Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah the Swing Arm bolt is Super common on the 450R and 400EX to get seized... it's a 50/50 they either Seize or get bent. Believe it or not I have actually gotten a quiet a few out that I didn't think were going to come out and thought they were doomed. What I did was I ended up using and old 1/2" by 12" long Impact socket extension (that you don't plan on using again) and having someone hold it with a large pair of pliers or vice grips and wack the **** out of it with a 10 pound sledge. Be careful not to bash your friends fingers or hand off! LOL Make sure to get a replacement bolt too!

A quick tip too when re installing the new bolt I do this with all swing arm bolts is I coat it in some Marine Grease and slide it in... On my quads this sounds insane but I will go and loosen the nut and spin the bolt a little bit then re tighten it like every 6 months or if i do a chain replacement etc just to prevent it ever "Seizing" it takes 45 seconds so why not do a preventative thing just in case the engine ever needs to be removed.

"Edit" I just seen that I said the same thing as @CJM I guess I need to read through completely before commenting haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the reply guys. I've been ill the past few days so haven't been online or out attempting to remove the pivot bolt.
I did try using an impact socket extension and sledge hammer to no avail but might try using the extension again though as I'm stuck for ways to remove the bolt. Tried using a hacksaw that didn't work too well.

·
Super Moderator
2,304 Posts
Sorry to hear all of this man. We've all been through it!

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
put the quad on its side and pound the **** of it if.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
put the quad on its side and pound the **** of it if.
We've got a sliding hammer, so once I'm back on my feet and got shot of this stomach bug we're going to give that a bash. Not holding much luck for the sliding hammer though but it's worth a try. CJM that might have to be the next option as its proving to be a complete b!tch to remove. Never did I think a pivot bolt would bring us to a complete stand still like this has.

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
ive gotten lucky, all the ones i ever had to get out came out thankfully. I heated it all up, stuck a candle in either side trying to free it a bit, heated again. waited to cool and then took an impact and spun it. Sometimes i had to have someone with a brass punch and mini sledge tap as I spun.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts