Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Truck Yea
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wooo! I just got back from4 days at glamis, what a fun trip.

We load a tractor trailer full of quads, bikes and razrs and they drive it from NJ to the lot in Glamis for us. Everyone rents an RV or trailer and meets up at Pad 2. Some stay for a week or more, I only have a few days I can take off work so I usually stay Saturday to thurs before Prez day weekend (its pointless in staying longer by much really cause once the holiday hits it gets BUSY!).

Anyways this trip wow, talk about bad luck. As I am loading my quad up a friend comes over and says it dont sound right (it was running warming up). I walk over, sounds like a bucket of bolts clattering. I diag it to what I think is a bad timing chain tensioner but unknown exactly cause it has to get on the truck NOW and I cant take the engine apart at our load up spot. I have a week to get another engine out there. Find a few promising deals on ebay and try but no luck with shipping. Call the airline and ask if I can take an engine, told no issue. F it I had the tensioner overnight but theres 3 honda 450s in the group so might as well take the engine.

I find a CLEAN 07 for sale locally, buy it and yank the engine in like 2 hours. Box it up in a tote all wrapped up and we drag it with us to the airport, only for TSA to check it (only after they make me buy a baggage ticket for it for $230!) and say nope has oil and gas residue you cant bring it. Thank god we parked and didnt get dropped off, put the engine back in the car and that was that.I dont expect anyone to loan me a quad, you dont want to be responsible for their stuff incase it blows or you crash/get hit ya know. So if the tensioner dont fix it, then Im sitting there or renting one. Camper, sending the quad and the passes are not refundable really.

We got there, load mine in our rented pickup and next morning slap the tensioner on and BINGO that was it! THANK GOD. I put on over 20 hard hours while there for 4 days and not a hiccup besides burning some oil (wtf you want with a machine that has 100 hours on the same build!). We had multiple other break downs: LTR that was just fixed overheating bad so they went to a local atv dealer and bought a new yfz, scrambler 1000 that blew a CV shaft, banshee issues (of course), multiple flat tires (my paddles I use 1x a year we even tried to seal with RTV wound up going flat cause they moved on the wheel GRRR!), the done up 400ex with FCR kept clogging the carb, blew up a yfz (cracked the piston), etc. But the worse of all friend was wheeling behind our spot (he screws around to much imho anyways) stalled and couldnt get the quad started. 2 kids racing on dirtbikes pinned in 5th were coming and the one wasnt looking forward nailed the frontend of the quad as my friend jumped off (it son instagram btw). End result: bent wheel slightly, bumpers toast, hood forget it, tie rod bent like a pretzel, maybe a-arm bent. Bike bent the forks, triple tree clamp cracked in half and who knows what else. The bike rider wasnt really hurt and my friend jumped off thank god. Coulda been worse. This is what happens when you DONT pay attention! Anyways I fixed up the quad, bent the tire rod and bumper back as best as possible and we soldiered on.

Overall fun trip! If you havent been you gotta try it at least once.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,309 Posts
Wow, sounds like quite the trip lol!

Glad you got your quad running good and it was nothing more than the tensioner. What a hassle leading up to it though. But why’d it take you 2 hrs to pull the motor, should be 45 minutes max with a couple 5 minute breaks included lol!

Just saw the video on Instagram, how in the world did that dude run into him, he was looking straight at him???

Must be running with some high rollers if they can just cruise to the dealer and buy a new YFZ when their LTR breaks down ?

·
Truck Yea
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heheh I lucked out it was the tensioner. ran flawless other than a sprocket change to make up for the power the sand robs

It took me 2 hours b/c I had to pound the swingarm out with a sledge and i took my sweet arse time. A lot of the bolts had never been removed before and even with an impact didnt come out easy. I also elected to pull the rad, and drained the trans and engine oil in prep for the flight and that took forever cause it was like 25F in my garage..thick arse oil lol. Also the exhaust had a slip on, that wasnt coming off I cut the header off and the exhaust studs snapped which was nice. I can yank my engine out in less than an hour for sure.

As for the crash-according to the kid he was looking at his buddy then saw my friend stopped when it was too late.

As for the guy who bought the new YFZ, financing baby. His LTR blew, later on his other YFZ blew so it worked out well he picked up the new one. Otherwise someone wasnt riding. Same guy father in law had the polaris with the busted CV and his wifes raptor magically lost the lights somehow when it poured on us the one night and then they worked fine since. What a trip...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts