Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I ran xc with a 480 kit and never had any trouble. Some times on the more wide open gncc races I might stop to put a little in but wouldn't top it off. I was running A class Mid South and my brother was running pro am. He could make it through a race too but was usually on fumes on the 06+ models. But you are talking close to or over 25 HARD miles.

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea I should be ok then. Ill probably carry my little can with me and then get the IMS tank if it becomes an issue.

My buddy whose helping me build it has been down this path, and found that when you bore the carb it actually helps with mpg b/c its more efficient flowing. I need the carb done anyways bore or not b/c its never been opened since 2006. The internal seals are likely dried out.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,314 Posts
Im telling you, go with the Clarke tank LOL. But seriously, an extra 1/4 gallon can make a big difference, and I like the look of the Clarke better. I can take some pics of the Clarke if you want to see what it looks like on the bike.

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Im telling you, go with the Clarke tank LOL. But seriously, an extra 1/4 gallon can make a big difference, and I like the look of the Clarke better. I can take some pics of the Clarke if you want to see what it looks like on the bike.
I don’t like the giant hump the Clarke has lol. You wanna snap a few pics I’d like to see

What’s so bad about the ims?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have both. I prefer the ims just because it looks similar to the stock tank. Plus I got racked a few times on that clark tank. But either is better than stock. Mine are both natural color but I think in black they don't standout much.

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have both. I prefer the ims just because it looks similar to the stock tank. Plus I got racked a few times on that clark tank. But either is better than stock. Mine are both natural color but I think in black they don't standout much.
thats kinda why i want the ims tank.

·
4,314 Posts
It’s not that I don’t like the IMS, I just think the Clarke looks better, fits Better, holds More fuel, and it’s cheaper. I’ve had a Clarke tank for probably 14 years and I’ve never racked myself on the tank. Personally I just like the look of the Clarke more. Initially, before I got it, I didn’t think I would like the look As much, but I really like it, and The extra capacity is awesome.

So all my quads are dirty, especially the one with the Clarke tank in it, so don't judge me too much ?! But here’s a couple pics.

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The pics solidify it for me hoser, just not my cup of tea. I think Ill go with the IMS if I find my little 1.25 gal can cant help me much. The extra 1/2 gallon should help.

At this point Im just praying I can get all the parts I need because of the pandemic

·
4,314 Posts
Maybe that‘s why I like it and you don’t, I’m more of a coffee drinker ?

Lol! No worries man, different strokes for different folks! I just thought you would like the extra capacity, but if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

I don’t think there will be much of a problem getting parts at this point. I’ve been getting several orders rolling in, but I guess that could always change. Order stuff quick lol!

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lol yea must be because I drink tea haha

Friend and I took the engine down to the cases today. I snapped a pic. I found the point of failure as well..oil starvation and wear and tear. While taking it apart we found remnants of rtv in the oil pick up. Pretty sure it’s when I did the stator awhile back and found that the gasket arrived damaged. I couldn’t wait so I used some rtv and maybe a bit to much. Probably broke down over time and got stuck in the pick up. However that was something like a year ago. Maybe I’m just unlucky. I was to po to take a pic of it so have this one instead

·
4,314 Posts
That sucks. I’ve seen all sorts of crap in the pickups, just cracked a motor a couple nights ago and the last owner replaced the crank after a failure, but he or whoever did the work didn’t take any time to clean the metal out of the bottom of the cases or clean the oil strainer. There was all sorts of crap in there. And yeah, I’ve seen them full of RTV too 😂.

Have you had any parts rolling in or out yet? Fortunately I haven’t had any delay for parts, I’ve got 151 items I ordered from Rocky Mountain showing up today LOL, piston will be here tomorrow, and hopefully chain and sprocket’s as well so I can ride this machine I just cracked open the other night.

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
no issues with parts here yet. i sent my head, crank and carb to the builder in PA about 2 hours west of me, post office was running fine. I tracked it and its gonna be there by tomorrow. Rocky mountain and ebay are delivering just fine too, I got my new IMS shifter from ebay and 300 bucks worth of rocky mountain the other day. Waiting on another 300 bucks from rmatv in gears and misc my buddy sourced for me.

there goes 3k lol..

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Welp inaugural ride was this past sunday. We had it all back together last tuesday and I took it home and put the engine into the frame (friend has limited space right now). No issues, jetting is done and good with AFM, slightly rich-BUT 13:1 and pump with just some VP maddative to be sure and it was good, supposedly with the additive I had 100 octane. Thing never even got hot..

Honestly I thought the power would be a bit snappier-but its likely jetting, longer that stock gearing and the fact my back tires are about 40-50%. It makes some all around good power and is sooo smooth however. The big bore is what I missed as I had previous ones on other stuff. That low end grunt helps soo much when your just screwing around, always makes me think of a 400ex the way they deliver power.

Final build: stock redone crank (friends, mines toast), Pro-x rod (wanted carillo but unavail right now), 43mm bored carb, more aggressive ported head with +1 all around, athena 490 kit with CP 13:1 piston. We also RR the trans gears that were worn out, and I replaced all the rubber hoses. I kept the stage 2 hotcam, speaking to my builder a web would help but for what I do I probably dont need it. Only thing holding me back is the airbox. Im keeping the outerwears style lid, yes it restricts flow BUT the amount of sand it can suck up otherwise is not worth it and I attribute it to what made the last build last so long. After 3 days in Glamis ESPECIALLY! We got back, I cleaned the filter and there was a 1/4 cup of sand that came off it.

I suppose if I get new tires, and change the gearing it might help and give it more of a snap. I have 14/37 as it allows for usable lower gears. May try 14/38 or 39 just to see..

Oh btw, if you havent got one-buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Sucker CLEANED all my glitter out super well, cleaned the cases, etc. Friend has a 5 gallon one he got on amazon decently cheap.

Anyways Ill have to snap a pic to show it off.

Reactions: hoser

·
4,314 Posts
Awesome man! Glad to hear you got it up and running again. I'm surprised it’s not a bit more power like you were expecting/hoping. Hopefully it is the gearing and/or tires.

I don’t think the air box is holding you back much, on big builds there can be some gains in a different or no airbox, but on an All-around quad like yours that sees a lot of dirt, mud, and sand I agree, a better and safer filtering box is a better choice. But, if you do go with a big filter and no lid, I have had good success with the outerwears keeping stuff out of the filter, even after days of riding dunes.

I’d be curious to see how it felt if you went to the stock gearing.

Deffinitely post some pics man!

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I rode a similar setup same friend built up, 488 11:8 comp, stage 2 cam and no porting or carb and it was a bit peppier. My gearing was originally designed to be usable, as I hate having to shift 1-3 quick cause it will rev up to quick. Friend did mention the builder we use (he just puts everything together really, builder does all the real work lol) said a web cam will be a nice improvement. We shall see, gonna try a 14/38 next

·
4,314 Posts
That’s odd. Your machine should feel plenty peppy with that compression ratio and porting. that stage 2 cam isn’t very big, so that should keep it peppy as well. One thing to consider is that now that you have more power you have a more usable power band, so you may not need to shift as much even if you’re back close to stock gearing. Just for kicks, and since it’s easier to swap, I would say just throw a stock 13 tooth on the front and see what happens. You’ve got the 37 rear on there so you will still be taller gearing than stock. It just concerns me that you say it isn’t peppy. . . . . .

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Its probably the gearing. I just hated how short the gears were before due to the fact that the other setup revved up quick and made more power up top.

In glamis i was screaming in 2nd or 3rd most of the time just to give you an idea. riding in my spot now I was able to lug around in 2nd and 3rd no issue due to the torque from the big bore.

I think Ill try my 38 or 39 rear first and if its good Ill swap to 13 front and go back to 37 or 36 rear

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Update:

So riding today, its not to hot maybe 85F and fairly low humidity. Notice I smell coolant, ok not unusual that the quad pukes a very small amount (never had a 450r that didnt do this) when its hot out and your hitting it. Notice as time wears on..hmm its pushing more coolant out than usual. Check overflow-its on the low line, was on the next line or so higher before. Think about it, fan came on a few times as well. Figure normal. Riding around some more, power isnt down but coolant keeps coming.

Shut it down, took a break and when i went back to it the coolant reservoir was higher again. Well if it pushed it out, where did the extra come from? Or did it suck it back up then spit it back out before? I had coolant on the cases and on the skid. Nada out of the water pump weep hole on the bottom

Thus I feel the head gasket is probably toast..sigh

This is what I get for trying to be a cheap b-tard and run VP octane boost and not 100 octane with a 13:1 piston. Correctly jetted with air/fuel meter, discussed with my engine builder and such and we were fine. But 2 weeks ago I was riding in PA and we had to go rather slow due to all the rocks and you know these quads dont like that. Funny its been fine thus far and that includes 2 trips to PA, a trip to hatfield and local riding.

Guess Ill be putting that nice 12:1 100mm piston az quad parts sells. I can put my mishimoto oversize rad in and boyesen water pump too now. I figured id get maybe 30-40 hours out of the top end but guess not. Its currently at 25. I wish we had a place other than the dealer to get 100 octane too-there is literally nowhere within 30 miles. Interestingly enough my buddy runs 13.5:1 in his otherwise mostly stock YFZ on 93 pump gas..guess the Honda 450R is more temperamental.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
On the IMS vs Clarke gas tank I much prefer the Clarke tanks. The Clarke tanks fit perfect, look good and the hump isn't noticeable when riding. The IMS tanks are bulged out on the sides and they have more fitment issues. Clarke is just superior over IMS gas tanks.

Reactions: hoser

·
Truck Yea
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmm.. Compression test good, cylinder leak down test good. it didnt want to start up so I changed the plug, voila fires right up. plug did not stink of coolant either. I still say I should go find 100 octane anyways and order up the piston and gasket set to have it ready.

Too bad the stupid crank cover nut broke as i tightened it down. the edge sheared right off with barely any pressure. Odd.

Im curious to see wtf is going on other than perhaps it was just to hot. The oversize rad and maybe better water pump will help IDK

this is all so annoying.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts