Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a hotcam stage 2 and wanted to know if it was easy enough to put in myself or sould i let me honda dealer do it?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
do it urself. takes no more than 2 hrs if its ur first time.

go to rockinhorseweb.com and click on TRX How To guides and theres a guide on how to install a cam. its perfect. thats all u need to tell u how to do it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
do it urself. takes no more than 2 hrs if its ur first time.

go to rockinhorseweb.com and click on TRX How To guides and theres a guide on how to install a cam. its perfect. thats all u need to tell u how to do it.[/b]

Not to jack the thread but I figure this will help the OP too. since im getting the same cam, can a beginner (i have no experience pretty much) do the shimming and adjusting too? How hard would that be.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Without knowing a persons abilities...it is very difficult to say with any certainty whether they can perform any particular task.Read the steps/directions posted on rockinhorseweb.com or in the service manual and make that determination yourself :yes .

I only ask...if you choose to do it yourself....please double or even triple check everything so you can avoid the possibilty of further repair costs that may occur due to human error....of course you could always blame it on faulty parts :hey:..Just kidding :yes ....or am I :thumbsup:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Without knowing a persons abilities...it is very difficult to say with any certainty whether they can perform any particular task.Read the steps/directions posted on rockinhorseweb.com or in the service manual and make that determination yourself :yes .

I only ask...if you choose to do it yourself....please double or even triple check everything so you can avoid the possibilty of further repair costs that may occur due to human error....of course you could always blame it on faulty parts :hey:..Just kidding :yes ....or am I :thumbsup:[/b]
and always double check cam timing, the marks are hard to see but if you have it off a tooth you can kick that SOB all day and it wont start, not that i have done that before :_specialED:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

I only ask...if you choose to do it yourself....please double or even triple check everything so you can avoid the possibilty of further repair costs that may occur due to human error....of course you could always blame it on faulty parts :hey:..Just kidding :yes ....or am I :thumbsup:[/b]
and always double check cam timing, the marks are hard to see but if you have it off a tooth you can kick that SOB all day and it wont start, not that i have done that before :_specialED:
[/b]
Yeah well..Lets just say I had to get someone to jet my bike for me..(it was free what can i say?) and that even looked hard so Imma just pay someone to install and shim it for me lol

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
make sure you have all the necessary tools. it sucks to stop working to go buy a tool.

torque wrench,shims,valve guage,zip ties, etc..

good time to put a compression guage on it also to check it out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
make sure you have all the necessary tools. it sucks to stop working to go buy a tool.

good time to put a compression guage on it also to check it out.[/b]
and to add to his list a set of "hex" sockets(i am not sure what they are called but this is the easiest way to describe them) so that you can torque the cam sprocket bolts. and that guide from rocking horse that's what i did and it worked i think....

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

good time to put a compression guage on it also to check it out.[/b]
and to add to his list a set of "hex" sockets(i am not sure what they are called but this is the easiest way to describe them) so that you can torque the cam sprocket bolts. and that guide from rocking horse that's what i did and it worked i think....
[/b]

yup.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
its easy as helllllllll. dont be scurred noobs :hey:

u can do it. valve shiming is easy as Pie also

just use the online shim calculator or when u get good at it, you don;t even need it. u just know what shim u need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts