Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well, i remember when the 450r 06+ hrc kits came out, the 20 hour race piston change was a big DEAL!!!!
but how many of you guys have ever changed your pistons out because of the HRC kit. how does this kit effect reliablity?
how many hours do you guys have on your quads without any problems?

i was thinking to keep my quad stock for as long as possible, so it can run great for a long period of time, of course with tip top maintenance, but i want to open the quad up to its natural un emission plugged up potential, as to what the HRC kit does, but i didnt want to lose reliablity just because of it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
mine has over 100 hrs, 44 since added vapor..... only had to have head redone, had a valve sink. those tit valves, best advice keep your air filter clean and oiled. don't want any dirt on the valves it will wear the coating off the intake valves. you will know when to repair. because you want be able to adjust your valves anymore because of shim sizes stop at 1.20mm.....

ringed it only once......bought it an dec of 05......what a great day......so i would say great.

it still has the same old stock piston in it...... it might have a brand new venom piston for christmas if it's good!! vrooooommm!!!!.........

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
bought my R in June 06. Installed the HRC kit March 07 and Have never had any kind of problem yet.

I must have somewhere around 120-150 hours.

I'm actually going to help my bud install an HRC kit in his 06 when I get back home in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I bought my 06 in Feb. 06 put in the HRC kit in Apr. 06 and the only problem I have had at all with the bike was a clutch and I am sure that didn't have anything to do with the HRC kit. I have somewhere around 125 - 150 hrs on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what i can gather the 20 hr thing is just an each way bet honda dealers use or it may even come from Honda
I had a piston crack 15hrs on a 2007, but we determined it was a fuel detonation issue that can happen any time
I had an 06 that went forever
I would be more concern with crank rod brg issue or crank brg and retainer issue
In saying that i had 06 that went forever without issue and 07 that had a problem at 20+ hrs

You just have to keep up regualar oil changes and keep inspecting any metal in oil and hope the best that you dont have a friday afternoon assembled engine

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses guys, keep em coming.

from what i gatehered, i cant see how these mods can effect piston life or the reliabilty of the engine in a huge way.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
The more HP you build in an engine will put more wear and tear on the parts.... theres no way around it.

But I don't think you should be too concerned about the extra power/wear the HRC kit will give you.

The kit is well worth the money and will still be very reliable. IMO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more HP you build in an engine will put more wear and tear on the parts.... theres no way around it.

But I don't think you should be too concerned about the extra power/wear the HRC kit will give you.

The kit is well worth the money and will still be very reliable. IMO[/b]

how is your quad holding up, many hours?

·
Registered
70 Posts
alright well, i remember when the 450r 06+ hrc kits came out, the 20 hour race piston change was a big DEAL!!!!
but how many of you guys have ever changed your pistons out because of the HRC kit. how does this kit effect reliablity?
how many hours do you guys have on your quads without any problems?

i was thinking to keep my quad stock for as long as possible, so it can run great for a long period of time, of course with tip top maintenance, but i want to open the quad up to its natural un emission plugged up potential, as to what the HRC kit does, but i didnt want to lose reliablity just because of it.[/b]
06 450er bought Jan 06, HRC kit added around May 06. NO problems mechanically w/ 100-120 hours of hard riding.
(I did crack the frame though, tore off 2 mounts on a RPM sprocket hub & trashed numerous ITP beadlocks & tires!!)
Dont hesitate to install a HRC kit, your quad will love you for it!

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

The kit is well worth the money and will still be very reliable. IMO[/b]

how is your quad holding up, many hours?
[/b]

read my first post! :slap:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
i think the HRC kit is well made... it comes with all the necessary items to make everything work in harmony and in sync. plus its a genuine honda product that maintains warranty, which means it proven.

as for more wear,tear and the 20 hour piston service, this only applies to as honda mentions in the HRC manual

"the race maintenance schedule is based upon average racing conditions.mahcine subjected to servere use require more frequent servicing."

again for trail riders and regular joes, a piston change is gonna just as long as a stock change.
i cant really see no reason, because of a exhaust,cam, intake setup to change your piston out in 20 hours compared to the hundreds put on stock quads.

what my friend have done to even further there maintenance, they removed the panels and snorkel from there stock air box lid and placed a stocking over it and re-installed it. they also never installed the HRC kit wire loom that increases the rev limiter, to put less strain on the drivetrain, since the quad stops making power at that RPM or way before it anyways

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the reponses, but why the need for a 20 hour piston change? i mean im not a racer but i would think the honda kit from the factory would be just as good as the stock parts, i want the extra power, but not if its gonna come with a ridiculous piston change and such. i had some heavily modded 2 strokes and 400ex's and they last a very long time.
this really worries me, my quad has been perfect and runs awesome for some 100 hours if not 200 hours. i dont want to install this kit and then after 50 hours thing starts eating oil and valves start eating themsevles.

just to add, i check my valves numerous times throughout the year, i keep my stock OEM honda filter very well cleaned and oiled. i maintain my quad to the T, im very anal with it.
i run HP4S 100% synthetic oil in my engine side and change it frequently along with the oil filter and i run HP tranny oil (red bottle) in my tranny side and i change that along with the engine oil each time.

like i said, my quad runs perfect, no complaints, starts and run smooth,(well as smooth as these engines can run :) )

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
the hrc kit will not mess your bike up.. screw that 20 hour piston change, that is just the factory warning thing..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, i was just scared of the 20 hour piston change and such... i dont want my valves to go bad or have to change my piston earlier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
'07 ER with over 100 hrs easy. Added the HRC kit shortly after break in. Haven't had a single issue yet. I had the clutch go out on me but that's just a wear item that gets replaced anyway.

I think the 20 hr thing is just a liability warning so if they DO have a piston go bad they can say "I told ya so"!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks alot for the replys, keep them coming guys, im sure this is gonna help alot of members out, my friend were wondering the same ??.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts