Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 trx 450r thatis hard to kick over and makes a squeal sometimes. I thought it was something internal but everything inside the case looks fine. I took off my assembly to look for any wear. But I can bump start it if I drag it behind another four wheeler. Im at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Truck Yea
5,970 Posts
adjusted the valves and decompression ever?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ball and spring that you were asking about in that old thread is for the kicker arm. It’s for the detent to keep the lever in or out.
Okay well i helped my dad rebuild a yamaha blaster and on there kickstart assembly it had a ball bearing in the inside to rotate with and i didnt know if honda was the same way?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would look at the kick starter reduction gear. I had the same issue with the squealing while kicking and spent several weekends trying to figure out the issue. Eventually tried kicking the engine over without the valve cover on and realized the engine (cam/cam chain) wouldn’t turn over every time it squealed. I took the side case back off and replaced the reduction gear with a new one and it fixed the issue. Also had a decompression issue before this issue, so after replacing that gear set, it might be a good idea to double check the decompression and make sure it is set correctly.

Don’t know of any way to see the issue with the part while having the side cover etc. off so it did take me a while to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
I have a 2005 trx 450r thatis hard to kick over and makes a squeal sometimes. I thought it was something internal but everything inside the case looks fine. I took off my assembly to look for any wear. But I can bump start it if I drag it behind another four wheeler. Im at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Did you replace the reduction gear like sdtrx450 mentioned? I had an 05 myself and had a similar issue, it didn’t squeal but made an awful sound when kicking, replaced the gear and all was well.
I know it’s an old post but did you get the problem fixed by now and are you riding?Send some pics of the quad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts