Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with running a lighter than stock flywheel? I'm trying to free my motor for a little more oomph in the dunes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
the lighter flywheel will kick your butt out in the dunes... will cause the bike to stall more often....... If anything for the dunes I would go a little heavier....

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,050 Posts
i went to a trailtech lightened flywheel and havent noticed the bike being any more prone to stalling than it was with the stocker. it does rev quicker and made a bit of a difference (not huge) in acceleration.

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
i'd be careful though....
i thought trail techs flywheels were the ones that were always coming apart and turning into 2 pieces??? lol

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,050 Posts
mine is just about 2yrs old and no signs of failure. just rebuilt and everything looks perfectly fine

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I hate lightened flywheels..........they have never done anything for me but rev faster in the garage....and cause issues....

heavier flywheels have always made better power......rev higher....... and help compensate for extra stroke and bore....

jmho....

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
i used a -4 for a short time. i did notice some stalling issues but what was worse was that when i launched (with paddles) the motor boged down some. the heavier flywhee seemed to keep the motor spinning better.

i didnt even notice any quicker reving.
no pros and 2 cons for my experiance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far guys. Hey Hawk-TRX, nice to see that there are more Northern Cali guys on this site!

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
and four strokes need the mass / inertia to easily roll over the intake/compression stroke. you take it away and it starts to want to bog and stall easier. 2 strokes don't have that problem as they fire on every stroke.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I know this doesnt mean crap but, in softball if I go from 26oz bat to a 27oz bat my swing slows down tremendiously. But if I get a loaded bat 26oz w/ 2oz end load look the f_ck out bomb city. It is all rotating mass.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
if your -4 oz flywheel is working for ya.........dont change it.....

and like you just mentioned.....4oz aint much..... until it is placed at the very end of a rotating object turning at high rpm... then it can be quite a bit......

and actually....2-strokes were probably some of the first machines to use Plus weighted flywheels...... they make a 2-stroke a much more 'trail riding friendly' bike..........

but Scott is right......the compression impact in a 4-stroke is tremendous...... hence the reason why these things have decompressors....and their 2-banger counter parts do not.... heck, I can go outside right now and kick over my CR250 wearing my house slippers....... try that on your 450R WITHOUT a decompressor...... the added weight helps to overcome the cycles in a 4-stroke..... remember...they only fire ONCE for every TWO rotations...... they need a little help.....lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
I run the -4 in my setup, I don't dune but I know when I run dirt I am able to launch out faster. I dont get near the traction of a dune and the tires are constantly spinning so it benefits me. If your dragging from a low rpm or running where your on the throttle under a load a lot I would not recommend it.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts