Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking of ways to remove my 2 bent intake valves... and so far ive been leaning against using a grinder to cut the tops off and pull them out through the bottom... If i was to try and remove the retaining clips i may force the valve into the head and end up causing more damage...

What would you do?

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
i dont think you will cause anymore damage than what may have already been done. just pull the springs, retainers, and locks and cut close to the guide. you are pretty much just going to have to make it happen. i would have the seats and guides checked out. you may need a valve job. at the very least lap the new ones and see what the seats looks like.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Every one I have ever removed is only bent at the bottom. Meaning once you take the retainer off the stem it will just slide out like it normally would. I have removed several, but that is just my experience.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i would but the valves are stuck open... and by the looks of it in order to get enough compression on the spring i would have to force the valve back into the head... something i do not want to do, as it may damage the guides further...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The ones I have done have been stuck open also, just get a place you can sit the head on so that when you push the springs down it doesn't push the valve out. Just somewhere that the valve can sit against and then remove the retainers like you normally would. It has always worked for me :ermm: If you think it is that bad, I would probably try bending the valves back a little to get them back in the head some.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
^ I agree ^...

pound em back as far as they will go..... remove the springs.... push em back out just like normal....

if the guides are damaged.... which they probably are when you bend a valve....they will need replacing either way.....

jmho....

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok... ill give that a shot... Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey dude...i see your having a similar nightmare to me...bloody damn godforsaking bent valves....aaarrrggg :banghead: lol...anyway!i used a spring clamp(handy item if you have one)but if not...apperantly you can just bash the spring with a rubber hammer and the little retainers should pop out leaving your valve to slide out no probs!but if like me if you have a cracked guide... :banghead: well fcuk me those little bastids are stuck in there good...had to give it a good old hammering with a bolt just slightly smaller in diameter than the guide...then took the head to a machine shop to press in the new guide and ream it out to suit the new valve...i learnt a lot by bending a damn valve..lol...anyway hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea... I have seen your posts... Im hoping my guides are good as the valve only bent a very little... I have a spring compressor but it didnt work at all for me last time i removed a valve... I was going to fab up a tool that went around and held the valve as it compressed the spring... weld a deep socket to a big C clamp... and cut to groves out of the socket you can install the retainers...

Goodluck with your issue....

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Rocky Mountain sells a spring compressor for like 40 bucks that has worked good for me. I also think pit posse has one for a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Rocky Mountain sells a spring compressor for like 40 bucks that has worked good for me. I also think pit posse has one for a good price.[/b]
Hey guys-
from what I've been reading lately, a new cam chain tensioner would be a good idea when you put it all back together.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Can't you just cut the springs. You will end up having to replace them in most cases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't you just cut the springs. You will end up having to replace them in most cases.[/b]
[/b]

put the head on a bench pound down with a socket on the retainer with the valve sapporting the weight then the keepers will pop out.. then go get new guides and valves heat the head or you will crack it.... on guide removal and install .. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it today... took me about and hr and a half to pull out and install valves in 2 heads... very simple actually. I took a socket about the same diamerter as the spring... cut to slits in it on each side so i could get at the retainers... Then **** a pair of vice grips (ones that have to long arms on it something like a C-clamp) and put one end on the bottom of the valve and the other on the socket... then compressed the spring and from there it was a breeze...

I changed the valve springs with new ones, checked the valve seals, lightly tapped them with a hammer to make sure the retainers would not easily fall out... Did a leak test on all the valves... all showed no signs of leaking.. The head is good to go...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts