Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am gettin ready to install my HRC cam. The only thing that bothers me is to remove the bolt holding the auto decompressor you have to hold the crank or lock it up. How is the best and safest way to do that? Schmitthead has done this install before so maybe I could get some info from him. Anyone that knows, give me some info. Thanx guys! This bike is gettin quicker w/ everyhting I add!! I have raced 1 YFZ450, One Cannondale, and quite a few built suz's and other bikes. I have beat all of them except the yammy. We raced the yammy like 6 times and I won 2 he won 4. But, whoever came out of the hole spinning and not hooking won. The last time we raced, he pulled me off the line but by about 250 ft. I had caught back up w/ him. I def have more power, but wheeling (sp) keeps me from max power off the line. Ok, well if anyone has any info lmk.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i had my brother hold the crank in place with a socket wrench while i loosened and tightened the decompressor bolt. that is the only bolt that i could not get my torque wrench on. if you have the service manual, you are home free. it's very easy to follow. to hold the crank in place, just use the socket head bolt that you turn to find TDC. it is inside the access hole on the tranny side of the motor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i got the service manual. I hadn't had the inspection plug off on the tranny side so I wasn't sure what was behind it, Thanx, I now know

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've done a few cam swaps on the 450 and the best way to remove the decompressor bolt is to remove the cam assy and use a soft jaw vice or a regular vice with a rag on the cam where the cam sprocket bolts up to.
The bolt is a bear removing it for the first time and it is not advised to try and remove it with the cam assembly is still in the motor. and I don't use the red loctite either, blue works well and will be a little easier the next time you remove it.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanx for all the info guys. I went out to the shop last night and started to tackle the job. I already had all the plastics and tank off. The removal of the old cam and the install of the new one was a breeze. Once you figure out all the tricks, it goes real easy. I used a precision flat tip screwdriver to screw the chain tensioner out then clamped a pair of vise grips onto it to hold it. I used 2 zip ties on the cam chain and sprocket. One to hold the chain and sprocket together, and one to hold them to the frame to keep tension on them. I held the crank in place w/ a allen wrench and a piece of pipe on it and broke the decompressor bolt loose, then the same on the cam sprocket. My cam clearances were dead on and didn't vary any from the stock to the HRC cam. If anyone needs any info on the cam swap PM me or post on here. Its really not bad at all and can be made simpler w/ a lil tip here and there. Again thanx for all the info so far guys. The is really a class "A" site! B)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by mingle5914@Sep 24 2004, 06:44 AM
Hey, thanx for all the info guys. I went out to the shop last night and started to tackle the job. I already had all the plastics and tank off. The removal of the old cam and the install of the new one was a breeze. Once you figure out all the tricks, it goes real easy. I used a precision flat tip screwdriver to screw the chain tensioner out then clamped a pair of vise grips onto it to hold it. I used 2 zip ties on the cam chain and sprocket. One to hold the chain and sprocket together, and one to hold them to the frame to keep tension on them. I held the crank in place w/ a allen wrench and a piece of pipe on it and broke the decompressor bolt loose, then the same on the cam sprocket. My cam clearances were dead on and didn't vary any from the stock to the HRC cam. If anyone needs any info on the cam swap PM me or post on here. Its really not bad at all and can be made simpler w/ a lil tip here and there. Again thanx for all the info so far guys. The is really a class "A" site! B)
glad to hear it went so smooth. now break it in and kick some @$$!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by mingle5914@Sep 24 2004, 07:44 AM
I might just take you up on that offer some day ... :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well I got out and rode it a lil a few minutes ago and.... I have lost all my midrange hit. When I shove the throttle down it slowly accelerates up to the upper rpm's then it hits hard. Does this kit hurt the low and midrange that bad? I went through my jetting and can't see any probs there. If anyone knows of why this is doing this please lmk.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone? I went out and removed the hrc ex. tip and removed the spark arrestor screen inside the air filter. It runs better and doesn't have as much mid lag now but you can still notice it. If you run throught the throttle smoothly it feels fine but if you stab it too the max it just sets there until it reachs the upper rpm range then starts pulling hard. Anyone know what is going on?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I have heard it might do that, and im guessin a slip on or complete pipe is wat ull need, Dex said the Dr D slip on and hrc are the best combo, talk to him.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by mingle5914@Sep 24 2004, 03:06 PM
Ok, well I got out and rode it a lil a few minutes ago and.... I have lost all my midrange hit. When I shove the throttle down it slowly accelerates up to the upper rpm's then it hits hard. Does this kit hurt the low and midrange that bad? I went through my jetting and can't see any probs there. If anyone knows of why this is doing this please lmk.
that's what that much more cam timing does (230~260=30deg+) every time unless you add more compression......... go at least 13:1 and you will be very happy

no matter what anyone says this is always a predictable and reliable outcome of more cam without more compression.
.........mixxer

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A friend of mine has got a hrc kit on his as well as a hmf sport pipe kit. His feels great and has no lag whatsoever. It pulls like its pissed off from idle to rev limiter. It is super smooth w/ no lag or hesitation. Will the pipe help it out that much? If I go to the 12 to 1 or 13 to 1 piston will I have to rejet? I am buying a BB pipe this week to see if it will help any and if it does I may purchase the 12 to 1 or 13 to 1 piston also. Thanx for the info. On the 13 to 1 will I have to run straight 110 racing fuel or can it be mixxed w/ 93?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You are also running a 13T? All I can tell you is I'm running the HRC kit with a 13T and it runs like a raped ape. I gained midrange if anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts