Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my delema. I live in Ontario Canada so not all trails are perfeect sand or dirt, a 4x4 is mutch more suitible for the terrain. So my plane here is to sell my 450R for $6000 obo is what I can get for it around here, and pick up a CRF 450R instead for less maintnace and just as a toy to play around on, and after I get that about a month l8er I will pick up a 4x4 for regular trail riding and poker runs. But I will not be a slow as grandpa on a 500, I got connections and will be picking up a Kawasaki brute force 750 with EFI controller, pipe, clutch kit, 28" tires on ITP ss rims all the accesories also, I have ridin this bike and its a roosting wheelie popin 4x4.

So if I do do this I can just take my bike wherever to go ripp with all my other cr 250 and other dirt bike riders (I always ride with dirt bikers ( about 10 of em) and I am always the only quade) And then I can do all pocker runs and other riding with my 4x4. And also a stock crf 450 is PLENTY of power so I can basicly keep it stock and just as a bike to have fun on.

So need your opinions on this plan. If I decide to go thrue with it it will be going up for sale this late fall, hopefuly to get a dirt bike by spring.

help me decide

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
tough decision really, if you like bikes better that what you should do, if you like the quad better you should keep it, dont just get a bike because thats what everyone else has an think about whenthey stop and talk they have to hold up there bikes or prop it against a tree while you sit there on your comfy seat

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have been thinking of this for a long time!!! See a dirt bike is a LOT less maintance, and trust me if I had the option I would keep the racing quad and have a 4x4 also. but that aint posible. So its basicly ride once a week with the dirt bikers and never in the sloppy spring and never in winter and after it rains, or have a dirt bike and do the same thing that I do now with it but then I can ride all winter spring fall and summer and go to all mud runs, poker runs and ride with my 70 other buds that got 4x4s. and they ride 24/7. But I prefer racing on the back roads with a fast bike, so why not do both and if I do do both it cant be with a racing quad.

this is where I need your help, I usualy listen when ppl try to convince me to do somthing.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
go off the deep end and make the 450 a 4x4.

OK seriously never found a 4x4 that could go any were I can't including mud. I can normally smoke a 4x4 through any terrian no matter how rough. So I'd keep the 450 and start setting it up for wood shoots don't drop it but get the suspension more plush.

Seen a few bikes run 22 inch tires out back and geared down for it get into some narly spots. Looks goofy at first but that extra inch of ground clearnce makes a big difference throw in a shortened swinger and it will go over any thing.

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
i don't think bikes are less maintenence...
explain it to me...

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you don't think you can go more places than a 4x4. Take a look at the advantages your bike has.

infinatley better front end set up and can be many times more articulate.

weight transfer and balance is not a comparison between the 2.

Rember rider emput on your bike can make up for a lot of the bikes short falls. You can't throw your weight into a big 4x4 and acheive much.

You will always have a power to weight ratio they can only dream of. what you lack in traction can be made up for in power trust me if you can crawl through it you can damn well scream through it or over it.

I can go on and on. I have had many on a 4x4 ute challenge my opinion not one can out manuver my sport bike. In fact i've gone places they can't and gone further in there mud runs then they can muster. amazing what a set of paddles,gobs of power and a whole lot of bals will do. Just learn from my mistake and watch for trees.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
i don't think bikes are less maintenence...
explain it to me...[/b]

I agree a CRF motor is not going need any less maintenance than the motor you have now. You will probably actually break more on that than you do on your quad just because the CRF is easier to wreck. Set your quad up for woods and ride.........

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how a dirt bike is less maintance than a atv.

Dirt bike : = 2 tires not 4
= less fenders to break
= plenty of power as is
= 450 engine itself is not much maintance, other than oil changes and basics which I don't mind doing

Racing Quad : = 4 tires, 2 have to be changed once a year
= a wider wheel base, which makes it easier to hit trees
= A-arms and axle that have to be worried about
= larger fenders, easier to break
= heavier machine with more tires to push, so your never satisfied with power

There is no way your racing quad can make it through some of the chit we have here in Canada
example: an average puddle on the trail is about 100 feet long, and 3-4 feet deep, with tons of logs, mud, and no run at it so with a racing quad you get stuck in it, and have to get pulled through by a 4x4, and while getting pulled through water is well over the handle bars, and when you get to the other side your bike is basically swamped!

ps help me i lost the tv remote

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with 450 bandit, I live in The Great White North also and trails here are much more suitable for 4x4's. When I go riding with my buddy's we all have 4x4's and some of us still get stuck, there are huge mud holes in the middle of a lot of trails here.

I think that would be a great switch to go from your 450 to a 4x4 and dirt. Trust me, getting a 4x4 is the right decision, and a dirt would be great to have for riping around riding with all your dirt biker buddy's and just for a fast fun ride.

I don't know why you guys compare a racer with a 4x4. There is no way you are going further than a 4x4 in the mud or the trails.

My opinion would be to get the CRF 450R and Brute Force, both great choice of bikes for what kind of riding you do.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
This is how a dirt bike is less maintance than a atv.

Dirt bike : = 2 tires not 4
= less fenders to break
= plenty of power as is
= 450 engine itself is not much maintance, other than oil changes and basics which I don't mind doing

Racing Quad : = 4 tires, 2 have to be changed once a year
= a wider wheel base, which makes it easier to hit trees
= A-arms and axle that have to be worried about
= larger fenders, easier to break
= heavier machine with more tires to push, so your never satisfied with power

There is no way your racing quad can make it through some of the chit we have here in Canada
example: an average puddle on the trail is about 100 feet long, and 3-4 feet deep, with tons of logs, mud, and no run at it so with a racing quad you get stuck in it, and have to get pulled through by a 4x4, and while getting pulled through water is well over the handle bars, and when you get to the other side your bike is basically swamped!

ps help me i lost the tv remote[/b]

Then whats the question?????????? Sounds like you have answered it........

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want a dirtbike get one! idk if you wuill get6000 for an almost stock 05 450r though. Also even if you switch over and decide you don't like it you can always switch back. Buy what fits your riding needs the most.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my bike aint to stock either. I got HCII, 480 big bore, 12:5:1 piston, and evrything els in my signature.

I just wanted opinions on what yous would do in my situation, becaus I love the quad but still aint sure on what to do.
so put yourself in my shoes. I realy have my heart set on getting a dirt now, butI will die to see my TRX go.

Just basicly do yous think I will regret doing this or benifit from it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just bought a 2007 CRF450R a few weeks ago and I LOVE it!!!!!!!!

A Lot more challenging to ride, but a BLAST! And, a LOT easier to work on.

I still Love my TRX, especially in the sand, but the bike is definetely a Challenge to ride and a LOT of fun.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see now thats what im talking about!! I have never ridin a CRF but have ridin a Kawi kx 450 and in 4th gear (only has 4 gears) at 3/4 throtle if you crack it to wot you could fall on your azz. Im all for a new chalenge but will be basicly to have fun on, like im doing now with my trx.

Also I never plan on racing a bike, just basicly to have fun on, and with my income per year and suitibility of location its sad to say but I think Im gonna go for the dirt bike. :(

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I've never and I mean never had a utility get some where i can't, Infact iv'e gotten places some utilities will only dream of.

I've had a renegade get throughn the mud easier but not faster. Throw in a bunch of logs in some soup and i might have to rethink hitting that puddle but im sure you can find a straigh path and that's all i need in soup. 3-4 feet of water with out a snorkel is gonna screw up any bike that attempts it.

If i had the cash I would get a crf450 though, they always leave me grinning ear to ear.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
about meintanance a bike is not going to be chaeper. You will most likeley got through a tire a year and they cost more than quad tires and the wheels quite abit more expensive to. and if you think the fron end on a quad is expensive price some forks. the 450 machines can eat up some chain too, againmore expensive.

Everythin for the most part on a bike cost more. But goodlord are they fun. That's the other reason i won't buy one if i could afford it I might as while by a casket with it to because i would bury myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
where do you ride that you never had a utility get somewhere you can't?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts