Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so for those people who are rinning k&n air filters in the 450r. If your's is loke mine and fits inside the breather which runs into the carb. Check it I was draging my buddy on his yfz450 today and he blew me away both times?

Why well my quad was bogging, I was playing with the air screw today thought it was that. But when I was done I felt like cleaning the filter as well so I took it off and the Inside was full of water. Droplets mostly, but brown water to say the least

That part of the air filter which fits inside the breather tube has gone oval. First the oil filters now the air filter

The cure has been found already, that metal screen which is inside you oem filter, remove the mesh from the rind which connects onto that breather tube. Clean-up the end so as not to have any metal burrs ect.... Now wash the k&n air filter in very hot water, mine went back into shape after this. Dry while still warm, apply a bead of silicon around the k&n then press over the metal ring from the screen. This is were my filter is at the moment!

This is just a warning for those running k&n's.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When my dealer orderes it from k&n they said there was no adaptor. It wasn't needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it has to be prodesign pro flow kit which comes with that insert

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
thats what i would have thought, but he said it was oval. you can buy a filter from k&n with out the adapter, i think its a little different then the pro design more like a stock filter.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should clarify the filter started round, it was round when I first bought the thing. After/ I took it out to clean it the thing was oval in shape. It also had slop in the housing/breather tube. So somewhere it has lost its shape. It was small enough to fit inside the metal ring from the screen insert.

I think it will be fine now it shouldn't be able to flex anymore.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sparks racing foam filter kit from woodwrd specialties. Comes with filter and billit ring, $45.00 you can't go wrong. I hate K&N filters. Foam all the way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've put a 400ex airbox matted to a 39mm FCR It works great, K&N filters all the way around. Haven't had a problem, but that may be because i clean them after every race.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by nacsmx450r@Oct 5 2004, 12:29 PM
I've put a 400ex airbox matted to a 39mm FCR It works great, K&N filters all the way around. Haven't had a problem, but that may be because i clean them after every race.
The foam is really good for dust and debri....Like in trail riding

For track though, there's no problem using the K&N or what I perfer the UNI...I even use the UNI in the woods. You just have to have some really good sticky oil to protect the filter. Like Belray,,,great oil...Nothing will get by that oil!! :D

But have something good to take it off your hands because it really is hard to get off!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
After opening up my 400EX one day and taking my finger rubbing it along the intake tube (inside where the airfilter hooks up to) and noticing a thin film of dirt and sand, I said I'd never use a K&N again. I race XC though, I think MX is fine with it.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by sethg@Oct 8 2004, 09:28 AM
After opening up my 400EX one day and taking my finger rubbing it along the intake tube (inside where the airfilter hooks up to) and noticing a thin film of dirt and sand, I said I'd never use a K&N again.  I race XC though, I think MX is fine with it.
That is where some good sticky oil is required. Belray,,,,, is a good one. You need to soak that filter so no debri can get inside!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I HAVE K&N AND IT HAS AN ADAPTER AND NO PROBLEMS AT ALL AFTER TWO TRIPS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts