Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a used HCII soon and had a few questions:

1) Do I need to do the break-in procedure HotCams calls for? No idling, change engine oil after a one hour ride, etc.?

2) What is the moly paste for that is in Rocking Horse's how-to?

3) My torque wrench only measures down to 15 lbf-ft. Its a Snap-On click style. It will click down to 5lbf-ft but I wasn't sure if I could trust that, since its only labeled to 15? Wondered if anybody had suggestions for that, or where to find a better torque wrench.

4) Do I need to worry about having the flange welded?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
their break in procedure is close. not sure on a particular way, but.... you want to keep the rpm's up and get it warmed up. it knocks the tiny imperfections off the metal surface. if you dont keep the rpm's up it just rounds them and you'll have wear issues.

moly paste puts an adhering slick coat on the lobes. keeps it lubed good till the oil gets circulated to the head. i dump a little oil in the head over the cam before i put the cover back on. try and get some oil in the bearings.

i borrowed a 1/4 inch drive tq wrench from work. it goes down to the small incriments.

welding the flange is some nice extra insurance. chances are you would never have an issue with it. but if its welded, you know you never will. if its easy for you to have it done..... why not???

someone who knows better than me will help with a cam break in style.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
i pretty much just wouldnt let it idle for long.. other than that id just drive normal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts