Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i might b getting an r soon and i was wondering what order you guys modded urs in. I dont have enough money to do a full treatment to it at once so i was just wondering some logical steps in modding it. Also, with my Z400 i went with basically all motor mods (not a ton of mods just a few) and i feel that this time i might just wanna uncork the motor (pipe, filter, possibly cam) nd leave it while i do other stuff. Thanks :D

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Well, you simply can not beat the FAQ section on this site !! After spending $6500 on a new machine (give or take some $$) I'm sure you want as much out of it without spending a lot ...

Here is a cheap way to mod it with spending VERY little cash:

UN-CORKING YOUR "R" ON A BUDGET

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
After all that I would suggest a pipe (slip-ons work well if you keep the stock compression) and a cam. You can find specs and +/- of several cams here:

CAMS

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I went in this order
1) nerf bars protect your self
2) front bumper protect the a-arms
3) full skid protection protect the engine and swing arm
4) exhaust system more power

I accually had all that stuff waiting in the garage when I recieved mine. Then I went nuts from there. If I was on a tighter budget that is what I would do.

5) different rear tires better cornering and stability
6) steering stabilizer helps with fatigue, arm pump and keeps the bars from
being ripped out of your hand when you hit something

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by themike537@Sep 20 2004, 09:16 PM
thanks for the quick responses, please keep them coming :)
If you tell us what type of riding you do I can help out with chassis and any non-motor mods a bit ... B)

-Zack-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used to ride all trails, but now some of the land got shut down so i ride 50% fast xc type trails/dice runs and 50% mx track. I was thinking of getting 2+3 offset rims with kenda klaws all around for more width at the track and better traction, what do you think? all suggestions are welcome. thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well here is my order, not saying it was the best way
1) 13 tooth
2) Uni Air Filter
3) Hrc endcap
4) Ehs airbox lid
5) Curtis Spakrs jet kit
6} I did the few free mods to uncork the r

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by themike537@Sep 20 2004, 09:29 PM
i used to ride all trails, but now some of the land got shut down so i ride 50% fast xc type trails/dice runs and 50% mx track.  I was thinking of getting 2+3 offset rims with kenda klaws all around for more width at the track and better traction, what do you think? all suggestions are welcome.  thanks
I think that would be great for tires, the Klaws are very nice! Just make sure you aren't going to wide for your XC (I don't know your trails so that is your call) ...

I would also invest in nerfs, case saver, 39t rear sprocket (I will explain why), handlebars, SKID PLATES (can't stress that enough), and front and rear bumpers (AKA grab bar in the rear)

In regards to the 39t rear as opposed to a 13t front -- When you change out the front for a smaller sprocket your chain and sprockets wear faster than normal. When you change out the back for a bigger sprocket your chain and sprockets wear even slower than normal. In personal experience, the 13t is too low! You will miss 1st gear, and this is why I am switching back to stock and then buying a 39t rear eventually. B)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After i get it i was thinking about these mods:(over a year or two prolly lol)
HRC kit (im gonna get that when i buy the r)
CHM full pipe
Curtis Sparks intake kit
PRM skids
AC bumper/nerfs/grab bar
Kenda Klaw tires
GT Thunder rear shock revalve/linkage
Fly Handlebars
PEP steering stabilizer
Pro Design case saver
And a gas pressure washer to keep it showroom shiny B)
Anything Im missing?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by themike537@Sep 21 2004, 07:03 PM
After i get it i was thinking about these mods:(over a year or two prolly lol)
HRC kit (im gonna get that when i buy the r)
CHM full pipe
Curtis Sparks intake kit
PRM skids
AC bumper/nerfs/grab bar
Kenda Klaw tires
GT Thunder rear shock revalve/linkage
Fly Handlebars
PEP steering stabilizer
Pro Design case saver
And a gas pressure washer to keep it showroom shiny B)
Anything Im missing?
Sounds like a good list to me B)

However, you should just get one of the electric pressure washers from Home Depot (or a place like that). Trust me on this one ...

I have both, a gas-powered one and the electric type. The gas powered one seem like it is strong enough to flip the damn quad over if you give it a direct hit
The electric one is plenty powerful and gets the quads pretty damn clean :D

Just my $.02
-Zack-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do any of yours have inline soap? This is a feature im looking at and not sure if i need it. also, ive priced some gas ones, how much do the electrics run?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Sep 20 2004, 09:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-themike537
@Sep 20 2004, 09:29 PM
i used to ride all trails, but now some of the land got shut down so i ride 50% fast xc type trails/dice runs and 50% mx track.  I was thinking of getting 2+3 offset rims with kenda klaws all around for more width at the track and better traction, what do you think? all suggestions are welcome.  thanks
I think that would be great for tires, the Klaws are very nice! Just make sure you aren't going to wide for your XC (I don't know your trails so that is your call) ...

I would also invest in nerfs, case saver, 39t rear sprocket (I will explain why), handlebars, SKID PLATES (can't stress that enough), and front and rear bumpers (AKA grab bar in the rear)

In regards to the 39t rear as opposed to a 13t front -- When you change out the front for a smaller sprocket your chain and sprockets wear faster than normal. When you change out the back for a bigger sprocket your chain and sprockets wear even slower than normal. In personal experience, the 13t is too low! You will miss 1st gear, and this is why I am switching back to stock and then buying a 39t rear eventually. B) [/b]
Zack, I very impressed with what you know. Maybe I'll try the 39t for the woods. I never thought about going that way. You can learn something from everyone!! :D

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by themike537@Sep 21 2004, 07:33 PM
do any of yours have inline soap?  This is a feature im looking at and not sure if i need it.  also, ive priced some gas ones, how much do the electrics run?
I know there is an attachment brush for when you add soap into the washer somewhere on the electric one (never used it before though). I am not sure how much it costs off the top of my head, I will ask my dad for you though B) If I don't tell you tomorrow, just remind me in this thread, I read every post so it will be a good reminder :D

And Rico, I know very little compared to you and the other guys on this site with years of knowledge with engines, chassis, etc. But, I just try to gather all the info I find on sites and in forums and remember as much of it as I can :D

-Zack-

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Sep 21 2004, 06:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-themike537
@Sep 21 2004, 07:33 PM
do any of yours have inline soap?  This is a feature im looking at and not sure if i need it.  also, ive priced some gas ones, how much do the electrics run?
I know there is an attachment brush for when you add soap into the washer somewhere on the electric one (never used it before though). I am not sure how much it costs off the top of my head, I will ask my dad for you though B) If I don't tell you tomorrow, just remind me in this thread, I read every post so it will be a good reminder :D

And Rico, I know very little compared to you and the other guys on this site with years of knowledge with engines, chassis, etc. But, I just try to gather all the info I find on sites and in forums and remember as much of it as I can :D

-Zack- [/b]
Well, keep up the good work. I think your doing a damn good job!!! :D

Those electric washers are about $100 give or take!! B)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, the electric one sounds like a better option. do you do your whole fourwheeler with it or just the hard components-frame/aarms/swinger ect. nd do ur plastic with soap nd water

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Sep 21 2004, 07:50 PM
Well, keep up the good work. I think your doing a damn good job!!! :D

Those electric washers are about $100 give or take!! B)
Your making me blush!!
:lol:

Yep, my dad said that ours ran us around $115-ish ... it is really nice. I was talking to him about the gas-powered one (Honda - OF COURSE) and he said that it is WAY too powerful and will definately %&*$ up gaskets and seals ...

-Zack-

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I first spray simple green on and then I spray the whole bike down with the electric sprayer. It won't hurt anything on your quad!! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ricco, wouldn't dropping one tooth in the front be the same as adding 3 in the rear? the reason I ask I've had several shops locally tell me that by dropping one in the front (as I did) you are adding more torque and risk a trans problem down the road, "they" tell me to put the 14 back on and add 3 to the rear changes the wheels speed? does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by 450rx's2@Dec 15 2004, 03:57 PM
Ricco, wouldn't dropping one tooth in the front be the same as adding 3 in the rear? the reason I ask I've had several shops locally tell me that by dropping one in the front (as I did) you are adding more torque and risk a trans problem down the road, "they" tell me to put the 14 back on and add 3 to the rear changes the wheels speed? does that make sense?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39617
[/quote]

Yes that is correct!! :D

As far as putiing strain on the tranny,, I wouldn't think so! But, it does make sense!

If you do try this, Please let us know if there's any difference and what you think!! :D

Rico

1 - 20 of 24 Posts