Honda TRX 450R banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
slowly kick the machine over as soon as you feel resistance stop kicking bring the kick up to the top and then kick it over. it'll fire right up

·
Registered
311 Posts
Kid next time you see someone on a thumper dirt bike watch how they start them. The do what nacs described. Also all the pros will bring the piston to the compression stroke during a cold start race.

Unforutely I had to figure out this trick on my own. I was almost thrown over the handle bars of an xr400 when it came back on me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if you've got the time sure, but if you're in the middle of a race you prolly won't have time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agreed, the guy who screwed his case up, prolly had his throttle pinned on the wrong stroke. I do the same thing...push on it softly until resistance is felt, then kick it. I try to do it during hot start too...I keep forgetting to grab the hot start too :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
wow! i cant believe that thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The thing that worries me most is my friend always hops on my 450 and kicks it and well he aint got the leg to kick it over but he thinks the problem is he needs to hit the throlttle i always tell him not to and he said it wont do nothign, well im glad my bike didnt prove um worng yet, i was lucky, but hes gettin showed this forum before he starts it again thats for sure!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is just a guess or a idea but

could it be that since these high rpm high performance machines probably have a very advanced ignition and when u kick it if the piston slows too much or comes to a stop close to TDC then the motor fires it wont have enough enertia to carry the piston past TDC there for shooting the pison back down backwards

and for the people that were wondering why the crack is by the kick started it throws the kick lever back up and when it runs out of room to go all that force has to be taken by the case which is very light magnesium and aluminum

·
Registered
27 Posts
In reply the trx450rlude

i have a few questions i would go look at my 450r but thats right i done have one maybe in a month or two when i decide what to do with the 250r

anyway how exactly does the choke work on this carb from what you post it sounds like the jets are blocked off and some other hole or orfice in the carb throat is opened

then the needle and seat it seperated alowing the float to overflow into the carb body is this correct ????

since it probably isnt i would like a little more indepth describtion just because i like to understand stuff thanx

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone here as ever owned a 350x, then they know about kickback and it hurts, but on a 350x it doesnt break the case like that unfortunate person's bike in the picture.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts