Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of brand new ITP black baja wheels a while back and had new MXR6s mounted on them. The left front kept going down so i checked the tire. Nothing. Bead, No leaks, stem, no leaks. Then I had the rim dunked. It leaks where the 2 pieces of the wheel are welded together where the bolt pattern is from the center of the wheel!!!!! This has to be a factory defect. Problem is I have already used it and it only leaks down every few days. Can I cram some JB weld in there when there is no air in it to get it to seal? Here are some pics. You can see where the 2 pieces of the wheel are welded together, there is a seam. It bubbles out of that seam. Is it fixable without sending it back????? Thanks fellas.

Heres the pics sorry Im dumb.

·
Desert Racer
2,276 Posts
I had this same problem a few years ago with a set of Baja's. Bought a brand new set and one of the fronts leaked from the same place. If you take the tire off, you will see the seam that is welded that connects the two halves of the wheel together. The weld must not have been complete, allowing air to leak out. I ended up sending mine back for a new one. The new one and a few that I have bought since had silicone sealing the two halves, so ITP must know there is a problem and that was there fix for it.

I have no idea if the JB weld would work, but you could always dismount the tire and silicone the same way ITP did it. I never had a problem with the new whells I got that were siliconed.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this same problem a few years ago with a set of Baja's. Bought a brand new set and one of the fronts leaked from the same place. If you take the tire off, you will see the seam that is welded that connects the two halves of the wheel together. The weld must not have been complete, allowing air to leak out. I ended up sending mine back for a new one. The new one and a few that I have bought since had silicone sealing the two halves, so ITP must know there is a problem and that was there fix for it.

I have no idea if the JB weld would work, but you could always dismount the tire and silicone the same way ITP did it. I never had a problem with the new whells I got that were siliconed.

Doug[/b]
I think I may try having one of the guys where I work weld it on the outside again and see if it will hold up. I dont want to dismount the tire if I dont have to, I'm cheap and lazy. Sounds like they should put that silicone on all of them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if ya can get somebody to tig weld that is very good than you should be good, i konw a few around here that are very good hope ya get it fixed

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
if its leaking from there then dont mess up the wheel by welding it there. maybe just tack it to keep the crack from spreading. if you put jb weld it might fix it for a little while. take the tire off and check where the two halfs meet, find the leak and fix it there. not long ago my bro had this problem on one of his wheels. we used some of that clear 2 part epoxty and has held up ever since.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
Your favorites.. beer and summer or quads and beer, or pussy and beer? Im confused....

Oh...back to your problem to fix it will take about 10 minutes seriously...Buy a tube of silicon at the auto store or whatever, break the tire off the bead (you dont even have to unmount it all the way) and gob some silicon on the inner half, I fixed my kids quad wheel this way and its been good ever since..

To tig weld it, you would have to totally unmount the tire, (tig welding takes alot of heat) clean the powdercoat off, brush it with a stainless brush and tig it. Then recoat it... Prolly about an hour job and no guarantee you will weld it any better then the chinese kids did it at the ITP factory....Just saying what seems easier to me....

Oh and for what its worth ITP are fuggen JUNK... I wont ever buy a set of thier cheap ass wheels OR tires again... Premium price for JUNK.. Ive had about 3 sets of ITP tires, EVERY SET LEAKED!!!!

2 Sets of ITP rims and all of them bent within the first 6 months of owning them.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your favorites.. beer and summer or quads and beer, or pussy and beer? Im confused....

Oh...back to your problem to fix it will take about 10 minutes seriously...Buy a tube of silicon at the auto store or whatever, break the tire off the bead (you dont even have to unmount it all the way) and gob some silicon on the inner half, I fixed my kids quad wheel this way and its been good ever since..

To tig weld it, you would have to totally unmount the tire, (tig welding takes alot of heat) clean the powdercoat off, brush it with a stainless brush and tig it. Then recoat it... Prolly about an hour job and no guarantee you will weld it any better then the chinese kids did it at the ITP factory....Just saying what seems easier to me....

Oh and for what its worth ITP are fuggen JUNK... I wont ever buy a set of thier cheap ass wheels OR tires again... Premium price for JUNK.. Ive had about 3 sets of ITP tires, EVERY SET LEAKED!!!!

2 Sets of ITP rims and all of them bent within the first 6 months of owning them.[/b]
I'm not impressed either. The MXR6s dont last at all, they are almost gone already. A new 100 dollar wheel shouldn't leak like this. I will just break it down and silicone it although I REALLY didnt want to break it down.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

2 Sets of ITP rims and all of them bent within the first 6 months of owning them.[/b]
I'm not impressed either. The MXR6s dont last at all, they are almost gone already. A new 100 dollar wheel shouldn't leak like this. I will just break it down and silicone it although I REALLY didnt want to break it down.
[/b]

100 for the wheel? when i had that set i paid 69.00
i never had problems with them, liked them alot.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

[/b]

100 for the wheel? when i had that set i paid 69.00
i never had problems with them, liked them alot.
[/b]
They are close to 100 bucks in motosport right now. The price may have went up, quality definitely didn't. They are strong though my buddy smoked a tree with the left front and didnt hurt a thing.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My brand new Bajas do the same thing. I will never buy them again. It takes about 2-3 days for them to lose air. I bought Bajas for my second set when I race GP's, so I only use them once in awhile. Thats why my desert tires are on Hipers....Indestructable and never leak.

·
Registered
745 Posts
try this, if u have an aircompressor. blow air back through were u found the leak. put some soap and water on the inside of rim and find the spot were it's leaking then put some silicone, epoxy or jb weld on that spot.

we used this method of blowing back on the exit point to find the leak on the inside of aircraft fuel tanks.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
My brand new Bajas do the same thing. I will never buy them again. It takes about 2-3 days for them to lose air. I bought Bajas for my second set when I race GP's, so I only use them once in awhile. Thats why my desert tires are on Hipers....Indestructable and never leak.[/b]

the bajas are 100 bux. for 50 more he could of got hipers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts