Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in HMF and only got one response. Please help.

I am having a ton of trouble jetting this thing with the HMF full system. My bike is all stock (except the pipe) and I put a 160 jet in it. I took it up to the mountains (4000-8000 ft. above sea level) and it ran like crap. I also backed the air/fuel screw out 1 turn. My plug was BLACK! I put the stock jet back in and it was better. I know I am going to lose power at that high, but this was sputtering and bogging down past half throttle. I do have a quiet core in and my airbox lid is on. I would love some help on this.

Question 1: Turning the air/fuel out does what? More fuel or more air?

Questions 2: What the hell is wrong with my jetting? Do I need to go smaller than the stock 118?

Questions 3: (hopefully Kevin can answer this): MY father in law says I should get an entire jet kit with new needles and all. What do you guys think? Do I need to change the clip on the needle at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by dan450@Jun 26 2004, 07:07 PM
I posted this in HMF and only got one response. Please help.

I am having a ton of trouble jetting this thing with the HMF full system. My bike is all stock (except the pipe) and I put a 160 jet in it. I took it up to the mountains (4000-8000 ft. above sea level) and it ran like crap. I also backed the air/fuel screw out 1 turn. My plug was BLACK! I put the stock jet back in and it was better. I know I am going to lose power at that high, but this was sputtering and bogging down past half throttle. I do have a quiet core in and my airbox lid is on. I would love some help on this.

Question 1: Turning the air/fuel out does what? More fuel or more air?

Questions 2: What the hell is wrong with my jetting? Do I need to go smaller than the stock 118?

Questions 3: (hopefully Kevin can answer this): MY father in law says I should get an entire jet kit with new needles and all. What do you guys think? Do I need to change the clip on the needle at all.
Hi Dan,

I use the one from dynojet and no real issue I am aware of..I just put it in and all looks good other than just fine tuning the Fuel misture and that is all that is left.

Go to this site http://dynamic.dynojet.com/cfml/Jetkits/atvhondajets.cfm and you will want the Q113 kits...All I can say is am am happy with it.

if you are using only a pipe and stock air box with stock filter and the lid on use a 112 jet between 3000-600 feet or a 108 jet for altitudes above 6000 feet. The mixture screw need to be turns out 2.5 turns below 5000 feet and 2 turns above 5000 feet.

Hope this helps ya out some.

Fly

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteZee@Jun 28 2004, 05:22 PM
are you sure, i dont see going to a smaller jet then stock helping him out any.
I am just going by the paper work from DynoJet kit I have.

This is all I can offer at this time...It could be DynoJet made a miss print, however I am not sure that missprint is true.

Fly

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also remember that when people talk about turning their air screws out, they are talking turns out from all the way in! Another good way to find out is by calling HMF. They should be able to help ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts