt and karting races.

I had on mind to mount a set of LT a-arms with stock shocks. I thinkg it will run well, some people here does it. But now i think i will get this:

J Diamond lowering kit

What do you think about this kit?

A friend has a set for sale and i talked to him to get it. Another option is to take the kit to a local center and make a similar kit for a very low price.

On the rear i will mount a kit too. I was thinking about a LT linkage but people from here told me it won't run.

I'm looking too for a set of tires, Hoosier, Maxxis, Mini Cooper, etc... If someone has a set for sale PM me.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm thinking about lower my 450r near the ground in order to run some asphalt and karting races.

I had on mind to mount a set of LT a-arms with stock shocks. I thinkg it will run well, some people here does it. But now i think i will get this:

J Diamond lowering kit

What do you think about this kit?

A friend has a set for sale and i talked to him to get it. Another option is to take the kit to a local center and make a similar kit for a very low price.

On the rear i will mount a kit too. I was thinking about a LT linkage but people from here told me it won't run.

I'm looking too for a set of tires, Hoosier, Maxxis, Mini Cooper, etc... If someone has a set for sale PM me.

Thanks guys.[/b]

CFM makes a kit also front and back. They're on ebay all the time...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that kits but the J Diamond kit lows and wides the front end.

I would have to put too a set of wider tie rods not true?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Very, very bad idea on many levels. Stay away from these kits, they screw up your suspension geometry in many ways.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
the kit you posted comes with tie rod extentions

i think for flat track and ONLY flat track these kits would be good, but for anything else including any kind of bumps at all there a bad idea, but i would stiffen the shocks up about all the way to make it stiff and also get a sway bar

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very, very bad idea on many levels. Stay away from these kits, they screw up your suspension geometry in many ways.[/b]
I know, but i'm not going to run trails with him, i want it in order to run some karting races and drive on the setreet more comfortable than on stock way.

If it comes with tie rods i think i will get it right know.

One last question, maybe a stupid question; if i mount the shock spacer too (included in the kit) won't the front shocks touch the air flow piece on the front fenders? They are very close, very near.

I hope you understand what i mean.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Still a very bad idea in my opinion.... There are much better ways to get what you want with just a little more investment --- without making the handling of your machine dangerous.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Very, very bad idea on many levels. Stay away from these kits, they screw up your suspension geometry in many ways.[/b]
I know, but i'm not going to run trails with him, i want it in order to run some karting races and drive on the setreet more comfortable than on stock way.

If it comes with tie rods i think i will get it right know.

One last question, maybe a stupid question; if i mount the shock spacer too (included in the kit) won't the front shocks touch the air flow piece on the front fenders? They are very close, very near.

I hope you understand what i mean.
[/b]

if youre talking about teh shocks rubbing the plastic, trim the plastic.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Those Diamond J custom widening kits have to be the most ridiculous item I've seen sold in the ATV community. It's truly astonishing how many people actually consider buying them. They throw suspension geometry so far off it's not even funny. I wouldn't run them on anything in any situation no way no how. Can anyone say BUMPSTEER! The negative in handling alone should be a reason not to put it on, I wont even get into the safety factor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey man listen to me i actually own a lowering kit.
I have a CRJ lowering kit and its great, i love it cause it lowered it along with widening the front end. But here is the problem...NO JUMPING... I love the kit nothing has gone wrong everything is perfect. If you decide to get a lowering kit i recommend CRJ. But im getting rid of mine just cause the jumping factor. I dont jump a lot but when i want to i cant. I just got new springs not shocks from Twisted springs that lowered my quad and i can still jump. But i will sell you my pretty much brand new lowering kit for cheap if your interested. Just write me a message.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wouldn't the diamond kit be just like running stock shocks with long travel arms??? Actually it would, just that the extra length is made up in the bracket, not on the arms themselves.... Am I right? I'm thinking about making new mounts myself that stick out further...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Actually, it wouldn't..... The reasons why are beyond the scope of this thread. However, there's a wealth of information out there on the web on the subject of front end geometry, if you're interested

·
Registered
796 Posts
Actually, it wouldn't..... The reasons why are beyond the scope of this thread. However, there's a wealth of information out there on the web on the subject of front end geometry, if you're interested[/b]
I read a crap load of other articles that you have posted and I am beginning to understand... I am new to the couches, been racing motocross for years on bikes but want to get started on four wheels. I already found complete +2 a arm kits for $400 seems like the only way to go, that and have the stock stuck re sprung and valved. I had Factory connection valve my bike and it was night and day....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
One problem with these kits is they move the inner pivot points of the control arms out while the pivot points for the tie rods remain the same (at the steering stem). This introduces massive bump steer into the system because the arc the two follow (the control arm and the tie rods) as the suspension moves aren't even close to the same.

Getting a set of +2 arms and your stock shocks revalved will be a great start to improving your machine's handling. In many cases, stock revalved shocks can out perform aftermarket shocks. Aftermarket shock hardware is better, but they're not always set up better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts