Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the group and need some help on my ignition wire harness getting super hot. I don’t know if this is the right place for this question but here it goes.
05 trx450r mostly stock, my ignition wire harness under hood is getting super hot and smoking. I have removed the ignition and wired a toggle just to eliminate the ignition failing. I’m not great and electronics but do u guys think that I need to ground to the frame or am I way off. I can still ride if I unplug the harness but cannot ride at night with no lights or tail light. Headed to dunes tomorrow and really need some advice. Thank you.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,486 Posts
Something must be shorting to be getting hot like that. Is it specifically the wires for the ignition that are getting hot? And are you referring to the ignition wires going to the black ICM box under the hood, or the ignition key switch wires? What have you done to the quad? Any lights added or other electronic doodads? The only ground for the wire harness is at the coil on the left side under the tank, there should be a wire with a ring terminal under the rear bolt for the coil. I’ve never tried it, but I’m pretty confident you wouldn’t be getting spark if that ground wasn’t there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition switch harness, yes I added a led light but that goes to the battery we added. I’m wondering if I spliced should ground to frame and see if that helps..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts