Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first street bike back in the day wasa black 85 xj700 maxim ...... i really loved that bike, and i had to get rid of it eventually, it was a a great cruiser with excellent speed and a muscle look, comfy for chicks to ride with also........

I have been watching for another bike lately to use as a commuter, and one finally came along....Ill let you guys guess what year , and model it is...but i will tell you it has upwards of 125 horsepower and even though it is very old, it will take a decent bike to ourun it..... and the best part of it is how much it cost, $800.00 bucks! it runs flawlessly, 23,000 miles , and it has mods...........ill have to tell the story later of how i scored this bike... And yes , they painted it blue! its kinda korny looking and far from the original colors, and not a very good paintjob either when you get up close, but hey .... i read on here that back in the day that the ticeman used to RACE this bike, among others......lol

SO, here is my mild mannered commuter :_specialED: for the record, it is my 4th yamaha...lol

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is a yammi... lol funny but...you have to concede, and here is another clue...when this bike came to production , everyone else (well most sportbike from then on from the big 4) decided to copy this frame, and they still do until this day
yamaha really set the trend , not too mention, 5 valves per cyl? get out of here!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep its the 87 FZR1000 Genesis , a pretty big bike for Yamaha at the time....not in size, but in terms of the technology it brought.... oh well, it beats a scooter

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i would rather it was the original scheme..... here is what it was before the plastic and wheels were painted..

i still have to have a 80's or 90's VMAX someday though......

G

·
yep its the 87 FZR1000 Genesis , a pretty big bike for Yamaha at the time....not in size, but in terms of the technology it brought.... oh well, it beats a scooter[/b]
what do i win?

jk

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a free ride! come on over and ill let you throw a leg over it if your man enough! I know i haven't had it in 5th yet...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It looks to be in pretty good shape :yes ...and has low mileage for the year... :yes

As much as I enjoy ripping around on my 450R....I have to admit....cracking the throttle of my sportbike still leaves me grinning ear to ear :thumbup:

Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
back in the day i had a friend who had one. an 87.

he had told me it was tricked out some... if i can remember right... it had the bottom of the 750 for it's 6 speed trany... crank an cylinders of the 1000... and 750 head to bump up the compression a little.

I'm not 100% sure I have my facts straight but I do remember that bike having no problem keeping up with a new(at that time) 92-93 gsxr 1100.

I guess she was a wild ride!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, and yes, intoxicating.... I have missed having a bike for the last 10 years, now its a must have... i scored it off of craigs list, the guy listed it in may and wanted 1700, it ran a little rough and didnt sell, so he sent the carbs off to phillips in Cali, and had them rebuilt and now it runs even better. He re-listed it for 1200 when his wifes car went into the shop. Poor guy was under the gun and in the doghouse and the wifes car was ready to be picked up and balance paid at the shop. Funny thing was he lived two blocks from me and I did not really know him, but he seemed like a cool guy, so he brings it over and i rode it around in a few gears, trying hard to NOT buy it. So I said, How much right now cash? Poor guy said i have to have 800 now! I almost felt sorry for him, and so i helped us both out! It came with a manual and a stack of receipts from every purchase and oil change. It has a supertrapp full 4-2-1 exhaust and K and N pods and Dyno jet kit on the stock carbs, and a wiseco 1040 or 1070 kit cant remember...it hauls!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nice find for $800!! No deals like that around here lol. I def like the original color scheme better than the blue too. But hey, for $800, I'd jump on that too!!

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
i would rather it was the original scheme..... here is what it was before the plastic and wheels were painted..

i still have to have a 80's or 90's VMAX someday though......[/b]

Find a 85 vmx12!!!! DON'T SETTLE FOR ANY OTHER YEAR. The 85 didn't have the best brakes but it had the best motor, period, no questions. And since this is a bike that is ALL about the motor, get what you paid for. Personally, I can't wait to ride the new VMAX.

1987 FZR1000! I spent plenty of time with one of those!!!! And it's little brother, the 1988 FZR750RRT SP. I think I may even still have a set of Cosworth 13.5:1 1030cc pistons and a set Crower Ti long rods for that engine. Tall crown pistons, not a big dome. I can't remember for sure but I may still have a set of Factory spec Grobenwachter billet race cams w/ vernier sprockets as well for that.

Something that you should do right away is check the valves!!!!!!!!!!!!! 23000 miles, most likely not-to-nice miles either. Sync the carbs too. Otherwise, you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts