Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I ran xc with a 480 kit and never had any trouble. Some times on the more wide open gncc races I might stop to put a little in but wouldn't top it off. I was running A class Mid South and my brother was running pro am. He could make it through a race too but was usually on fumes on the 06+ models. But you are talking close to or over 25 HARD miles.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea I should be ok then. Ill probably carry my little can with me and then get the IMS tank if it becomes an issue.

My buddy whose helping me build it has been down this path, and found that when you bore the carb it actually helps with mpg b/c its more efficient flowing. I need the carb done anyways bore or not b/c its never been opened since 2006. The internal seals are likely dried out.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,036 Posts
Im telling you, go with the Clarke tank LOL. But seriously, an extra 1/4 gallon can make a big difference, and I like the look of the Clarke better. I can take some pics of the Clarke if you want to see what it looks like on the bike.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Im telling you, go with the Clarke tank LOL. But seriously, an extra 1/4 gallon can make a big difference, and I like the look of the Clarke better. I can take some pics of the Clarke if you want to see what it looks like on the bike.
I don’t like the giant hump the Clarke has lol. You wanna snap a few pics I’d like to see

What’s so bad about the ims?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have both. I prefer the ims just because it looks similar to the stock tank. Plus I got racked a few times on that clark tank. But either is better than stock. Mine are both natural color but I think in black they don't standout much.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have both. I prefer the ims just because it looks similar to the stock tank. Plus I got racked a few times on that clark tank. But either is better than stock. Mine are both natural color but I think in black they don't standout much.
thats kinda why i want the ims tank.

·
4,036 Posts
It’s not that I don’t like the IMS, I just think the Clarke looks better, fits Better, holds More fuel, and it’s cheaper. I’ve had a Clarke tank for probably 14 years and I’ve never racked myself on the tank. Personally I just like the look of the Clarke more. Initially, before I got it, I didn’t think I would like the look As much, but I really like it, and The extra capacity is awesome.

So all my quads are dirty, especially the one with the Clarke tank in it, so don't judge me too much ?! But here’s a couple pics.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The pics solidify it for me hoser, just not my cup of tea. I think Ill go with the IMS if I find my little 1.25 gal can cant help me much. The extra 1/2 gallon should help.

At this point Im just praying I can get all the parts I need because of the pandemic

·
4,036 Posts
Maybe that‘s why I like it and you don’t, I’m more of a coffee drinker ?

Lol! No worries man, different strokes for different folks! I just thought you would like the extra capacity, but if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

I don’t think there will be much of a problem getting parts at this point. I’ve been getting several orders rolling in, but I guess that could always change. Order stuff quick lol!

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lol yea must be because I drink tea haha

Friend and I took the engine down to the cases today. I snapped a pic. I found the point of failure as well..oil starvation and wear and tear. While taking it apart we found remnants of rtv in the oil pick up. Pretty sure it’s when I did the stator awhile back and found that the gasket arrived damaged. I couldn’t wait so I used some rtv and maybe a bit to much. Probably broke down over time and got stuck in the pick up. However that was something like a year ago. Maybe I’m just unlucky. I was to po to take a pic of it so have this one instead

·
4,036 Posts
That sucks. I’ve seen all sorts of crap in the pickups, just cracked a motor a couple nights ago and the last owner replaced the crank after a failure, but he or whoever did the work didn’t take any time to clean the metal out of the bottom of the cases or clean the oil strainer. There was all sorts of crap in there. And yeah, I’ve seen them full of RTV too 😂.

Have you had any parts rolling in or out yet? Fortunately I haven’t had any delay for parts, I’ve got 151 items I ordered from Rocky Mountain showing up today LOL, piston will be here tomorrow, and hopefully chain and sprocket’s as well so I can ride this machine I just cracked open the other night.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
no issues with parts here yet. i sent my head, crank and carb to the builder in PA about 2 hours west of me, post office was running fine. I tracked it and its gonna be there by tomorrow. Rocky mountain and ebay are delivering just fine too, I got my new IMS shifter from ebay and 300 bucks worth of rocky mountain the other day. Waiting on another 300 bucks from rmatv in gears and misc my buddy sourced for me.

there goes 3k lol..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts