Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you do it guys. do u unscrew the drain bolt for it then fill it up from the thing under the hood till it gets between the low and full mark?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on someone answer pleeze :mellow:

·
Registered
218 Posts
The thing under the front hood is just your overflow resevoir. It needs to be drained and refilled also, but filling it only will not fill your radiator. You have to undo the bottom hose like jumbo did and then fill the radiator up with either a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/coolant and distilled water, or you can get the premixed stuff now also! The reason I say distilled water is because the impurities in regular tap water or drinking water will cause you radiator to get corrosion in it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anybody using wetter water or whatever it's called or there is another one that people use, freeze something I think. I lot of c-dale owners use these and they are suppose to be alot better then standard coolant...

·
Registered
733 Posts
use the drain bolt on the bottom of your water pump... it's way easier than pulling off a hose and it is the lowest point at which the water flows. give the kick start a couple kicks to get out ALL of your old coolant. fill your new coolant to the top of the radiator then put the cap on and fill you over flow.

·
Registered
327 Posts
engine ice works well in the florida heat. i also ran water wetter in a drz440 i had. both are very good products. if you are in warmer climates B) B)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I just got a manual and saw the DRAIN BOLT at the bottom of the water pump. Guess i'll do that this time instead of making a mess. How often should you change your coolant anyways? once a year right?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pretty much yeah once a year

·
Registered
296 Posts
can u run engine ice in winter? i was thinking of putting it in

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Originally posted by r3drider420@Jul 14 2005, 06:59 PM
can u run engine ice in winter? i was thinking of putting it in
[snapback]108739[/snapback]​

yes, it is rated at below freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You don't want to run the maxima stuff in winter though... it has very low freezing point. Lol, it is funny that you guys were taking off the hose. Most liquid cooled bikes have the drain plug, or I would just take off the pump cover.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I pulled the drain plug on the water pump, sat there with nothing coming out and then :11doh:

Loosen the rad cap...I didn't expect the coolant to fly half way across the garage though!!! :angry: Stuff comes out like a frozen rope!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by clutch@Jul 20 2005, 12:43 PM
I pulled the drain plug on the water pump, sat there with nothing coming out and then   :11doh:

Loosen the rad cap...I didn't expect the coolant to fly half way across the garage though!!!   :angry:   Stuff comes out like a frozen rope!
[snapback]110415[/snapback]​
fo rizzle...it prob. made a bigger mess with me when i took the drain bolt off and then took the cap off then when I just took the hose off....good thing its animal friendly cause it covered my whole basement floor

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The only thing that made a bigger mess was when I changed the tranny and transfer case oil in my Taco. I broke the drain plugs loose and started draining the tranny, little did I know that the transfer case was dripping in my hair!!!

Friggin gear oil STINKS to high hell!!!

By the time I was done I had it splattered over about 7sq ft of the garage floor!

:mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was told by a friend that the wetter water is bad because it dries out the water pump seals. He has had firsthand experience on his CRF Motard. I just dumped it in my bike last week, so I'll be draining that out and putting in Engine Ice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i like engine ice i have been using in in my rappy 720 for a year i have a temp guage and it runs cooler than a buddies lightly modded rappy by10-15 :rock:

·
Registered
149 Posts
How much engine Ice will be needed to refill the cooling system?

I am in Florida and would like to make the change, but don't want to not have enought Engine ice to fill it back up

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts