1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Truck Yea
5,393 Posts
awesome video and info!

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,173 Posts
Great video man! Lots of info out there if guys want to learn how do it, but you taking the time to make a video and have all that info in one place is really great and explanatory! I’ve only watched about a third of it so far, but when I get some time I want to watch more. It’s always fun to see how different guys do things and pick up a trick here and there.

So. . . . . are you going to be doing the billet cases next year??? Lol!

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video man! Lots of info out there if guys want to learn how do it, but you taking the time to make a video and have all that info in one place is really great and explanatory! I’ve only watched about a third of it so far, but when I get some time I want to watch more. It’s always fun to see how different guys do things and pick up a trick here and there.

So. . . . . are you going to be doing the billet cases next year??? Lol!
Thanks man! Haha, nah, probably not doing billet cases...but will hopefully still be making some neat changes :)

·
Truck Yea
5,393 Posts
Thanks man! Haha, nah, probably not doing billet cases...but will hopefully still be making some neat changes :)
Billet cases are nice, Id just rather spend my time polishing them instead. I did it on my latest tear down and it was worth it. hopefully the dirt dont stick as much

Again Gary, excellent and informative post!

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good video, now if you were just selling those degree wheel holders!!!
Lol I could probably make and sell them...but they wouldn't be cost effective for most ppl tho. Takes a big chunk of aluminum bar stock to make them and quite a bit of machining time too :(

·
4,173 Posts
Post a price or shoot me a PM If you have a price. I’d be interested in one as well.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I wish I had the knowledge to do the machining on my own but I am still pretty novice on it. All I have set up right now is a small dunlap to learn on. I bought a bigger clausing but don't have it set up yet. I have a lot of ideas and projects once I figure out how to use one properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Post a price or shoot me a PM If you have a price. I’d be interested in one as well.
I'd prolly do $ shipped/PP'd. The material isn't too expensive, but it does take a bit of machining time on both the lathe and mill.

I wish I had the knowledge to do the machining on my own but I am still pretty novice on it. All I have set up right now is a small dunlap to learn on. I bought a bigger clausing but don't have it set up yet. I have a lot of ideas and projects once I figure out how to use one properly.
Machining is probably one of the most fun new hobbies that I've taken up in the past year or two. Its fascinating turning chunks of material into something useful (as long as you don't screw up lol). That said, it's definitely one of the more expensive hobbies...acquiring tooling hurts the wallet!

I don't understand buy degree offset inserts for these things rather than just a slotted gear
Todd - does someone make degree offset inserts/sprockets? If so, I was unaware!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Yes crane cams make them as well as others for auto applications you simply drill out the bolt hole on your camshaft and select a 2-4-6-8-10 degree insert, no way it can slip.
For the trx they could make a thicker gear and a set of inserts, I always made sure the cam started out at zero with a degree wheel first but from there it was simple to change the cam timing without having to degree each time

·
4,173 Posts
If you’re looking for something to do I would take one of those. Maybe another member or two would want one and you could do a batch of them. Let me know your PayPal addy.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Gary, is that you in the video? Weren't you a 15 year old kid ripping his new black trx down the road with your dad in your first video on here? Hard to believe we have been on this site for 16 years

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you’re looking for something to do I would take one of those. Maybe another member or two would want one and you could do a batch of them. Let me know your PayPal addy.
When I have some spare time here in the next few weeks I'll get ya one made. PM me and let me know which degree wheel you have so I can make the outer end fit correctly to your specific wheel. Also let me know what total length you'd like for the adapter to be.

Gary, is that you in the video? Weren't you a 15 year old kid ripping his new black trx down the road with your dad in your first video on here? Hard to believe we have been on this site for 16 years
Lol yep that is me in the vids. Bought my first TRX in 2006 at 20 years old...and I still have it. I'm getting old now man...34 years old this year...got a mortgage, a wife, 2 kids, and a drag racing addiction 😂😂

·
4,173 Posts
Will do! 👍🏻

And BTW, 34 isn’t old lol! I do more dumb stuff and send it more than teenagers and guys in their 20s That I ride with!

Makes me think of last night, I was playing with a Mitsubishi Eclipse on my way home from work, we were messing Around for probably 15 miles. We ended up pulling into a parking lot and talking for a bit, it made me appreciate that I know what I know, and still love wrenching on stuff. These kids were super nice and were into cars, but they had no clue. I’m so glad I have experience and a bit of wisdom to be able to work on things properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do! 👍🏻

And BTW, 34 isn’t old lol! I do more dumb stuff and send it more than teenagers and guys in their 20s That I ride with!

Makes me think of last night, I was playing with a Mitsubishi Eclipse on my way home from work, we were messing Around for probably 15 miles. We ended up pulling into a parking lot and talking for a bit, it made me appreciate that I know what I know, and still love wrenching on stuff. These kids were super nice and were into cars, but they had no clue. I’m so glad I have experience and a bit of wisdom to be able to work on things properly.
Absolutely! Definitely great to have some knowledge and also the willingness to learn new things. What is your daily ride?

·
4,173 Posts
Yeah for sure! It seems like a lot of guys start to get good at something and have a pretty good knowledge about it, but then they hit 30 and you can’t get them off the couch lol.

My ride depends on what I’ve got going on that day, I’m usually towing a trailer or hauling tools, so I’ve got a Duramax for that, just picked up the new ‘20. But my true love is my Cadillac ATS lol. It’s the Performance package, but most importantly it’s got a 6-speed and rear wheel drive. They are so hard to find. With that tranny you can only get the 2.0 Turbo motor, but it’s 272 hp, so it moves nicely. It’s a super fun, small car, built on GMs Alpha platform which is under the Camaro, so it handles really well. Half the time I drive that thing I’m sideways lol. I love that car. The funny thing is, I was actually driving the truck home from work when I was messing with that Eclipse, but that Duramax would pull away from the Eclipse no problem lol. Still wish I would’ve been in the Caddy though.

What about you, what you rolling in?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts