Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah for sure! It seems like a lot of guys start to get good at something and have a pretty good knowledge about it, but then they hit 30 and you can’t get them off the couch lol.

My ride depends on what I’ve got going on that day, I’m usually towing a trailer or hauling tools, so I’ve got a Duramax for that, just picked up the new ‘20. But my true love is my Cadillac ATS lol. It’s the Performance package, but most importantly it’s got a 6-speed and rear wheel drive. They are so hard to find. With that tranny you can only get the 2.0 Turbo motor, but it’s 272 hp, so it moves nicely. It’s a super fun, small car, built on GMs Alpha platform which is under the Camaro, so it handles really well. Half the time I drive that thing I’m sideways lol. I love that car. The funny thing is, I was actually driving the truck home from work when I was messing with that Eclipse, but that Duramax would pull away from the Eclipse no problem lol. Still wish I would’ve been in the Caddy though.

What about you, what you rolling in?
Very nice - ultimate truck for me is a newer 25/3500 Chevy Duramax. I have no need for a truck like that right now, but I'd still love to have one hah. The Cadillac's are awesome. I like how they are a nice blend of performance and luxury. Last year I was actually thinking about purchasing an 06-07 CTS-V 4-dr sedan but never pulled the trigger. I started looking at the V2 wagon's too - but man those things are spendy.

At any rate - my daily puddle jumper is a gas saver...'13 Hyundai Elantra packing 1.8L of naturally aspirated fury! The weekend/fun vehicle is an '05 Silverado regular cab/short bed 4wd. Mostly stock engine and some minor suspension mods (lowered/coil overs/cal tracks). Planning do do a 4L80 swap + turbo on it eventually. Only crappy pic I have of it on my phone right now attached.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.42.32 AM.png

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
I’m 34 too lol. We haven’t hit 35 yet Gary!

As for rides, I wanted a diesel but man for the real world use and cost it just didn’t add up. But my 3.5L F150 does the job. I swear the grunt below 2500 rpm is crazy.
IMG_1381.jpg

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,154 Posts
Very nice - ultimate truck for me is a newer 25/3500 Chevy Duramax. I have no need for a truck like that right now, but I'd still love to have one hah. The Cadillac's are awesome. I like how they are a nice blend of performance and luxury. Last year I was actually thinking about purchasing an 06-07 CTS-V 4-dr sedan but never pulled the trigger. I started looking at the V2 wagon's too - but man those things are spendy.

At any rate - my daily puddle jumper is a gas saver...'13 Hyundai Elantra packing 1.8L of naturally aspirated fury! The weekend/fun vehicle is an '05 Silverado regular cab/short bed 4wd. Mostly stock engine and some minor suspension mods (lowered/coil overs/cal tracks). Planning do do a 4L80 swap + turbo on it eventually. Only crappy pic I have of it on my phone right now attached.
Thanks! The new Diesel trucks are pretty amazing tow machines, but unless you need a big dumb truck, stick with a fun car or truck like you have. I am very grateful to have my truck, but its not something that is fun or cool to just drive around empty. I ran it over the scales on my way home from the dealership a couple weeks ago, and with me in the seat it weighs 8,500 pounds, and it feels like every pound of it! I don't understand these guys that drive these trucks around thinking that it makes them look cool or macho, when I see a guy driving a truck like that without a scratch in the bed and the paint inside the hitch is still fresh, all I think is he's a tool Lol! Gas trucks are so much more fun, and sound so much better, well maybe not your Ecoboost CJM 😂!

Thats exactly what I like about the Caddy’s, nice interior, I love the exterior looks, and the performance is great. I wanted a Camaro, but the ATS is the same thing wrapped in much nicer clothes lol! Plus the wife loves to drive it, a little too much. . . . The CTS-V is a sweet car, that V8 and a stick is epic! I, personally a bit more partial to a smaller car, so that’s up why I leaned towards the ATS.

that Silverado of yours is pretty sweet! Love the larger tires without the huge wheels, nice to see a different look like that. I’ve never had a regular cab with a short box, it that thing has to be an absolute blast to drive! I know the new trucks are tempting, but I’ve got an ‘01 Tahoe with the 5.3, and I still really Like that thing. The interior is so comfortable, and just a nice place to be, I would take that interior over the interior that was in my 2012 Duramax any day! Not to mention you don’t have to worry about turning traction control and Stabilitrak off every time you get in. This new truck turns Stabilitrak back on after 35 mph and you cannot turn it back off, it’s so dumb, I’m going to have to figure something out for that.

You’ll have to let us know when you start the build/swap on that thing, I’m more partial to an NA motor, but a turbo would be fun too lol! And don’t feel too bad about that Elantra, I’m going to be heading to work in a ‘99 Accord today, but at least it’s got a built motor and it’s a stick!

·
4,154 Posts
I’m 34 too lol. We haven’t hit 35 yet Gary!

As for rides, I wanted a diesel but man for the real world use and cost it just didn’t add up. But my 3.5L F150 does the job. I swear the grunt below 2500 rpm is crazy.
nice looking rig, for a ford. . . . 😝. Like I said in my last post, diesel trucks are WAY overrated for being “cool“, a truck like that f150 is much more practical for your occasional hauling and towing, plus better mileage. My father in law has a 5.0 F150 and he’s been knocking down 23 mpg regularly, I could never dream of that in a Duramax. i hear the power in those Ecopoops is pretty good, but I don’t think I’ve ever driven one. The reliability of the GDI engines still kinda makes me nervous. And as I alluded to, I’m not a big fan of the sound of them, no offense meant, but I just much prefer the sound of a NA V8.

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
I had my GM, i was wholly unimpressed with my 12 GMC 1/2 ton. I suppose I should have expected it coming from driving the 3/4 ton work trucks. Thing just didnt handle anything well including towing. I wasnt sold on the GDI engine, but my buddy has had 3 of them with no issues. I like the V8 better but you coulndt get the crew cab and max tow package with the 5.0. Also the new 5.0 has major issues since approx 18 or so.

Im getting 17.5 mpg combined and only have 2k miles so far. Course this is what happens when you have 3.73 gears and enjoy hitting the skinny pedal lol

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
^ I dont disgaree, its the truck they put it into thats the issue.

·
4,154 Posts
Anything can do a burnout, but once them Cummins stops spinning the tires and try to accelerate they are slow as sin!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dude... THank you! I was actually going to buy a APE Cam Sprocket but the only thing that stopped me was knowing how to actually degree my cam. You answered me question. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dude... THank you! I was actually going to buy a APE Cam Sprocket but the only thing that stopped me was knowing how to actually degree my cam. You answered me question. Thanks!
Glad it helped man!

·
4,154 Posts
So do you have that motor stuffed into a chassis yet? Any time on it? Numbers? Would be interesting to see a thread started for this build.

·
Super Moderator
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So do you have that motor stuffed into a chassis yet? Any time on it? Numbers? Would be interesting to see a thread started for this build.
No not yet, unfortunately - the whole COVID thing has put the brakes on a lot of things. We are putting it in my dad's chassis first to get it dyno'd (using his chassis because my axle has been cut down so far that it'll no longer allow both tires to reach the rollers 😂 ). I still have a few things to finish buttoning up on my chassis as well...suspension struts and some other odds/ends. Once its together - I'll probably do a video on it

21 - 35 of 35 Posts