Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed HRC end cap and air box lid. installed the recommended 185 main jet and stock pilot, she runs great off idle and top end, but doesn't idle for beans and is hard to start, definately running rich. tried adjusting the idle mixture and still idles like crap. does the main or needle affect the idle circuit to some degree? Do I need to drop the needle a notch or two. Need help.
I could not believe the 118 stock main jet. Is this thing really that restricted stock?

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Yes the 450r has the top honors in the most restricted airbox category. Just look how much smaller the snorkle is in diameter than the 42mm bore of the carb. Yes, there is some overlap of adjacent fuel circuits. I would drop the clip one notch and if there was only slight improvement, I would then go for two . Good Luck....mixxer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Novanuttz are you saying you installed just the end cap and air box lid without the cam?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Novanuttz@Jun 30 2004, 09:52 PM
Installed HRC end cap and air box lid. installed the recommended 185 main jet and stock pilot, she runs great off idle and top end, but doesn't idle for beans and is hard to start, definately running rich. tried adjusting the idle mixture and still idles like crap. does the main or needle affect the idle circuit to some degree? Do I need to drop the needle a notch or two. Need help.
I could not believe the 118 stock main jet. Is this thing really that restricted stock?
what altitude.....185 is to big with the air box lid on...take the lid off and run that same set up and it will run fine.....If you want to keep the air box lid, then you need to go to a smaller main jet

I am at 0 to 3000 ft and I had the same set up...I was running a 185 main with a sparks air filter and a HRC end cap....and it ran great with the fuel screw 1.5 out or 2.5 out......that is without the air box lid.....If you want to run the lid go down to a 165 main ...that should be about right....I dont think adjusting your needle is going to help you..unless you are at a different elevation.....later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A 185 isn't too big if he installed the HRC lid, which it appears he did. I ran the 185 with the hrc end cap and lid. I am at 195 main with no lid and an hmf now.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I totally missed the air box lid thing....Oops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts