Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what i did for the key.

Follow the front brake line from the handlebar down to where there is a mount to hold the line. Unbolt that line.

I got a small pipe holder...sort of like a clamp, that fits the diameter of the keyswitch.

I took a small flat piece of aluminum. I drilled one hole to mount where the brakeline mount is and used the original bolt. I drilled another hole to mount my pipe clamp to. I don't have a pic, but if you look at your quad, you'll see what I'm talking about.

You can still get to the key easily and it is nicely tucked away. Looks factory. The light, I just ziptied to the handlebars so i could see it.

You can probably get the fitting at Lowes or Home Depot, but if not, you can order here:

www.mcmaster.com
Search for Straps and Hangers

It's simple, looks decent, and still gives you the security of the keyswitch.

If you have any questions...sorry but i'm leaving for vacation! Hopefully someone will do this and post a pic for ya.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Good info man, that should help people out for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it possible to just splice the wires from the key together and get rid of it completely? I'm not very educated on the 450R, but this seems like it would work...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes it is, as a matter of fact if you want to get really trick take the wires and mount them to a pro design kill switch, and get rid of you're light controll assembly completely and install a works connection with hot start. this is what myself tim farr, and joe byrd all have done is it works great.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ90@Jul 18 2004, 06:43 PM
Is it possible to just splice the wires from the key together and get rid of it completely?  I'm not very educated on the 450R, but this seems like it would work...
you need to splice the (red) and (black) wires together permanently for your fan, lights, etc. to work. you can just seperate the (blk/whi) and (green) wires or use them for a tether kill switch if you wish. when the blk/whi and green wires are connected, that kills your motor.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ90@Jul 18 2004, 06:43 PM
Is it possible to just splice the wires from the key together and get rid of it completely?  I'm not very educated on the 450R, but this seems like it would work...
you need to splice the (red) and (black) wires together permanently for your fan, lights, etc. to work. you can just seperate the (blk/whi) and (green) wires or use them for a tether kill switch if you wish. when the blk/whi and green wires are connected, that kills your motor. ;)
[/b]
tried this...still starts and runs with or without the key in the tether switch... any other way to remove the key switch and have the tether kill battery power when not needed? thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
i think the pro design switch i have is defective...anyone have instructions for them? doesn't matter if key in or out still runs..tried toggle switch instead and killed motor each and everytime

1 - 7 of 7 Posts