Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i have been interested in the HRC kit and its durability, and a new thread came up in the dyno room by a member and about the hrc kit sub harness and if the extra 1k rpm is worth the extra wear and tear on the valvetrain.
anyways, the way it exactly works is, the subharness raises the RPM limiter another 1k, but also from the hrc kit manual it states,

""this modification provides a different ignition advance curve designed to complement the other components of the kit"

what exactly does this mean, sounds like you need to run higher octane gas, but the hrc kit manual still says 91 or higher. is this the case because of the more AIR and fuel that is being delivered in the cylinder?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
it does raise the rpms to 1k extra. the extra wear happens when you ride your engine at that extra 1k for long periods of time.

you dont have to run that harness. u can simply do the green wire mod wich is the same thing and its free.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what I can tell ya is this...

if you want more POWER.....

you must be willing to sacrifice at least SOME reliability......

the HRC subharness will cause more wear&tear... no doubt.... but so will the addition of the camshaft, replacement of the baffle and removal of the lid, etc.....

its all give and take..... but I would not hesitate in the least to run with the Sub Harness...... it does increase your rev limiter to 10,850rpm.... and it does alter the ignition timing curve to compliment the new performance products......

I say USE IT....but thats just me....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wear i was thinking of is really, what the HRC kit calls for at 15 hours so for a piston change and such or 6 races. that is crazy, im guessing that is only for people who race and ride there quads really! hard.
the way i see it, it wont cause much wear and tear over the stock bike, unless you ride it harder. if you keep it maintained well it will last.

but i still dont understand why the sub harness changes the ignition advance curve? anyone? honda says its to complement the others parts in the kit. when i googled ignition advance curve, all i got was maybe that because the HRC kit puts alot more air and fuel and it goes out quicker, to run the right way, the ingnition advance cruve must change, but im not sure what it does.

i do want more power, and i think the safest and the most reliable way is the HRC kit. but maybe i am making a mistake since i really dont want my bike to start eating up valves fast and the piston wearing out and eating oil. so far my 06 has been a dream with almost no issues engine wise!! just keep it maintained. still got all the stock parts from the factory on her.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
..Wow..id hate to be replacing crap that otherwise wouldnt need to be replaced just becuz of that extra 1000 rpms..or is the extra wear and tear so minor it shouldnt cause any problems for years..becuz i wanted to get a new cam and..would not going for the extra 1000 rpms reduce my power from the cam significantly?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a topic in the dyno room about it, in the engine section sub forum.

anyone know the answer to my question please?

"but i still dont understand why the sub harness changes the ignition advance curve? anyone? honda says its to complement the others parts in the kit. when i googled ignition advance curve, all i got was maybe that because the HRC kit puts alot more air and fuel and it goes out quicker, to run the right way, the ingnition advance cruve must change, but im not sure what it does.
"

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
i really would not worry about the hrc kit harming your bike.. if you dont want the extra thousand rpm then just simply dont put the harness on.. its changing stock parts so it is changing reliaablity but, i honestly dont think that it will mess your engine up any faster than if it was completly stock

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
the hrc kit is the best and cheapest thing you can do to make it fast and reliable.........imo......... bryan

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
there is a topic in the dyno room about it, in the engine section sub forum.

anyone know the answer to my question please?

"but i still dont understand why the sub harness changes the ignition advance curve? anyone? honda says its to complement the others parts in the kit. when i googled ignition advance curve, all i got was maybe that because the HRC kit puts alot more air and fuel and it goes out quicker, to run the right way, the ingnition advance cruve must change, but im not sure what it does.
"[/b]

There is too much emphasis being put on the extra 1000rpms...it is not going to destroy your engine by any means.The entire HRC kit is designed by Honda for the 450R and is meant to make your stocker more powerful for competition use.
You are reading too much into the comments made about the wear and necessity of using the sub harness/green wire mod.
Basically...you can use it without worrying about destroying your engine....but if your riding type does not demand or need it...then why bother. :dunno:

As for the question you really want answered...how does it affect your timing curve?I honestly don't have a definitive answer for that...maybe someone with some genuine knowledge of the stock CDI and enhanced ignition timing/curves will fill in the blanks. :yes

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
remember......

the HRC kit is only to bring the engine back up to what it should of been ORIGINALLY from Honda...... they simply had to DE-tune the machine to make it a GREEN sticker bike......period...

if you were to buy a CRF450R/X.....your bike would have come stock....with almost everything from the HRC kit..... and you would have never thought twice about it.....

and....the HRC kit is still covered under your Honda warranty......so apparently Honda was not worried about any issues..... and if I had to change my piston every 15hours.....I would have to take spare pistons with me to the beach.....and that just aint gonna happen.......at least for this machine....

jmho

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a brand new 07. Had them install the HRC at the first 15 hour service. I ride mostly sand and have never raced it but I simply change oil and filter after EVERY ride and have not had a problem yet. No need to worry about the piston changes if you ain't racing it or riding it excessively hard for a long period of time(Baja style).

IMO the HRC is a cheap and great mod for any 450....just my .02

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I simply change oil and filter after EVERY ride[/b]

thats a whole LOTTA oil changes........ why so many?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts