Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some questions about some mods I want to do and just looking for some input on what any one has done.

First thing is, I have a 520 motor and I didn't have the time to get the head ported or bigger valves put in the head. I have looked around a little bit about racers edge and was curious on where they are and what they can do with the head and valve work. I want to get the head ported and bigger valves put in, I feel like the motor is being held back pretty substantially. Looking to maximize the power output from it.

I feel I have the factory carb pretty tapped out right now and doing headwork would mean bigger carb. I have seen some talk about 48mm mikuni swapping from the factory carb. Wondered if that's what people are doing and what would be needed to swap that over to the bigger carb. Such as intake boots and filter set ups.

Also does having an extended swing arm make that big of a difference? I was riding at silver lake sand dunes in July and I raced a 490 with some head work, ported carb, and a extended swing arm. I could never get out of the hole as good as him. After the hole shot I could keep up or gain on him slightly but could never beat him. Looking for a swing arm now -_- Probably turning this bike into a dune or drag oriented bike what should I go with for length wise.

Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks!

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,882 Posts
My first question was going to be, what type of riding do you plan on doing with it, and at the end you say dune or drag. You would need to decide which before you really get set on what you want to do with it.

But as for your head, yes, it’s holding you back tremendously. And you should go with a bigger cam if you really want to make power. That will help you no matter what style of riding you want to do.

All your other questions depend on what you want to do with the quad and what type of riding you’ll do with it.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first question was going to be, what type of riding do you plan on doing with it, and at the end you say dune or drag. You would need to decide which before you really get set on what you want to do with it.

But as for your head, yes, it’s holding you back tremendously. And you should go with a bigger cam if you really want to make power. That will help you no matter what style of riding you want to do.

All your other questions depend on what you want to do with the quad and what type of riding you’ll do with it.
I primarily want to dune ride, and drag on the side or along those lines.

·
Truck Yea
5,970 Posts
id suggest building to dune ride and then drag race it on the side if you want. but you cant have both. the reason the guy beat you with the swingarm is he was able to keep the front end planted down and you were not with the stock setup

id suggest you port the head, get a nice web cam and bore the carb. friend of mine built a 525 stroker with a fully ported head, bored carb, web cam and it made over 70hp on the dyno and was a monster. racers edge wont steer you wrong, just be prepared they have a large back log like all good builders. give them a call and ask them what they would do for your particular setup

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id suggest building to dune ride and then drag race it on the side if you want. but you cant have both. the reason the guy beat you with the swingarm is he was able to keep the front end planted down and you were not with the stock setup

id suggest you port the head, get a nice web cam and bore the carb. friend of mine built a 525 stroker with a fully ported head, bored carb, web cam and it made over 70hp on the dyno and was a monster. racers edge wont steer you wrong, just be prepared they have a large back log like all good builders. give them a call and ask them what they would do for your particular setup
That is the plan that I am going for. I am looking for a swing arm option that would fit that any ideas? Also, I forgot to mention that I have a HC3 cam already in the bike from when I put the motor together. Are there any other companies that have good reps that are around to do head work? That being said I don't plan on doing this for a couple months until winter hits and then I can send stuff out and not have to worry about down time.
Where did the carb get bored as well? I have a 205 main jet in the carb right now and I haven't been able to find anything bigger this is why different carb options were put on the table. I am trying to get some more wiggle room with my jets, don't want to lean out.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the plan that I am going for. I am looking for a swing arm option that would fit that any ideas? Also, I forgot to mention that I have a HC3 cam already in the bike from when I put the motor together. Are there any other companies that have good reps that are around to do head work? That being said I don't plan on doing this for a couple months until winter hits and then I can send stuff out and not have to worry about down time.
Where did the carb get bored as well? I have a 205 main jet in the carb right now and I haven't been able to find anything bigger this is why different carb options were put on the table. I am trying to get some more wiggle room with my jets, don't want to lean out.
Ok correction didn't realize that there were bigger that 205, misinformed, my bad.

·
Truck Yea
5,970 Posts
Racers Edge, Oregon Coast Power Sports, CT Racing all do that sorta work. I got my stuff done by a guy local to me in PA but he doesnt do outside work unfortunately. Your jet size will go down slightly with port work and a bored carb

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Racers Edge, Oregon Coast Power Sports, CT Racing all do that sorta work. I got my stuff done by a guy local to me in PA but he doesnt do outside work unfortunately. Your jet size will go down slightly with port work and a bored carb
Ok good to know. Is there a specific racers edge, because when I look them up I get a bunch of different ones.
Do you have any recommendations on swing arm options, I want to get a longer one but not sure what to get, still going for the dune bike.

·
4,882 Posts
A swingarm that’s a couple inches longer is usually still pretty dunable. But the longer you get the worse it handles and increases the turning radius and makes avoiding those trees on hillshots a little more tricky 😂. As far as what manufacturer you go with, that can be tricky. Most dune/drag extended swingers aren’t made for jumping and won’t take a lot of abuse before they bend. While swingers from companies like Walsh or LSR will be incredibly durable, they are heavier, so it’s just a matter of finding which you would rather have. There have been some durable dune style swingers that I’ve seen in the past, but I don’t think they are made anymore and I can’t remember names right now.

·
4,882 Posts
I recommended a bigger cam and I knew you were running the HC3. It’s not a bad cam, it’s just that you can get more/better power from a different cam.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recommended a bigger cam and I knew you were running the HC3. It’s not a bad cam, it’s just that you can get more/better power from a different cam.
I’ve looked around a web cams, not sure if i want to pull the trigger on it or not. Looking at some plus 4 swingers, especially the lsr has caught my eye. I assume by the looks of i need to Change out brake likes and linkage for the longer one to work.

·
4,882 Posts
Yes, you’ll need a longer brake line. But most will use the stock linkage. However there is no single set rule for aftermarket parts. Some will relocate mounts so the stock linkage and shock will work and keep the proper ride height. Some will use no linkage at all, but those are more of a drag setup, and some you’ll have to get your shock redone and an adjustable link to get proper ride height.

I've read that some guys don’t mind riding on a longer swingarm, and some don’t like it at all. I personally wouldn’t run a +4, but I like to play and ride and jump.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@hoser I will probably go with the plus 4, more than likely this bike will be for a straight line stuff not really planning on jumping it. Im not very heavy rider, and the swing arm will help me keep the front down. Not trying to go full drag set up with it like you were saying.

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,521 Posts
First thing is, I have a 520 motor and I didn't have the time to get the head ported or bigger valves put in the head. I have looked around a little bit about racers edge and was curious on where they are and what they can do with the head and valve work. I want to get the head ported and bigger valves put in, I feel like the motor is being held back pretty substantially. Looking to maximize the power output from it.
The TRX comes to life with a ported head and if you describe your riding style in detail to RE it will be dialed in for your application.

I feel I have the factory carb pretty tapped out right now and doing headwork would mean bigger carb. I have seen some talk about 48mm mikuni swapping from the factory carb. Wondered if that's what people are doing and what would be needed to swap that over to the bigger carb. Such as intake boots and filter set ups.
I typically swap to the FCR carb, but I would talk to the company who ends up porting your head on which carb they suggest pulling the mods together.

Also does having an extended swing arm make that big of a difference? I was riding at silver lake sand dunes in July and I raced a 490 with some head work, ported carb, and a extended swing arm. I could never get out of the hole as good as him. After the hole shot I could keep up or gain on him slightly but could never beat him. Looking for a swing arm now -_- Probably turning this bike into a dune or drag oriented bike what should I go with for length wise.

Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks!

A longer swing-arm will help keep the front end down on launch, but it will also spin a lot easier. I went with a +1 swing-arm with +1 forward a-arms and it seemed like the magic formula for my riding style.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts