Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas I have a issue I'm hoping you can help me with. One day out of the blue my 2009 450R refused to start, weird I thought because it ran flawless when I parked it.......... so naturally I go to the common sense things like did i remember to put fuel in the dam thing and yes i had. Then moved on to spark and no I didn't have. I looked over everything I could think of and just couldn't find the problem. The next day I went out and just out of frustration started flipping the kill switch back and forth at fast as I could while cranking it(essentially just going from kill to kill as fast as my fingers would move) now it's not always fast as in I will do this for 30 seconds and it will pop a couple times then start (if I'm quick enough to stop in the middle when I can hear it just about fire. Once running there is no issue with performance. My question is has anyone had this issue ? Can I just disconnect one of the wires and be sure it is or isn't just a bad kill switch ? I have absolutely no idea why but I have a gut feeling this is deeper and 2 reasons for that is #1 I took the switch apart and cleaned it really well and same problem. #2 if I'm coasting down the canyon in neutral with the motor off I can simply turn the key on, put it in gear and fires intantly (push start or roll start) I wonder if something is just loose or dirty but I feel like I have looked over everything I could think of. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be thorough because it's hard to help if you dont have as much information as possible. Thanks guys, and gals.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,783 Posts
I have had kill switches not work to kill the bike, so I’m sure it would be possible where it wouldn’t allow the bike to start. You could try disconnecting the wires completely and see if that makes a difference. All the kill switch does is ground out the ignition, so not allowing it to do that would be a good way to see if it’s working or not.

Another thing to check would be your alves. When was the last time you adjusted them? Usually hard starting but then easy starting when warm is attributed to valves being out of spec.

·
Truck Yea
5,893 Posts
its possible a number of things that should be checked just to be sure
1. are the wires for the clutch grounded out to start in gear? just to be sure ya know. or is the switch still active
2. is the throttle position sensor working properly? many times ive swapped to a 400ex throttle on these bikes (can use longer trx90 lever) and you need to ground out the switch or the blue? plug by the harness or it wont spark
3. could be a bad switch, they are fairly cheap used, buy and swap and see.

Reactions: hoser
1 - 3 of 3 Posts