Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a request or two to list my mods. I had this going at my site, but since I killed it, I figured I should do do here. I wanted to put together a list of what I have done, what it cost me, where I got it, and how it performed. Finally what I woudl do different now that I know a little more.
Feel free to ask any questions.
HRC Cam = (kit cost $275 Steadman's Recreation)Easy Install, I have a detailed instruction I wrote, PM if needed, or Schmidthead, let me know if you want to post it here. Very good power. I never rode it stock, so I do not have a good feelign for the increase. I do know I can beat stock cammed 450's easily.
LRD Pipe = (system cost $450 LRD Direct)Easy Install, good power, good fit and finish. Slightly heavy for an aftermarket system. I had it HPC Coated($85 HPC in Bluffdale Utah), the no finish looked crappy quickly. I also polished the can. I like the power delivery. It smoothed it out even more. Very rideable.
Dura Blue X-33 w/ Billett Hubs = ($400 Rocky Moountain ATV) Easy install, its a 400ex axle, and it works fine. The sprockest are off abotu 1/16-1/8" inch. I was told all it would do is wear out sprockets a littel faster, after maybe 30 hours, there is no wear at all on my sprockets. Very nice axle, very light. The whole assembly (axle and hubs) is about 4 pounds lighter than the stock axle only. Then you hve to add in for cast steel hubs and nuts.
JB Racing +3-3/8" Long Travel A Arms with PEP limited M.A.S.S. shocks. ($1800 Baldwin Motorsports) Easy install. Most likely overkill for my application. My quad is the best handling quad I have ever ridden. I have not ridden too many LT set ups that were not MX set ups, so thats part of that. But I can't say anything bad about it. I can't get it to do anything bad ever. AWESOME!
Carbonmanatv.com Plastic hood = ($85 Carbonmanatv.com) Not very happy with the finish, and quality of my piece. I know others have been satisfied with his stuff, but I was not. I never installed it and sent it back over two weeks ago, still have not got my money back yet.
Black PowderCoat Frame ($200 for blasting and PC Metal Craft in SLC, UT) If yo have nto done this before, its kind of tough to get it all back together without any left over parts. I had many, I left alot of stuff off. The quality was awesome, the powder was thick and shiny. I only had to chase about 4 threads that were overlooked, thats good in my book.
PRM Grab Bar ($30 PRM direct) I grinded off the light brakcet, and sanded down all the welds, then polished the whole thing. I bet I have 3 hours + in that alone. It loosk great and I am satisfied.
AC Bumper ($70 Monuntain High Motorsports SLC, UT) Again I polished the whole thing, and painted teh ccenter black with Imron5000 black. Nice lookignand satisfied.
DS650 Intake tube and K&N Filter (Mountain High Motorsports $75) I got this tip from a friend, who has both a DS and a 450R. I ride sand and desert strickly, so I need no water/mud preotection. I have always got rid of myu air boxes, and this allowed me to do that. The stock intake tube (450R) is alot more restrictive thand DS. Its a huge cone, that tapers perfectly down to the carb. The DS filter is HUGE as well. I run a waterproof outerware, over a std outerware (just to be safe). Very nice modification, very good throttle response, two jet sizes up.
Tag T2 bars with Tag clamp kit ($175 Rockymountian ATV) Cr high low bend , titanium finish. I love the wide low bars, the flex of a non cross bar set of bars, is nice. I run Renthal Soft Diamond grips and RTC levers. Very satrisfied.
Skat Trak Haulers and Mowhawks 20x10x10 7 paddle on 190 douglas PC black, 21x7x10 mowhawks on 160 douglas PC black. (RockyMountain ATV and Metal Craft for the PC $500ish) this is a good combo for hill climbing, and slidign around turns. The 7 spin good so you can get it lose,adn still get good wheel spin up the hill. The only thing I would do different is go with a beadlock or reinforced rear, I am always bending them on big air.
Tracy Marsing Seat Cover ($50 Tracy Marsing Upholstery) Very high quality, highly recommended. He can do ANYTHING, let me know if you want one.
Sprocket Specialties Sprockets ($100 Rocky Mountian ATV) I have a 13&15 front, 37,39, and 40 rear) For the dunes I have found the 14/39 combo to be the best for me.
Baldwin Motorsports Case Saver ($30 Baldwin) Its nice,a dn I bought it because it was the only one available when I got it. I polished it and its nice. I have always had Pro Design, I wish I would have waited, I really like the Pro Design.
What I would do differrent: Maybe try a Sparks or Thunder Alley pipe, Pro Design Case saver over the Baldwin (its thicker), Maier hood over Carbonman, Reinforced or Beadlock rear rims.
WOW sorry that was long. I have been working on it every-once in a while for a day or so. I hope this helps some of you in your decisions to buy parts. I have pics of most of my parts up close, so if you wnat to see anything up close let me know.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
that is one kickazz bike you have there KGB but one small question I ride a lot of tight trails should I put the 13t front sprocket on? thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
i ride mostly tight trails and occasionally some old sandy gravel pits that resemble dunes. i run 13/39 gearing and i love it. the bike will actually idle in fist and not stall out

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought a stock rear and a 13 front was way too low, but thats just me and where I ride...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 13 front and it still feels too high, so I am going to try the 39 rear also. Hey DN1911, how was it changing that rear sprocket?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Jun 18 2004, 02:07 PM
I thought a stock rear and a 13 front was way too low, but thats just me and where I ride...
I agree with you if you are on a motorcross track, or if you are in a open field type area...but in some tight wooded trails, the 14 tooth is just to much for me....I would have to go, then stop and wait for everyone to catch up with me....that got old real quick....even now with the 13 tooth, I still have to ride the hell out of the clutch so people can stay up with me...

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Originally posted by twgracer@Jun 18 2004, 02:11 PM
I have a 13 front and it still feels too high, so I am going to try the 39 rear also.  Hey DN1911, how was it changing that rear sprocket?
The Changing of the rear sprocket is easy as changing the front.... just take off the wheel loosen your chain then pull your chain off the sprocket and then take the bolts out of it and you can just slide it off over everything..........

I have a 39t back up but i dont really like it all that well..... but then again i dont want people to catch up with me in the woods i want to put as much space between them and me as possible.......... :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Im sticking with stock gearing. I think it fits best on the mx track, as well as the whole quad lol. Nice looking bike KGB :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts