Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 450R. (Comming froma LRD built 400ex) I am having the dealer install the HRC kit before I even pick the bike up and I am wondering how much bottom end I will loose. I have have found both no bottom end loss and lots of bottom end loss in these forums which is it. I mostley am a woods rider with a trip to the sand a couple times a year. (Wanoka) If I run a 13t sprocket will this help in the woods or is it even nessary with the kit

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
with the HRC cam you will loose about 2 to 4 HP below 6000 RPMs....but after 6000 RPM's you will gain from 4 to 6 HP.....So yes there is a loss of low end, but if you choose the right exhaust setup you can keep the bottom pretty strong. I choose to use the DR. D slip on with stock head pipe....that helps with the bottom end while still providing a very strong mid and top end....

The 13 tooth sprocket is good if your bike is stock cause it wants to stall at slow speeds. But with the HRC kit, or after opening the motor up a little the 14 tooth sprocket works great. My guess is thats why Honda put the 14 on there to begin with, they know what they are doing. ...I put the 13 tooth on mine at first, but after jetting and riding I put the 14 tooth back on and I like it alot better...the gears are more usable with the 14, you dont have to shift near as much.....I ride woods and Little Sahara myself.....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have another question once the HRC kit is instaslled and I go to a differen tpipe will I have to re jet or will it be ok with the HRC jetting

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Clove450R@Sep 23 2004, 11:05 AM
I also have another question once the HRC kit is instaslled and I go to a differen tpipe will I have to re jet or will it be ok with the HRC jetting
the HRC jetting will be fine...but there may be room for improvment....your jetting can be off on this bike and it will still run fine...in order for you to notice a problem with jetting, your jetting would have to be way off, not just a little....but to answer your question, the HRC jetting will work great with a new exhaust....

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I've rode a stock 450R (mine)and a HRC kit 450R (friends)and to tell you the truth. I didn't notice hardly any difference in the bottom end. It seem to me that the HRC cam change the ratio and the 14t was allot better in the low end department compared to the stock 450R with the 14t. Just my 2 cents!!
Rico :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
you lose all bottom in, go with the crf cam..

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have HRC and Sparks full pipe. I've only rode mine and a bone stock one. Mine has more power down low and once into the mid on up there's no comparison. There isn't anywhere that mine doesn't feel like it has more power.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Sep 27 2004, 06:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-1fast450r
@Sep 27 2004, 03:57 PM
The CRF is VERY similar to the HRC cam ... look for cam specs in the FAQ section B) [/b]
Actually, the CRF is closer to the Stage 2 Hotcam or the sparks cam which is more mid and the HRC cam is more of a top end cam!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R+Sep 28 2004, 09:27 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 06:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-1fast450r

The CRF is VERY similar to the HRC cam ... look for cam specs in the FAQ section B)
Actually, the CRF is closer to the Stage 2 Hotcam or the sparks cam which is more mid and the HRC cam is more of a top end cam!!
[/b]
thats what I thought..

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R+Sep 28 2004, 10:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-1fast450r

The CRF is VERY similar to the HRC cam ... look for cam specs in the FAQ section B)
[/b]
My bad on that one! I remember a while ago Dez was talking about the CRF cam being very similar to another cam. It was the Sparks now that I think about it more (and now that you point it out) ... I definately gotta check up my facts on things that I learned about a couple months ago

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Sep 28 2004, 02:00 PM-->
Originally posted by Rico'[email protected] 28 2004, 10:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-1fast450r

My bad on that one! I remember a while ago Dez was talking about the CRF cam being very similar to another cam. It was the Sparks now that I think about it more (and now that you point it out) ... I definately gotta check up my facts on things that I learned about a couple months ago
[/b]
I know what you mean Zack!!!!!!! I thought I was right, but to make sure, I went back to the FAQ cam section just to make sure, before I said anything. I feel everyone can learn and everyone can make mistakes.... I do it all the time...

Learning from your mistakes is the key!! You just got it backwards, that's all. No harm no foul!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts