Honda TRX 450R banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys here i am stuck. i here the goods about the R i hear the bads about the R. I hear the goods about the YFZ and i hear the bads about the YFZ. Im deciding which one to get and im going to be racing it in whiplash offroad racing about each race i will be doing around 100 miles and most of the courses are desert and mostly bottom end. although there are a few courses out there like snowflake which i ran a couple of weekends ago and MAN ITS A HIGHWAY. so ya after that race im pretty sure i need to move into a bigger bike and here i am stuck. again :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Both the quads r great quads. It pretty much comes down to rider prefernce. They are soo close together that its kind of bias for people to think just because they own one type of quad that its supiror to the other. altho we all like the think that way in some way. The quad u pick should depend on your past experiances with each company and how well they treated you. I really dont think either quad wins...dispite wat the magizens and people say. there are both state of the art machinces built with all the new techologies that these companies had avaiable for them. Ride both and pick the one that you think is more comfortable/better in your mind. everyone has different thoughts about each quad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What he said is so true. My father has a YFZ and I have the 450r, there are certain areas on each bike that we each like. Everybody compares them as if they're the same when they're totally two different pieces of machinery. Just find some guys and test ride them to see what best suits you as a rider.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Even all the magazines say if your not on a MX track, then the R is the way to go. From what type of racing you are going to do, I would pick the R in leaps and bounds over the YFZ.....In stock form the YFZ has us beat on a MX track, but not anywhere else.....thats even what the magazines said....Plus the R is way more confy for most people...of course you should see for your self first. this is just my opionon.....Also, with the amount of riding your going to do...I would want the reliablity of the Honda.....It wont break on you at all....where as you have a bigger chance of the YFZ failing on you...and no matter what anyone says that is fact, and the past proves that.....

So on the MX track in stock form, I would choose the YFZ.
But for anything else, in stock form, I would choose the R....

Good luck with your decision, and you wont be dissapointed no matter what you get.....later.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Sep 15 2004, 08:33 AM
the 450r is faster  :)
The 450R has better ego's and reliabilty. It's also know to be much more comfortable on long rides. Even on a MX track you don't see any of the pro's using stock parts. They all use aftermarket shocks etc.. (so that throws the stock yfz being better for the track right out the window). I haven't rode the yfz, but I know I made the right choice!! Honda!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went nuts with this decision myself so I know how you feel. I based my pick on past experience and lots of questions and answers combined with sleepless nights of pondering the right choice!. Get past all of the hype and concentrate on which machine is best for YOU. Ride them both if you can and do plenty of research. Scour the forums, talk to the dealers, do LOTS of homework.

I'm not trying to talk up the Honda, but IMO it has several advantages in the durability, reliability and comfort departmant that would probably be well suited to the type of riding you are looking at:

Seperate tranny and engine oil is a big plus in my book. The check window is nice too.

No battery may not always be quicker but it is more reliable than the proven to be troublesome YFZ setup.

Ergos are hands down more comfortable. No contest.

10.5:1 compression ratio and slightly lower redline may keep the Hondas together longer than the higher strung YFZ.

While the back end may need some tweaks, the Honda has the superior front end IMO plus the brakes are hands down the best in all of quad land.

Don't overlook the swing arm, upper a arm, waterpump impeller seal, output shaft seal, stator, decomp plug etc. etc. problems that the YFZ's have suffered. While the YFZ's are currently outnumbering the TRX's on the track the problems are still very real and not just based on so many more of them being raced. I've noticed plenty more TRX's showing up and IMO racers are tired of all the YFZ's problems. it will be very interesting to see how many riders make the switch for next year.

Now that I've completely trashed the YFZ, I sound like a typical Honda loyalist! Don't take it that way, I'm just trying to show you the things that helped me make my decision. :D I even had money down on an 05' YFZ, that's how close it was!

·
Registered
278 Posts
there is no doubt i would go with honda i would pick a 450r over the yfz only because the reliabilty is not there with yamaha.honda's will perform 5 years later just like when they were new.the other guys are right on what they were saying.i owned my 400ex for 5 years and it runs stronger now than when i bought it new never 1 problem

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I believe for your type of racing you'd be better off on the TRX450r, My friend Ed has only ridden his YFZ about 7 times and his battery is already fried.

Making news last weekend Chris Borich, Pro GNCC Racer, switched over to the 450r for the Sparta II race and won the overall by 3 minutes. He said he will be on the honda for the next race also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720@Sep 15 2004, 12:08 PM
I believe for your type of racing you'd be better off on the TRX450r, My friend Ed has only ridden his YFZ about 7 times and his battery is already fried.

Making news last weekend Chris Borich, Pro GNCC Racer, switched over to the 450r for the Sparta II race and won the overall by 3 minutes. He said he will be on the honda for the next race also. 
And I speculate that we will see a lot more of this happening on the racing circuit. B)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I Had my 450r Like 2 months and i lost the engine in it (the crank busted). It just goes to show that either quad is better then the other one. Somone in this forum said that they knew they made the right choice with honda. but then he said he never rode a yammy. what makes you sooo sure it was the right choice? like im sure you can love one quad over another but what truly makes it soo much better that if a picked the other one you would get rid of it because it was crap. If there was a yfz site (which there might be) they would probably mostly be picking the yfz's over hondas 450R.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
IF you are every going to work on it.... GET THE HONDA..... the Yammi SUCKS to work on........

The yammi is a great quad to ride but they did not design it to get worked on.... AT ALL..... :wacko:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQuad@Sep 15 2004, 03:50 PM
IF you are every going to work on it.... GET THE HONDA..... the Yammi SUCKS to work on........

The yammi is a great quad to ride but they did not design it to get worked on.... AT ALL..... :wacko:
Very true. There is a nice accessible quality about everything on the TRX that makes it very easy to clean, service and even modify. I like the tidy, uncluttered routing of all the wiring and plumbing. The machine is very well laid out. The Yammy really is a bit of a jungle underneath that slick looking plastic!

Anyone notice that the front calipers on the TRX are pivot style? Talk about easy brake service!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
me and my brother have ridden the yfz and we both didnt like it. my brother has a 250r and i have the 450r and honestly the yfzs rnt gonna last to long. i have heard of lots of problems like people loosing gears and there motors seizing, my brothers 250r is just going throught that stuff now and its been 17 years. if you race mx get it. its low stance is awsome and handles well. the power feels like a 2 stroke with no botom end but a hard hit in the mid range. my brother said it had bad throttle response but i didnt notice. the honda has a nice smooth power band so u never know how fast you are going. it is really stable( maybe not as stable as the yfz) but if it was my 400ex and the way i slide that thing out i would have flipped tons of times. i rode a yfz with ehs lid, gytr exhaust, k and n, higher compression piston and some other stuff(i think cams too). i raced him and i am stock. granted the 70 pounds lighter i am than him i kept right up one time but i got a little head start. the second time he beat me but not by much at all. he had razr 2 tires i had worn down stockers.
if you r in long races take the 450r cus its so much mor comfy and u get tired after a long ride on the yfz. get the 450r u will love the thing to death

·
Registered
94 Posts
To listen to some of you guys talk my YFZ should have been dead over a year ago. Guess what. Still runs awesome!!!
It has bean ridden very hard as well. Pretty much all I do is drag. I would bet that over 70% of the hrs on my YFZ have been at full throttle. No battery prob, no cracked swingarm, no cracked or bent frames, motor has not seized, Gears have not gone bad, and whatever else you guys were going on about. And its not just me, most of the guys I know have had no probs either. Sure your going to here about problems. But you hear about them from both camps. And yes it makes a difference that there are so many YFZ's out there. And it does make a difference that they have been out alot longer. I would not hesitate for one second to buy another one. If I was listening correctly, that should be any day now since my old one should self distruct at any moment now! :lol: P.S. this reply is not ment for the guys who were unbiased in there posts.
(a good example of an unbiased post is Mitco 39's)

·
Registered
215 Posts
im with performance on this one, and i have seen him drag quite a few times on video (he does do alot of dragging). My opinion is that you cant go wrong with either bike. I have ridden both and they are very close when it comes to performance. Honda has its goods and bads, Yamaha has its goods and bads. I, myself cant decide which one to buy, after i get rid of the current problem (03' predator) So it basically comes down to what color you lioke better red or blue?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Performance@Sep 16 2004, 09:17 PM
To listen to some of you guys talk my YFZ should have been dead over a year ago. Guess what. Still runs awesome!!!
  It has bean ridden very hard as well. Pretty much all I do is drag. I would bet that over 70% of the hrs on my YFZ have been at full throttle. No battery prob, no cracked swingarm, no cracked or bent frames, motor has not seized, Gears have not gone bad, and whatever else you guys were going on about. And its not just me, most of the guys I know have had no probs either. Sure your going to here about problems. But you hear about them from both camps. And yes it makes a difference that there are so many YFZ's out there. And it does make a difference that they have been out alot longer. I would not hesitate for one second to buy another one. If I was listening correctly, that should be any day now since my old one should self distruct at any moment now! :lol:  P.S. this reply is not ment for the guys who were unbiased in there posts.
  (a good example of an unbiased post is Mitco 39's)
That's great dude. I'm glad you have no problems!!! All quads should run that way. Myself, I like the YFZ.. But, I wouldn't trade my 450R for anthing. More power to ya dude!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.