Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay bassically i need to know how often i should change my 04 TRX 450r engine oil? My brother says I should change it every 10 hours. My riding conditions are basically some wheelies and just nothing to hardcore. no race tracks or sand just grass road and snow int he winters. So how often should i change my engine oil?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
just to giveyou an idea.

i ride sand with airbox removed.

i change oil after everyride. oil is cheap and these bikes dont use much.

if i was to ride trials id probably change it every other ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are no mods and i use the HP4 i think its called from my local honda dealer and i only ride about 30 mins at a time... my brother thinks he should change it every 10 hours of riding...

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
go with what your honda manual calls for.

with a stock quad you should be in the upper 50 hour range before changing the engine and tranny oil. honda calls for a 100 hours or 600miles before changing the engine and tranny oil, but i like to cut that in half to keep everything fresh. dont forget to change your oil filter at this time aswell.

go ahead and switch to either HP4M(w/ moly) or HP4S(100%synthetic) oil for your engine side oil. HP4 is good but both HP4M and HP4S are better for our engine for protection.

and get some HP tranny oil for your tranny side if you dont have already for some great protection.
this figures of course are for stock quads with a good gap of protection. each quad with mods are different.

JMHO.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I change mine every 2 to 3 tanks of gas.

A usual ride can be 20min and the odd ride can be up to 5-6 hours..... so I go by how much gas I use :turned:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanks of gas is a good way to know when to change your oil i think ill go by that but can someone tell me why the owners manual has a maintenance chart that says every 100 hours or 600 miles before changing oil?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
read my last post, honda uses there guidelines for STOCK 450r's, and usually becuase i have nothing to do, i do oil changes on stock 450r's at around 50 hours, but im sure they can go more on good oil no problem.

again this all comes down to mods, the way you ride, and the type of oil you use.

using a good engine oil like HP4S which is all synthetic on a stock quad and just rolling around the yard here and there(no racing) the quad can sure go 100hours without any complaints.

FWIW, honda does alot of R&D esp on there maintenance guidelines, and even honda gives some slack, they probably saw the quad can go 150 hours without a only change, but they give some nice safety slack, they made it 100 hours and put * varying,depending on riding conditions or such as a subnote.

·
Registered
620 Posts
every 4-5 gas tanks is what i do but then i do no hard core riding just trails and road and grass and sumetimes sandpits

1 - 10 of 10 Posts