Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have always been running the OEM honda foam filter for my quad with no toil oil and cleaner. been workign very nice.

but i was thinking if a K&N with a pre-filter would be better protection? i have run K&N's in alot of my cars but that cars on a road.

what is everyones opinion on this?

i just feel like the foam filters need alot of oil to do the best protection and i get anal about that.

i know the K&N needs oil aswelll and might have bigger filtration text not sure if it can protect better.

can i put a pre-filte ron my foam filter, do they make these, where can i buy one? thanks alot

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
absolutely no question about what is a more effective filter.....

foam

there can be plenty of other offshoots here....such as:

is my foam filter big enough that the added siurface area of the K&N pleating wont offer any specific advantage?

is it worth it to take the big surface are advantage of a K&N and then knock it all down by putting a pre-filter on it?

my riding conditions are this_________.... do i still need a specific filter?

stuff like that.....but... which style filter is a better filter for engine protection?... foam

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I am probably one of the few people on here that is PRO K&N style filters (cotton / gauze)......I just switched all my kids CR80's to K&N and my own CR250....cuzz im sick and tired of swapping pistons out in the dunes......(long story, but I went thru (3) pistons on a bike with foam filter during just my last vacation....and ZERO pistons on the same bike with K&N...I know this is just another 'story'.....but I have spent way too much time inside the trailer on numerous occasions changing pistons on these foam filtered machines......I will never go back to foam....never)...... K&N style filters are far easier to maintain and keep clean as well.......

most agree they do not protect your engine from dirt or fine soot as well as foam....... but they do a great job in the sand.... which is where I ride a lot......

the pre-filter for foam would be a great concept...but I havnt seen any yet 'advertised' for foam..

my 450r and my buggy have pre-filters..... all my bikes do not.....(not offered).....

but like I said....you will get more 'pro foam' responses......and im not sure there will ever be a 'right/wrong' answer... its just where people ride...and what their personal experiences have been..... my experience with cotton/gauze is excellent...whereas my experience with foam is horrible........ but thats just me....

jmho....me~

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
sand riding is a perfect environment for a K&N filter......

if you really want to cry though...take a ride in a dusty\silty area witha K&N....then pull the K&N and wipe the intake with a white cloth!!! whenever i by a used machine(which i am going to totally re-build anyways) , i am only too happy to see a K&N on it so i can do the white cloth test and barter the price down... ;)

a pre filter on an oiled foam element is a NO-NO.... the oil will soak the pores of the foam element and shut down air flow almost complately

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I will agree that very fine soot/dirt can enter thru a K&N style filter easier than a foam...

however...I will also add that when it comes to debris inside my engine...... I will take the fine soot...over sand..... any day of the week.....

thats just me.....lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the awesome reponses guys. that exactly what i was looking for.

i ride mostly dirt and dust type conditions. there is no sand around me haha.

thanks again, very informative from both you guys.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
on another note....

the stock 04-05 TRX foam filter assys are too small..... restrictive....

honda upped the filter size by 40% on the 06 & up TRX's...and on my dyno testings on a 50+ HP TRX450... the K&N offered ZERO gain over the OEM foam....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Foam has been my choice for years, I have seen so many intake valve problems with the K&N. The thing I don't get at all is ,why run a filter that will let small pieces of dirt in your engine and offer no gain in HP when you wrap it with another filter (Outerwear)

K&Ns on a two stoke engine will cause you less immediate problems because of the 50% less moving parts (no valve train to ruin)

Anyways run what you want and If I was smart I would sell everyone a k&N and enjoy all the money to be made rebuilding the dusted out engine..

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I live in Central New Brunswick on the east coast of Canada...and run in some of the dustiest conditions imagineable...and I have never in 4 years had any trouble with dirt or any other foreign material enter my engine in my Rs as a result of running a K&N filter.
Gauze and foam filters both do a great job of filtering foreign debris...but they also have certain advantages over each other....

A K&N filter will not filter particulates as small as a foam filter bare...but once filter oil is introduced that changes the equation.
A K&N filter is much easier to maintain than a foam one.
A foam filter can have dirt trapped internally that can restrict flow and enter the intake system due to it's thick and sometimes multilayered design.
If running in clean type conditions (ashphalt/grass drag,etc) a K&N can be run bare and will offer increased air flow over a similarly run foam filter.<---argueing this point and suggesting a K&N will allow more dirt to enter the engine is contradictory to say the least.
Foam filters are usually cheaper to purchase.
On your 450R a seperate filter will be needed for your crankcase vent if using a K&N filter due to it's pleated design.
Most of the instances that I am aware of where dirt has entered an engine whether using a foam or gauze type filter can be attributed to improper maintenance.

I have and still run K&N filters in my 4X4 trucks-atvs-dirtbikes- in dry/dusty/dirty/muddy/wet conditions and have never had any problems whatsoever...I also use them in my sport/streetbikes, street/drag cars and snowmobiles and will continue to as long as they make them.

Choose whichever one you want...either one will give you many years of trouble free service if properly maintained. :yes

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
on another note....

the stock 04-05 TRX foam filter assys are too small..... restrictive....

honda upped the filter size by 40% on the 06 & up TRX's...and on my dyno testings on a 50+ HP TRX450... the K&N offered ZERO gain over the OEM foam....[/b]
were the filters the same size..... my neighbor had his 06 dynoed with foam first then a K&N that showed + 1.5 hp over the foam.

but i think the only reason that it because every k&N filter i've ever bought has been considerably larger than the stock foam

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,517 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that switches back and forth from a foam filter and a K&N filter and can't tell any difference in power or jetting? ( I change them out between rides )

If I had to keep one of the filters and give the other one away I would keep the Uni w/ outerwear because it's faster to clean.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
^ true.....on a 4-banger ^

I guess part of my personal experience has been with 2-bangers....and so my opinion is biased towards how foam vs cotton/gause work with them as well.....which, for anyone that has owned one of these.... the jetting becomes far more critical than a typical 4-stroke........... there are times when my kidz cant even leave camp cuzz their plugs foul out right outta the gate...... and I know exactly what happened......they over-oiled their filters..... it has happened way too often..... another reason for the switch to K&N....

small CC 2-strokes are very picky.... larger 2-strokes arent too bad....and most 4-strokes can be way off in the jetting and still run somewhat well.....

·
Oregon Coast Duner
2,482 Posts
Dunes- only run a K&N style with pre charger... I've ran foam and th sand WILL work it's way through a foam filter in less than a day...

Foam for dirt/ clay type riding...IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts