Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering possibly getting in to mx, but I mainly just want to be able to successfully put around the track and hit jumps. What is a good technique to approach the jump, how much throttle should be given and at what time, what should be done in the air, etc. I think it would be beneficial to a lot of people if someone made a how-to video, or simply gave a clear set of directions on how to jump a 450r. I know it's good to just get out there and take it a little at a time, but I don't want to just jump in and not do it right.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm considering possibly getting in to mx, but I mainly just want to be able to successfully put around the track and hit jumps. What is a good technique to approach the jump, how much throttle should be given and at what time, what should be done in the air, etc. I think it would be beneficial to a lot of people if someone made a how-to video, or simply gave a clear set of directions on how to jump a 450r. I know it's good to just get out there and take it a little at a time, but I don't want to just jump in and not do it right.[/b]
if its a quad then you take it with baby steps, go at your own pace, dont rush or you could mental not want to. start small and work your way up tp the bigger jumps, i always say start with table tops but those can be nasty if you come up short, they can kick the rear end pretty good. small down hill jumps or small stup ups arent bad landing wise but are hard if you do not know how to manover the quad in the air, get to know your back brake well and well as throttle. if the front tires are higher than the rear then pull in the clutch and tap the back brake, then relase the clutch with a slight amount of throttle before you land. if the rear end gets kicked up, pin it, seriously, pin the throttle to the stop and the front end will "rise" and level you out. it is best to ride with someone that has rode moto befoe or races. if its a bike it may be best to learn from someone that knows what they are doin. personaly for me it was really easy for me to moto the trx compared the the crf, the bike. ive been riding and racing since i was 2 yrs old, and dident ride quads much but picked up moto on a quad much quicker than a bike. the bike are alot more responsive and you can get into trouble alot quicker, but you can also ride alot faster on them. to sum it up, take baby steps, start small and work your way up, ride with someone that knows what they are doing, and try differnt lines and dont say that you cant or you may never try something, always be positive and ride safe

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You always want to leave the jump with throttle. You never want to pin it up to a jump, let off the throttle, and then let the quad endo. You want to brap the throttle last second on the jump to make sure the quad leaves the ramp evenly.

As far as landing, use your knees and stay far back on the bike. You want to land on the back two a bit more than the front but landing on all fours is ok in some cases too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
im interested in this 2. i have jumped some mostly table tops and stepped up my distance gradually. tried a double the other day tho and ended up with stitches. any advice on jumps like that?

·
Registered
458 Posts
the way i have always done it is. if its a kicker jump u need to really brap the throttle on takeoff in order to keep the front level. other wise i alwasys use a steady throttle maybe a lil brap on takeoff like derek T said. but otherwise i really agree with dewartt. go slowly and dont get pressured into something you are not ready for. and if you crash and burn. get back on and do it again cuase u know what u did wrong then lol. and always ride with a buddy i have my own track and i wont even ride it without a buddy cuase after breaking leg riding. i always ride with buddies now and wear a helmet for sure. its saved my life more than once!!

·
DS450 Rider
1,652 Posts
way i learned was to jus go for it, first thing is that you should NEVER second guess, if your goin for a jump you MUST be committed, if you think twice bout it, then dont do it cuz more than likely your going to get hurt.

its hard to get use to but holding the bike with your knees is a big help
i pin the throttle up to the jump and then just "burp" it on the lip, another important thing is to make sure that you have yourself set for the jump, you dont want to go into it sideways or you'll have a problem...

it just takes practice practice and then some more practice, everyone jumps differently, they do whats most comfortable to them, so start off with some tables and learn to get a feel for your bike before you go hitten some doubles or anything

·
Registered
259 Posts
There isn't a real way to teach you to do a jump by writing it down.
Each jump each say will be different.

best thing I did was start on a track that was very Beg. friendly. It has mostly table tops. Which I feel are the best to learn on. Yes it can suck if you get going to fast and hit it and come up short and double bounce but it happens.

NEVER let off the throttle when coming up to the face. ( like said above) It will Endo and not feel good.

I was always scared shitless of jumping. After i learned and watched people do it now i love it

As you start jumping you will start feeling the quad move and learn how to counteract that. pull on the bars/push on the bars/tap the rear brake/hit the gas/push the quad to the left/push it to the right/use your legs to hold onto the frame to help it stay straight. I had a problem with pushing on one peg harder than the other and i would go off the jump and go sideways and land.

also when landing. try to land on the gas. If you are going to land a little sideways. make sure you stay on the gas. It's saved my ass a few times

You gotta just get out there and start jumping small things at a track. I wouldn't go out and build something. You may make the face wrong and not have a good time

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I really appreciate the help guys, I'll be going to a track in Russellville, Al Track. Check out the pictures and be sure to look at the "view from above" part. It's an extremely nice track, so I plan on trying out some stuff. Once again, if anybody can find the time to make a video explaining the process, it would be really cool.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok I really appreciate the help guys, I'll be going to a track in Russellville, Al Track. Check out the pictures and be sure to look at the "view from above" part. It's an extremely nice track, so I plan on trying out some stuff. Once again, if anybody can find the time to make a video explaining the process, it would be really cool.[/b]

Don't try to shift up as you are going up the face of a jump.. this is what can happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfALSU-MAs

Learn the speed you need to get over the jump. If you over shoot it. This is what can happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Yn3pSi...feature=related

It's towards the end of both vids

·
Registered
458 Posts
Brent did the wifey take a pic/vid of what happens if your battery falls out?!?!

·
Registered
501 Posts
totally agree with starting off small and working your way up. about a week ago me and a buddy found an ole practice track someone had built not to long ago and we been burning that thing up. its got some pretty knarly jumps that i havent hit yet but as far as the kickers and tables, thats what im on now. im with motoxrider, if you are about to hit the jump and hesitate just a little hit the brakes and start over. im gonna get some videos of me hitting some of the jumps up on here if i can ever figure out how. but yea take it slow and and no matter what DONT HESITATE

·
Registered
259 Posts
Brent did the wifey take a pic/vid of what happens if your battery falls out?!?![/b]
No. She had the Camera and was about to than the Kill me wreck happened and she stopped taking pics >< damn her. Well that's what she told me. I don't remember about 15 mins of my life during that. lol

·
Registered
904 Posts
its hard to describe HOW to jump. but if you start with little kickers in your backayrd with no landing ramps then move to doubles etc. but all jumping is different. mx jumping compared to freestyle compared to dunes. they are all different in what you do. speed, throttle timing, how you want to land, high rpms or low rpms on the take off. its all different but takes time to master. dont do something you arent comfortable with and if possible try to have someone more experienced do the jump for you and then tell you what they did. good luck

·
Registered
458 Posts
Once you get one down its not hard to get the rest, i started at track, you should as well, the jumps there are perfext all you do is throttle it and take off, they are all perfect, dune jumpin is fun, but you gotta be loose and free and able to throw bike around cause those lips can be crooked sometimes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

if you do not know how to manover the quad in the air, get to know your back brake well and well as throttle. if the front tires are higher than the rear then pull in the clutch and tap the back brake, then relase the clutch with a slight amount of throttle before you land. if the rear end gets kicked up, pin it, seriously, pin the throttle to the stop and the front end will "rise" and level you out.
@dewart

You always want to leave the jump with throttle. You never want to pin it up to a jump, let off the throttle, and then let the quad endo.
@derek_thompson24

way i learned was to jus go for it, first thing is that you should NEVER second guess, if your goin for a jump you MUST be committed
@motox_rider695

1 - 15 of 15 Posts