Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it difficult to install the kit (cam and jets)? Does it come with comprehensive instructions? Or should I just have my dealer do it? Any idea what dealers charge for installation?

Thanks in advance. Just got my 450 and am stoked!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It comes with almost no install instructions...but go to the following link on HondaRs.com for all the help you'll need. I should know, I actually did the install myself too...

HRC Kit install help

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you do a search on the 3 common sites, you will find lots of info. The instructions that come with the kit say, "refer to the service manual". Do a search here or over at hondars.com. I am here to give you a few pointers along the way. [email protected]. Yes, I think you can do it if you have any mechanical ability at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the service manual. Hopefully that'll do the trick...reading the instructions posted here, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even know how to find TDC...

Wait...I just read the direction again. I'm not likely to try installing that puppy myself!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm tellin ya guy, I had never tried anything like this, but with KGB (and others) help, I did it in less than 2 hours, and it required no special tools. All the 'gotchas' are listed in that link, enough so that I was able to do it.

Oh well, no biggee, its only a $100 or so to have a shop do it for ya...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses...maybe I'll try it...we'll see after I get the manual I ordered.

One more question: Does the kit remove the spark arrestor? I need a sparky for the places I ride.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The HRC endcap has a spark arrester in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really think you can do it yourself. There are many of us here ready to help you. The one tool that will make it easier is a snap ring tool go get the cam out. I am sure your local auto parts store can loan you one. I just used some needle nose pliers. Finding TDC is very easy. Go for it and ask us questions, you can do it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks lilthumper. I'll give it a shot. I don't have the kit yet, but I'll pick one up as soon as I get the service manual I ordered today. Thanks for the encouragement!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts