Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a couple of the cam threads, good info, but I haven't seen where anyone has actually went with the Hotcam stage 1? I know it's a low end cam and I've rode a EX with one in it before and really liked it off the bottom. Does anybody actually have this cam in their 450r? If so, please tell me about it.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Hotcam is a very good product. I have the stage 2 and yes the 1 is for low end and the 2 is for mid. Personally, I would go with the 2 because most of the time your usually in second and third. Unless your in first and second all the time and never hit third don't go with it! Go with the 2 stage!! I've had it in a 400ex and now the 450R. When you put a pipe on, you will get more bottom all the way through! Just my 2 cents worth!! :D

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Fatboy@Sep 10 2004, 07:20 PM
The stage 1 is all low and the stage 2 is all top end...get the sparks agressive cam it is more of an all around cam from what I have heard
Sorry but that is incorret. I have the stage 2 and it hits in third gear!! It is not a top end cam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)
It does help in the top end but it starts in the mid range!!!! B)

The stage 2 is just like the sparks!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, but it is more of a mid- top....the stage 1 has more low end then stage 2 while the sparks is an all around cam...i mis phrasesd it

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Fatboy@Sep 10 2004, 07:24 PM
Yes, but it is more of a mid- top....the stage 1 has more low end then stage 2 while the sparks is an all around cam...i mis phrasesd it
Yes to that I would say yes!! But, the cam kicks in early like the sparks. Depending on the gearing!!

14t it hits early from bottom to top. It's even smooth

13t It hits very hard in third till 5th. So I guess it would have to do with your type of riding and the gearing setup!! :D

But, like Lude said. With the pipe it works really well together!!

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
i am only going to try and help you guys out on this subject one more time.

do you know the old saying: you can lead a horse to water bt you have to shove his head in and suck on his a$$ to get him to take a drink??

well i will lead you, and i'll even shove yuor head in, but that's as far as i will go.

cam and piston are a connected subject. they very much affect and depend on each other as to how they will affect the power max and the power curve. the combo also affects what your octane requirements are i.e. a piston of a given compression may need higher than pump octane with the stock cam, but switch to a longer duration cam and you may need only 91 octane due to the later closing of the intake lobe "bleeding" some compression away at low rpm.

the only way to request cam recommendations is to state what type of riding youi ntend to do and what compression piston you are going to pair it up with. if the peripheral factors aren't given there is no way anyone can give a comprehensive recommendation.

wthout the additional factors it isn't much different than going to an armorer and asking only " what's the best bullet to use" he's going to say " i don't know until i know what you intend to shoot with it and from what kind of weapon?"
............................mixxer

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
mixxer, of course you are right. But I think they are talking stock piston. he is only asking about changing cam on a stock bike like most people do. Not to many people that replace thier cam, replace thier piston too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spoke with a local ATV shop and they informed me that hotcams in general are not very good products. He stated that they use cheap metals for construction and that I could expect the cam to wear down after a year of use. This of course would almost negate any benefit the cam might have ever given !

He did recommend the HRC cam and Sparks for quality of construction. Has anybody here every experienced this sort of problem while running a Hotcam™ ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I added a 12:1 piston with an HRC cam what other mods would be needed,
any valves, springs, etc.?

and would 93 octane still work?

and what type of gains should i expect???

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Full exhaust, your head ported and maybe a FCR carb!! B)
I would think you would start to add race gas after that!

·
Registered
242 Posts
really??
i would have to switch my carb out???

im thinking of doing the porting but i dunno anyone around here that does it.

and im not keen on shipping the head across the country.

as far a full exhaust goes im leaning towards the FMF factory 4

anyone else run that one??

what type of gains can i expect by bumping up the compression with HRC cam?

·
Registered
242 Posts
if i went with the 12.5:1 what other mods when be needed??

i still want to have a very reliable engine.

i dont wanna have to tear into it once a season.

i'm gonna use it for a trail bike but also im gonna try a little XC and possibly MX

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, but I'm asking if anyone actually has one in their 450r and what they thought about it, not for a general cam recommendation.

mixxer - instead of giving me a hard time about the proper way to ask for a cam recommendation maybe you should have read the title to the thread a little closer and you would have seen that I wasn't asking for a recommendation in the first place.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
deserts' advice is solid. he keeps a line between high performance and lunatic fringe, defaulting towards reliability.
if i have any extra cash after buying wife & kids x-mas presents, i'm still going to send him a piston just shy of diesel compression. he'll never go back.

dez, start doing a couple extra sets of right leg only squats in preparation

sincere apologies for my own instability to remlapr :(
..............mixxer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts