Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to race some XC this year, got my Rekluse today and installed my HRC pipe and stage 2 cam. Need a bigger tank to get through more of the race. With this bigger cam I’m in the higher RPMs more. What would you guys suggest for a tank. Looks like there are a couple out there. Don’t think I want to spend the money for the breakaway kind.

Also looking for tire susgestions. Looking at the Maxxis XC tires or the GBC xMasters. I have had good luck with the GBC on my other ATVs for fronts just haven’t used them as tears. I was looking at the Maxxis because they offer contingencies. Their price is is just almost double the GBC.

Thanks in advance for your help! I’m just wanting to know if it’s worth it for the Maxxis. I’m really going all in this year, working out 3 days a week and trying to rode when I can.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I like the IMS tanks best, they just seem to fit better and feel better riding. The Clarks were always just waiting to rack you when you hit something just right.

I always preferred jus the regular razr 1 rears and razr 2 fronts but I know they have gotten even higher now. The GBC have almost the exact tire for the fronts but their rears were more like a razr 2. The rear GBC from what I remember seemed to have less side traction and on slick surfaces I would have more trouble with the rear sliding out. But saying that my next set will probably be GBC due to price.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
I have GBC xrex rears (old design) and GBC xc master up front. Fronts are basically razr2, I cant find a difference. I siped my rears, felt the grip slide too much on turns, siping them worked well.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
3,983 Posts
Well I guess I’ll be the one to go in the opposite direction of every one else lol.

I prefer the Clarke tank over the IMS. They fit better, seem to hold their color better, and IIRC they hold more fuel. I remember having to do quite a bit of fender trimming to get the IMS to fit, but the Clarke fits perfectly and to me looks better.

As far as tires, I am an ITP fan. Especially in rough terrain the Holeshot HDs work so well, they really outperformed my buddies with Razr2 tires. But they are heavy. The XCR is lighter, but they wear a little bit faster and I find them to be better in fast trails where there isn’t as much rocky terrain.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
So question Hoser, what did you have to trim on the fenders to mount cause of the IMS tank

While we are on the subject of tires:Its all sand here really, I like the ITP GNCC the best but they wear out quick, tops every year you need to replace them.

·
3,983 Posts
The top fender mounts that bolt to the tank, those wings had to be trimmed to fit nicely in the recess that’s in the IMS tank. I just didn’t like the way they looked and sat on the tank, so I trimmed them until I was happy. The Clarke tanks don’t have that recess and personally I just think they look better.

I have GNCC tires front and back on a machine and they have lasted quite awhile, but I don’t ride that machine all the time. It’s funny, last time I took it on a trail ride I decided the rears needed to be replaced, even though there are decent nubs still left lol. They just weren’t hooking up like I thought they should, and they were sandy trails. But when they are new the GNCC tires are great! I think my favorite is the XCRs. I have them on a machine I ride a lot and I really like them. I just put a set of standard Holeshots on a quad and I’m not sure how I like them, they are sized a little different than the rest of the lineup. I’ve only got a day of riding on them so I’ll have to get some more seat time to see how I really like them, at least they were cheap lol!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I had no trouble needing to trim on my ims, I was running maier fenders on it though not sure if that made a difference. That did make me think though, my tank was made for an 04-05 and I later put an fcr on it. To do that you either have to heat the tank and reshape it to keep from hitting the carb or use the newer style ims which should fit fine on the 04-05 or 06 with either carb. The clark best I remember though worked fine on the 04-05 with an fcr with no mods so that is one plus for it.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
@hoser: yea my GNCC really arent all that great imho right now. They were grippy when new and they are about 50% now but just dont grip as well as I think they should.

I might try the XCR next go around

·
3,983 Posts
I had no trouble needing to trim on my ims, I was running maier fenders on it though not sure if that made a difference. That did make me think though, my tank was made for an 04-05 and I later put an fcr on it. To do that you either have to heat the tank and reshape it to keep from hitting the carb or use the newer style ims which should fit fine on the 04-05 or 06 with either carb. The clark best I remember though worked fine on the 04-05 with an fcr with no mods so that is one plus for it.
My buddy had me help him put an IMS on his quad, he had Maier fenders and I did quite a bit of trimming to make them fit right and look good. That was a bit ago, maybe they improved the design.

Good info about the FCR fitment with the IMS tank, definitely something to think about. I’ll be putting an FCR on my quad that has the Clarke tank soon and it’ll be interesting to see how it fits.

·
3,983 Posts
@hoser: yea my GNCC really arent all that great imho right now. They were grippy when new and they are about 50% now but just dont grip as well as I think they should.

I might try the XCR next go around
It is funny how much traction these tires lose when they wear down to about 50%. Even funnier when I tell guys that I need new tires and they look at them and say, “them things have plenty of tread left” lol! I have to remind them that They’re not car tires and I’m not driving on asphalt lol.

The XCRs are great, but if you do a lot of sandy, loamy, trails it might be worth looking at the Standard Holeshots. They look kinda funny, but they’re pretty cheap, and I thought they did well on sandy, loamy trails, but again, I only have one day worth of riding on them. They aren’t real heavy duty, the sidewalls are pretty thin and I think they are a 2 or 4 ply tire, can’t remember for certain right now.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
It is funny how much traction these tires lose when they wear down to about 50%. Even funnier when I tell guys that I need new tires and they look at them and say, “them things have plenty of tread left” lol! I have to remind them that They’re not car tires and I’m not driving on asphalt lol.

The XCRs are great, but if you do a lot of sandy, loamy, trails it might be worth looking at the Standard Holeshots. They look kinda funny, but they’re pretty cheap, and I thought they did well on sandy, loamy trails, but again, I only have one day worth of riding on them. They aren’t real heavy duty, the sidewalls are pretty thin and I think they are a 2 or 4 ply tire, can’t remember for certain right now.

Yea I’m gonna have to spring for a new set of something for the spring and summer. My GNCC is decent but 1/2 worn and my gbc xrex are finally done after 4 years

Where I ride it’s either horse packed sand/desert or it’s somewhat loose. It’s a tough choice really. New a GNCC really works, razr2 type is heavier but nice too. Haha I’ll just buy both lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought some 22” xMasters for the front and 2 sets of rears 20” and 22”. They were such a good price I got them both. Some races will need that little bit of extra clearance. GBC has some good prices and last year I saw a ton of guys use them and Hess motorsports uses them for all their riders as well. My son has CST’s and they are great.

I saw the IMS in person and it looked pretty good, haven’t seen the Clarke yet. With my motor mostly stock I’m going to do some riding and see how long I can get. Wish all the stock plastics still worked. I just don’t want a clear or natural one. Probably just black.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
Yea, Im torn I like both the GNCC and Razr2 style GBC. The GBC i have now as prev mentioned are worn. Ill prob buy another set of GNCC and look for some ebay GBC when the time comes. siping the GBC sucked (took forever) but the traction gained was super nice.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I ran xc for years with a variety of tanks. I ran in the beginning with a stock tank in the lower classes and could make it through a race running about 1.5 hours. When I moved up in classes I went to the bigger tanks. Most of the local series would run 1.5-2 hours and I could make it without any additional gas. The GNCC ran 2+ hours and I might stop just to get a shot of gas in the more wide open races, most of the time it was more so of a precaution. I ran A and my brother was running Pro Am in Mid South and neither of us had to stop for fuel during the races on 90% of the tracks. But some times you barely had anything left when you finished.

Was thinking on the fcr and IMS thing, it is mainly on the 06 up trx carb on an 04-05 tank. If you run a crf or yzf carb I don't think you have the same issue as the trx carb is taller on the cable side.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
The Clarke gas tanks are hands down better than the IMS. The Clarke tanks retain the original width and the fit is like factory. No cons to the Clarke.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, Im torn I like both the GNCC and Razr2 style GBC. The GBC i have now as prev mentioned are worn. Ill prob buy another set of GNCC and look for some ebay GBC when the time comes. siping the GBC sucked (took forever) but the traction gained was super nice.
Hey CJM, I was kinda like you, I liked the ITP GNCC tire, however the ground buster 3 tire is pretty much Identical. I actually ended up ordering 4 of those and they sent me a pair of the Ground busters and a set of the XC masters. I'm waiting until they regain their shape but the Ground buster 3's are softer and have the sipes. the XC masters are heavier and a little harder, you can feel the difference in weight. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. they both look good and the XC master does look like it will have better wear but it is harder for sure.

·
Truck Yea
5,288 Posts
Hey CJM, I was kinda like you, I liked the ITP GNCC tire, however the ground buster 3 tire is pretty much Identical. I actually ended up ordering 4 of those and they sent me a pair of the Ground busters and a set of the XC masters. I'm waiting until they regain their shape but the Ground buster 3's are softer and have the sipes. the XC masters are heavier and a little harder, you can feel the difference in weight. I'll snap some pics tomorrow. they both look good and the XC master does look like it will have better wear but it is harder for sure.
Ya know Ryan, for the heck of it I looked at them. Cost at least on their site is pretty high and the ITP's are only a few dollars more on rocky mountain. real shame.. then again i got my front XC masters on ebay for like 40 bucks a tire..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts