Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have a 2014 TRX450R and it's time to start uncorking it. I know I can get a full exhaust, re-jet and open up the airbox or I can buy an HRC kit and get a good boost in power. I am debating between each route but my confusion comes from when I look at the HRC kit. It seem's most people were buying the kit for around $300 dollars, but the cheapest I can find the kit is $450? Is there a cheaper place to buy the HRC kit? Also, there are multiple part numbers listed for the HRC kit. Does anyone know the difference, for instance Honda has two part numbers listed for the 2014 HRC kit:

06100-NLZ-660

0611-NLZ-A01

Why two different part numbers? Also, I know they changed the auto decompressor on the 08+ but to the best of my knowledge there have been no engine changes since then correct? So, a kit for an 08 would work fine in my 2014 correct? Thank you all in advance for your help.

·
Truck Yea
5,764 Posts
08 and up hasn't changed. Hrc kit is worthless. Buy a real exhaust, clip the green wire, buy a stage 2 hot cam, jets and the needle and it's better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was confused also when I was looking in the market for one. One is just the camshaft and the other is the camshaft, headpipe, and all the other stuff that comes with the HRC kit.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am with everyone else. I would recommend piecing together your own kit and then re jet. Good quality exhaust, hot cam, green wire mod, modify the stock T breather, air filter and a few jets. I know on a brand new machine not everyone wants to cut into the wiring harness for the green wire mod. I have the HRC sub harness so nothing has to be cut.
Let me know if your interested $10 Shipped

·
Registered
759 Posts
X3..Snag a used stage 2 hotcam or HRC cam, buy a nice exhaust, pull the air box lid, re jet and call it a day

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am with everyone else. I would recommend piecing together your own kit and then re jet. Good quality exhaust, hot cam, green wire mod, modify the stock T breather, air filter and a few jets. I know on a brand new machine not everyone wants to cut into the wiring harness for the green wire mod. I have the HRC sub harness so nothing has to be cut.
Let me know if your interested $10 Shipped
By any chance do you still have this HRC sub wiring harness for sale? If not, any idea where I can purchase one? I purchased a 2008 HRC power up kit for my 2014 TRX 450er and the sub harness was not included. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
By any chance do you still have this HRC sub wiring harness for sale? If not, any idea where I can purchase one? I purchased a 2008 HRC power up kit for my 2014 TRX 450er and the sub harness was not included. Thanks
Same boat as you bro looking for this sub harness 😭

·
Truck Yea
5,764 Posts
just cut the green wire

·
Registered
9 Posts
That’s what I’m saying, but my dealer is not willing to cut the green wire because they’re unsure what the replacement sub-harness does in relation to the green wire mod. They’re literally passing up the opportunity to make $$$ installing the kit out of concern that the green wire mod will cause damage to the engine and/or bike’s computer. I suggested I do the green wire mod and if it doesn’t work I’ll replace it with an OEM wiring sub-harness, but they’re unwilling to go that route either. Accordingly, what aftermarket kit can I purchase for my 2014 special edition that will be as reliable as the HRC Competition Kit and increase it’s horsepower enough to make it worth my while. I want the best and willing to pay for it.

·
Truck Yea
5,764 Posts
That’s what I’m saying, but my dealer is not willing to cut the green wire because they’re unsure what the replacement sub-harness does in relation to the green wire mod. They’re literally passing up the opportunity to make $$$ installing the kit out of concern that the green wire mod will cause damage to the engine and/or bike’s computer. I suggested I do the green wire mod and if it doesn’t work I’ll replace it with an OEM wiring sub-harness, but they’re unwilling to go that route either. Accordingly, what aftermarket kit can I purchase for my 2014 special edition that will be as reliable as the HRC Competition Kit and increase it’s horsepower enough to make it worth my while. I want the best and willing to pay for it.
the kits worthless by todays standards.

ive cut the wire on mult 450s no issue. if your unhappy just splice it back together. thats all the harness does.

as far as the kit, besides the needle its pointless. toss the airbox lid, buy a stage 2 hot cam and cut the harness and your done. everything can be done way cheaper than the kit

·
Registered
38 Posts
the kits worthless by todays standards.

ive cut the wire on mult 450s no issue. if your unhappy just splice it back together. thats all the harness does.

as far as the kit, besides the needle its pointless. toss the airbox lid, buy a stage 2 hot cam and cut the harness and your done. everything can be done way cheaper than the kit
Sorta off topic but what other mods do you recommend to compliment the cam and wire mod in your experience?

·
Truck Yea
5,764 Posts
Sorta off topic but what other mods do you recommend to compliment the cam and wire mod in your experience?
Well so far the winning combo i have found:
1. boyesen quick shot 3 or R&D float bowl (achieve same result). it makes the bike start a bit harder hot, but the plus is you can tune your leak jet right in and the throttle response is better
2. dump the airbox lid or get an outwerwears lid from EHS. no not the piece of junk elastic cover, you want the one you cut your lid up and put on. keeps the dirt out while allowing it to breath very well
3. port and polish, its well worth it to port and polish the head to achieve max flow
4. but with all that power you need suspension, without it the power isnt usable really. I go with suspension, steering stabilizer and always flex bars
5. gotta swap the tires to maxxis razr (or comparable copy cats-there all the same just with a different name on them) or ITP holeshot GNCC. I ride mostly loose terrain and sand, but have ridden the hatfield trails in WV, PA, sand in MI, sand in Glamis (use rear paddles for that) and many more. The GNCC rear works best but is a bit small, the razr was good but i feel is to heavy for the rears.
6. gearing.. if your not geared right your sunk
7. before i forget a real exhaust. hmf is good, monster is good-but I like dasa the best

Ive had mult different builds and honestly i can say im disappointed riding a mostly stock 450r by now. i liked the 490 athena kit i had but the longevity is not good. i dumped 2 valves and that was it. while it last it was awesome. i also hated the athena head gasket-it was junk. the longevity b/c of what your upsizing too is an issue overall. I now rock a 470 kit and honestly maybe its slightly less powerful but longevity is way better. I also have a bored out carb which is gave me more power.

maybe thats a bit more than you wanted to know lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts