Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a HR+3 501cc build. Venom head, +1 ex valves, HC3, stock carb, modified ESR, Pulse Charger exhaust.
I am curious to get some input on the shape of the curve.
Before we go down the "it's the porting" road, here's what I am wondering about....................

1) Several people have commented on the HC3 being advanced out of the box. Does this curve indicate an advanced cam?

2) The Pulse Charger has been around for some time. I personally liked it and sold my Rossier after I tried it out. Does this look like the pipe bottle-necking it? I maight be getting to try out the DASA very soon...........................

3) And of course a 43mm FCR would help too.

Most interested in #1 and #2 input.
here's the graph!

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
I'm convinced the HC3 is a performer right out of the box...be it a little advanced or not.

I'm betting the PC exhaust isn't that bad and is pretty free flowing. Just as long as it isn't falling apart...I'd go with a bored 43.5mm FCR first...then a DASA pipe later on.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
im betting on the tires maybe the exhaust when was it packed last?

i dont believe its really any of the components but perhaps the combination

·
Registered
744 Posts
id definately give a big carb a shot,youll probally need it to be a top performer,[/b]

You can always come pick up my Carb and test it....... I call it the REAL HETEROSEXUAL CARB..... Dasa 44mm

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
i dont have the dyno sheets on mine. he never e mailed them to me. ( who cares ) but when i looked at them there. mine tailed just before the limiter. but when riding it, cant tell a bit. feels like it never stops pulling. i still run the HC2.

your curve looks great though. i like making my power in the stock rpm range. i just got a dynotec and springs for when the hill is dry and i get lots of spin. 50hp at 9000rpm is the same as 50 at 11,000. and you get there quicker.

jesse, these are good questions though.

the hc3 is one of my questions also. curious if the advanced state that the HC3 appears to be in when installed as a drop in is in fact what hot cams intended for this cam. that it is advanced as part of the design. AND............... is timing it to straight up a better way to go. gary stated in norcals hc3 post that he had better power when it was degreed.

i have to believe that the cam is intended to be a bit advanced.

i sure would love to see some dyno runs with this cam ran as a drop in VS degreed to straight up.

if no one does it before me, i may try it this winter.

i would bet the dasa pipe and larger fcr would make the curve stretch out further to more on top with better over rev, but not really fatten it up in the midrange.

my buddy rode mine and said it was the fastest and smoothest 4 stroke he had been on. and he's been on a pretty stout 511. and oh yeah. thats when i was a stock bore with no fcr. so i know you got a runner. dont let that dyno sheet trick ya.

not to sound like a smart as?, but what is it that you dont think is right about it???? looks like a screamer to me.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not to sound like a smart as?, but what is it that you dont think is right about it???? looks like a screamer to me.[/b]
Oh no, not at all. It runs STRONG. I'm pretty happy with it.
I would have like to of seen it keep climbing till about 9K before the dip.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Not to stir the pot, but to add:

1) A HC3 will pull 10k+ RPM easy.
2) A bike in the 490-500 range will make 60 walk in the park with the stock carb.

There are 2 things that need to be crossed off your list in your search, neither of those are your problem.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
With knobbies morgan?[/b]
Not with knobbies. But than again the difference might be 3-5 in tires. So 53-55, still not in the range I would put a carb on a build of that size.

Also state of the art facility, and dynoing on knobbies dont go together.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts

2) A bike in the 490-500 range will make 60 walk in the park with the stock carb.

There are 2 things that need to be crossed off your list in your search, neither of those are your problem.[/b]

in his original post with the dyno sheet, the dyno was said to be a notoriously low reader. so he could very well be making in the neighborhood of 60hp????

jes, maybe dynoing on a different dyno would help ease your mind on that. and definately show if the lower numbers are dyno related.

man........ would that strike up a discussion. a dyno that varied by 8,9,10hp from what others may show. ALSO.... the knobbies are a big variable in the whole equation.

Jesse.... any idea what a stocker did on the dyno???? that could be more helpful to compare, rather than the highest numbers that had been ran on it. JMO

but that indeed does'nt help explain it tailing off on top.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

There are 2 things that need to be crossed off your list in your search, neither of those are your problem.[/b]
No pot stirring noted. It's information I'm looking for.....................................
But I'm not sure which 2 things I should scratch off the list.

Also state of the art facility, and dynoing on knobbies dont go together.[/b]
LOL!!!!!!!!
That place has an IMMACULATE shop. Very clean and well maintained. I don't know if hey offer in house machine shop services. And they have a nice retail show room.
I come from an automotive background and I was very impressed with whoever is on top of that shop. They keep it very well organized.
But ya, the knobbies really bummed me out. If I had known I might have been able to score some borrowed tires.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts

in his original post with the dyno sheet, the dyno was said to be a notoriously low reader. so he could very well be making in the neighborhood of 60hp????

jes, maybe dynoing on a different dyno would help ease your mind on that. and definately show if the lower numbers are dyno related.

man........ would that strike up a discussion. a dyno that varied by 8,9,10hp from what others may show. ALSO.... the knobbies are a big variable in the whole equation.

Jesse.... any idea what a stocker did on the dyno???? that could be more helpful to compare, rather than the highest numbers that had been ran on it. JMO

but that indeed does'nt help explain it tailing off on top.
[/b]
Well in that case, its a mid 60s HP bike with reading 10 low and then another 3-5 for having run knobbies.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You never know, it could be the dyno itself. I personally ran my quad on two dynos one week apart with no changes, both dynojet dynos, and there was a 9 hp difference. I don't know if it was a setup issue or they just didn't know what they were doing at the first place but I watched them run it and I saw the numbers. I'm just saying that the dynos can vary greatly.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jes, maybe dynoing on a different dyno would help ease your mind on that. and definately show if the lower numbers are dyno related.[/b]
I'm really not to worried about the actual "number" so much as I am about the overall picture. Yes, I would love to puff out my chest and throw down some big numbers, but it is what it is. I know it can make more with some help. Whether I post 40 50 or 60, it's how it runs that matters. It seemed to rev out more when it was a 480 with the early HRC. But it has more power everywhere now. Except at the tippy top. At least that's my impression.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what kinda of tires was used? a more radicaly tread design tire wil make more power loss[/b]
Stock '05 450r tires.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
u turning into a dyno queen steve? lol

dyno a side, maybe its the exhaust not pulling to the top? maybe the quads starving for fuel? ya wouldnt think 1-2 mm bigger carb would make that much difference but maybe its the FCR carb design in general? inconsistency with the knobbies? valve float u running aftermarket springs?..

Just throwing stuff out there

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
stock tires aint gonna help ya...also im curious if the dyno is loaded or not...as well i think a big carb will help much...on PC have you pulled core out? that make for some great power over reg version...and lastly i felt the bike was tuned too rich on the blue line by a long ways...just my opinions...

good luck!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts