Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I competed in my first race yesterday. It was a drag race and I found I really liked it and did better then expected especially for a first timer. Right now i have a dasa,dasa filter, and open air box. I raced stock and mod and went 4 for 6 on the stock class (250cc+ with pipe,carb and airbox as only mods allowed which there was a built LT500 and built banshees racing so I dont think the rules applied) and 3 for 5 on the mod. (double elimination). Now I'm looking to finally put some work into my quad. What I have planned out so far is a port and polish, cam, and FCR carb. Dont wanna do big bore unless it needs a rebuild. I need this to be a universal racer for now (at the track and if I wanna do some dirt drags) anything else i dont know of that will make good power difference? I plan on buying a newer 450 for racing at the track when that comes into budget then building my 05 for drag. And also another question cause I've never actually raced at a track do they allow port and polish and cams I mean they couldn't tell but I like to be honest most of the time.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,582 Posts
First off, it sounds like you currently have an 05 and that’s what you are wanting to mod right??

Secondly, please don’t say port and polish. We aren’t in the 80s, It’s just porting lol!

All your mods will be mostly worthless with the stock piston. It’s cast, heavy, low compression, and needs to be swapped. If you are actually racing I recommend at least 13:1. Most racing classes are based on displacement, not necessarily the mods done, so as long as you are stock displacement they don’t care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, it sounds like you currently have an 05 and that’s what you are wanting to mod right??

Secondly, please don’t say port and polish. We aren’t in the 80s, It’s just porting lol!

All your mods will be mostly worthless with the stock piston. It’s cast, heavy, low compression, and needs to be swapped. If you are actually racing I recommend at least 13:1. Most racing classes are based on displacement, not necessarily the mods done, so as long as you are stock displacement they don’t care.
Yup I got a 05 and with a 13:1 pistion would I still be able to run pump gas in it?(premium obviously) As I would be almost there if I'm gonna send my head out and it wouldn't take much to put one in

·
Truck Yea
5,694 Posts
nope. anything 13:1 and higher means you really should run 100 octane. some get away with running 93 and are fine, but I wouldnt chance it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope. anything 13:1 and higher means you really should run 100 octane. some get away with running 93 and are fine, but I wouldnt chance it
Was looking and I'm assuming a 12:1 would still put out more then the stock comp ratio and I'd still be able to run 91 cause I dont have access to high octane gas and for the riding I do it would get to expensive so found a sparks racing 12:1. Has anyone had experience with this brand and how good are they?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts