Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum. Recently bought a trx450r which I'm now experiencing problems with so looking for some help on the issue.

Was out earlier today and the quad started sputtering as if it was running out of fuel then completely died. Tried to kick start it and nothing so tried to bump start the quad a couple of times and the wheels locked each time. Got the quad home, now the kickstart wont move, stuck in the upright position. I have checked the oil filter and there is small particles of metal over the filter.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
3,977 Posts
Your crank is bad.

A simple search will net you thousands of posts on all information you will need. It’s not a cheap or real easy job to replace. I usually figure a little over $1000 in parts and you’ll need a few specialty tools to do the job yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your crank is bad.
Thanks for the reply hoser. I tried to upload a video but couldn't. The top end of the engine has been stripped down, shards of metal everywhere, lots of side to side play in the piston as well. Im gutted, I've owned the quad 2 weeks now and already having to repair it lol the Joy's.
I will be planning to do all or at least most of the repair myself if I can

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is the quad?

As I'm sure you are aware, unknown issue can arise when buying used. The good news is, once rebuilt, you'll know what was done and done right. Good luck.
Hi Thrown Stones, thanks for your reply.

The quad is a 2005 model. I’m fully aware, no guarantees. There was a couple of issues when I bought it which I knew about and was fine with before buying. The hot start was One of the issues. Stripped the carb to find that the pin had seized inside so will need to attempt fixing that while the engine is out.

Attachments

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
gold flakes, those are the bronze bushings on the crank. time for a rebuild.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
3,977 Posts
That thing is in bad shape. And that cam doesn’t look good either, I’d be replacing that if it were my bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Once I've got it stripped down completely I'll be going over everything and cleaning the entire engine out. Not got money to throw at it just now so it will have to sit for a while until I pay more important things.
Engine oil was a mess as well. Dont think the bike has been serviced or maintained in a long time. Apparently the quad sat for the best part of 2 years and got used 2 or 3 times in that time.

Attachments

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
yep the gold oil is a dead giveaway sadly. on a positive note, rebuild it into what you want and you know its good then. make sure when replacing the crank you use the honda bearings. DO NOT use the hotrods bearings as they can and will fail

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys. Going to strip the full engine down over the weekend and see what's what.
Are the silver flakes shown in the pics above most likely from the crank as well as I'm dreading to think it's something more sinister.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What happens in the Left bearing will let loose and then the crank shift's over the right a little bit, and because of that the big end of a rod pinches the Thrust Washers and then they start to chew into millions of glitter pieces, eventually completely binds up and twist's and then the washer pieces then they fall out. A lot of times the thrust washers will smash up the case because they fall out completely and get jammed between the case and spinning crank. It's actually the worst thing you can do is try to bump start it or kick it over harder.

It's hard to tell but are those flakes gold or silver? Almost looks Gold, if they're gold color could have had a Hot Rods crank previously in it already.

But yes when you rebuild it go with OEM Crank Bearings! Hot Rods bearing are known to fail very fast... for some reason they some stupid Plastic in between each bearing roller that keeps then perfectly centered then that plastic breaks and then trashes the crank basically worse then the OEM crank failures.

I would recommend buying a new Left case Half, OEM bearings, and OEM Crank.

When you need some part Number we're all here for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ryan94wright for your reply.

Bit of both, gold/bronze coloured flakes in the oil its self and silver flakes in the cam cover and around the piston. Couldn't get the engine out yesterday, the bolt that holds the engine to the swing arm and frame is seized and wouldn't budge.
Spent around 3 hours last night going at it with a impact gun, sledge hammer, grinder, drill and various punches and still couldn't remove it so going to try a hack saw blade later to try get in between the swing arm and engine to cut the bolt. Thing has been a total nightmare lol

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
Ah that bolt bends often and isnt serviced. First thing I do is make sure it comes out on all of mine and coat the sucker in anti-sieze.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah that bolt bends often and isnt serviced. First thing I do is make sure it comes out on all of mine and coat the sucker in anti-sieze.
Thanks CJM. That would explain why its refused to budge, it took a good beating yesterday and i only managed to move the bolt a couple of mm either way. It's been a complete nightmare. Will need to get a new pivot bolt once I manage to get this one out and buy some anti seize as well.

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
Yea get a new bolt for sure and coat it and then remove it every season and recoat it. Walsh I recall makes a really nice one buts its $$$ other option is to put a set screw in one end, tap the other for a grease zerk and then drill holes in the bolt and grease it. much work for what takes 2 mins with an impact and some time to recoat it lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts