Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello yall!
me and a buddy of mine is thinking of going to Glamis.
I'm from Ky and the trip would be extremely long.

my friend is a truck driver and has drove past there several times,
so getting there worry free shouldn't be a hassle.

so.....my questions are toward the ones that have been there
and/or live close by, is to give us pointers before we make
this long journey.

obiviously we need tires and bring plenty of jets so give me
more of the local knowledge of duning at this most famous
attraction.

I'm sure some of you have a dream vacation or a paradise
in the back of your mind that you've always wanted to go.
this is one of mine.

don't know exactly when yet but we are talking about it very seriously.
as far as transportation, he has an enclosed trailer but I'm thinking about
renting a RV or something similar.

let me know fellas,
and hopefully I can meet up with some of the orgers
and have a dunning blast!

thanks for any info.

·
Jim
2,823 Posts
We have a group of 10 from the Dallas Ft Worth area, going out to Dumont, then Glamis Leaving on January 31st and returning on the 7th of February. We went last year and had a blast. We had two enclosed trailers and 1 toy hauler that slept 7. We picked that week because the crowds are not as bad. Super Bowl weekend and all.

You deffinately do not want to go out there before The end of October and no later than the beginning of April unless you plan on riding at night, or like 120 degree temperatures, in the shade....

Just FYI we picked up the toy hauler in Arizona and only paid $650 for the week, between the 7 of us, it was pretty reasonable, keep in mind there are no hookups for running water or electricity.

Good Luck making the trip happen, it is definately worth it, like your friend, I used to drive through there every weekend going home to Phoenix from San Diego, and just couldn't wait to get a atv and hit the dunes.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
when you get there, youre not gonna want to go home.

its really up to you on how you wanna camp there. an rv or toyhauler is deffinately a plus. If u rent one they usually come with a generator so you can power up lights, run the a.c., heater for shower etc.

there is no full hookup there, but theres a tanker that goes around to empty and fill your water tanks, thats a big help.

i think the"pound" a fenced camp area for RV's behind the glamis store is now full hookup but i think you need a membership for that.

look at the glamis map so you get an idea of where you want to camp.
the washes are closer to olds hill and gecko is of course closer to the flat drags.

theres alot of people in here that ride glamis, everyone does it diffrent so see what you like and post up when you decide to go.

·
Jim
2,823 Posts
when you get there, youre not gonna want to go home.

its really up to you on how you wanna camp there. an rv or toyhauler is deffinately a plus. If u rent one they usually come with a generator so you can power up lights, run the a.c., heater for shower etc.

there is no full hookup there, but theres a tanker that goes around to empty and fill your water tanks, thats a big help.

i think the"pound" a fenced camp area for RV's behind the glamis store is now full hookup but i think you need a membership for that.

look at the glamis map so you get an idea of where you want to camp.
the washes are closer to olds hill and gecko is of course closer to the flat drags.

theres alot of people in here that ride glamis, everyone does it diffrent so see what you like and post up when you decide to go.[/b]

You going to come out an ride with us this year? If it helps, the Quadforce Boys are going to be there too!

lol

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas! so the best time would be in the winter months?
also is there permits or passes to purchase?

·
Jim
2,823 Posts
also is there permits or passes to purchase?[/b]
Ya you have to buy a pass for $20 from one of the vendors, and the sticker is good for all year.

Definitely the winter months. go to Weather.com and look at the averages for Brawley California. Then you decide....lol

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
is sand tires a must? lol.

front and rear?

rear only?[/b]
rear are a must.

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
here are some pics of glamis

ahhh!!!!! China wall!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

front and rear?

rear only?[/b]

you can manage on knobbies but youll regret it. get a set of paddles, rears are a must, wanna make it fun get the fronts, lets you turn when you want.
are those hipers on your picture? if so then take off the knobbies and put the paddles on so you dont have to buy new rims.

·
Registered
494 Posts
also is there permits or passes to purchase?[/b]
Ya you have to buy a pass for $20 from one of the vendors, and the sticker is good for all year.

Definitely the winter months. go to Weather.com and look at the averages for Brawley California. Then you decide....lol
[/b]
A weekly pass is $30 and a year pass is $90 per vehicle driven in. I hear it may go up again this year. :thumbdown: The pound is sponsored by the group at Glamisdunes.com you can get info there.

I prefer to Camp along gecko rd or at roadrunner which is at the end of Gecko. they are closer to the drags and a fun ride from Olds hill. As far as you are coming I would recommend throwing all the bikes in/on a trailer and towing with a suburban or crew cab to fit all the guys in then just rent a trailer or 2, you can have them delivered and waiting for you when you get there. There are also brick sh!t houses there so you won't fill the tanks too fast.

If you PM me when you know you are going I can try to coordinate a trip to meet you. And as stated before. you are not going to want to leave. I actually turned down a transfer to Virginia because I would miss Glamis too much.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE(trx450er#29 @ Aug 12 2008, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=543120
<div class='quotemain'>is sand tires a must? lol.

front and rear?

rear only?[/b]
rear are a must.
[/b]

then I quess I need to add "sprockets" to the list.
[/b][/quote]
what tires are you going to run, and what do you plan on doing while your their?
[/b][/quote]

I really don't know which tires to get/use.
and as far as doing while I'm there? play in the sand, man. lol
that's why I started this thread to get some ideas on where to go
and what to do and it's been great so far, and I really appreciate it fellas.

keep it coming, and those pics are breathtaking, the shots from the "behinds"
aren't bad either,lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

front and rear?

rear only?[/b]

you can manage on knobbies but youll regret it. get a set of paddles, rears are a must, wanna make it fun get the fronts, lets you turn when you want.
are those hipers on your picture? if so then take off the knobbies and put the paddles on so you dont have to buy new rims.
[/b]

yeah those are hipers and I plan on just switching the tires,
thanks for asking.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
some 7-8 paddle haulers should do the job. the hookup is good and can do anything.

when youre there you gotta hit Olds hill of course and Gecko rd. in the afternoon.
for kicks you'll want to swing by vendor alley to pickup some t-shirts. And if you break something you can find it there to replace.

It's verry easy to get stuck at the drag scene for hrs because of all that goes on there including running your bike up and down the hill. If you manage to peel yourself from there, go for long rides and check out Glamis, the riding there is awesome. Always take a partner, make sure you have enough gas in the tank, pack somekind of towstrap. There's cell phone reception out there, carring a cellphone or walkie talkie can be a good idea.

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
QUOTE(BadinBlack @ Aug 12 2008, 10:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=543122
<div class='quotemain'>

front and rear?

rear only?[/b]
rear are a must.
[/b]

then I quess I need to add "sprockets" to the list.
[/b]
what tires are you going to run, and what do you plan on doing while your their?
[/b][/quote]

I really don't know which tires to get/use.
and as far as doing while I'm there? play in the sand, man. lol
that's why I started this thread to get some ideas on where to go
and what to do and it's been great so far, and I really appreciate it fellas.

keep it coming, and those pics are breathtaking, the shots from the "behinds"
aren't bad either,lol.
[/b][/quote]
well i know your going to play in the sand but i wanted to know if you were going to be hill shooting or duning for the most part. since your just gonna be duning, i recomend a V paddle. either a skat trak edge or the sand star, not the best for drag racing but they dune a hell of a lot better than a straight paddle.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guess what I seen standing up in the corner in my basement?
and no one has mentioned anything about one?

hint: I think it's mandatory for duning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts