Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I ride we have a lot of tall but pretty short doubles. The jumps come up a good 8 feet high but only span about 20 feet. Sometimes I'll take the jump a little too fast (I guess that's what happens when you're all pumped up and excited with a big old s*$& eatin' grin on your face) and I miss the landing lip and come down pretty hard on flat ground. I know I need to adjust my suspension because I've bottomed out my 450 a few times doing this (only in the front not the rear). My question is, how should I land these jumps when I miss the landing lip? Should I pull up on the bars a little so the rear lands first? Should I land on all 4's? I know this sounds like childs play but I just started riding quads about 4 months ago when I bought my 450r. Before that I rode dirt bikes, but even that was 8 years ago.....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
what you want to do when landing is give it gas right before you hit the ground. You want to get your back wheels spinning at about the speed you are flying through the air, or faster. This will keep the momentum of the bike in a forward motion, and it takes all the weight off the shocks when you land. Almost like trying to ride a wheelie on landing....and keep the front up....when you land with no gas or forward momentum, all the weight of the quad, and you are thrown directly down onto the shocks....thats why it seems to bottom out so easy....practice landing on the gas, and you will notice alot softer of a landing. This will allow you to jump higher and further, with less stress on the bike, and you.... B)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good lord what a difference a little throttle at the bottom of the landing makes :) thanks for the tip it worked so well that i deliberately overthrew my jump so i could land on the flat :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts