Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 04 450r on FB marketplace I asked the guy if it had any issues he said it needed to be rejetted and it had a small exhaust leak around where the slip on and header went together but that was it. He listed all the mods that he knew of fmf header hmf performance series slip on uni filter no lid on air box and he just had these mods added a couple days before I bought it less than 1 hour running time on them new 13:1 cp racing piston new jug new stage 3 hot Cam new rings new timing chain and guides new kibblewhite black diamond valves seats and springs. I know some of those mods might not effect the jetting IDK but what I would like to know is around what size jets I should start at any info would be appreciated thanks

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
180-185 main, no airbox lid should be about right. your elevation matters as well higher elevation less fuel is needed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK and I mainly ride from 1500 to 2000 ft above sea level still 180-185? and the pilot would ya leave it alone or whats your thoughts on it? And BTW I really appreciate ya taking the time to answer thanks

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
id leave the pilot alone, turn the fuel screw all the way in then out 2.5 turns and go with 180 to start

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK that's what I'll try first then thanks and also I had an aluminum fuel screw that hung down and had numbers on it and it literally snapped as I tried to turn it so... Any brand u recommend?

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
i like the R&D flex jet myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I finally got the time to work on it a lil and I see that it already has a 180 in it so would you go to a 185 or something else or what do ya think sorry for all the questions And thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I have looked online for the flex jet but only found them for the fcr's do they make them for the round slide carbs and if so where could I order one thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing to mention if u hold the needle point end down clip is on 2nd groove from top does this sound right and when taking main jet out I noticed the lil plastic piece that goes around it was missing and the guy I bought it from said he took it out on purpose is there a reason for that or what ans sorry to keep asking so many questions but u have help me alot thanks

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
1. might not make the flexjet for the older carbs
2. unless the quad is acting funny i would mess with the jetting too much. if its to rich when you rev it out it will feel like its hitting a limiter (too large jet)
3. you need that plastic piece

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main thing it does is it like cuts out at full throttle and it like back fires or pops a lil on decel also and this is on me for not noticing it earlier I just happened to think that I never unhooked the hot start cable And I came out here and looked and it doesnt even have the plunger thing on the carb just a threaded hole there? I'm going to assume that this would definitely effect the jetting right?

·
Truck Yea
5,588 Posts
yea without the hotstart its gonna have a ton of issues. thats an air leak right there and what id work on first. popping on decel is an exhaust leak usually.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it’s jetting correctly it will pop on decel due to a aftermarket pipe mine is perfect and it pops on decel but like stated it Will also pop a lot with a exhaust leak make sure you seal it tight and if you still get popping it’s normal, start with 182 main needle on 3rd from top stock pilot 2.5 turns out and a 55 leak jet, you should be right on the money! Maybe go to 4th on needle if it’s stock needle but that’s as far as I would go, on cold days you might be 3 turns out on pilot and hot days 2 turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts