Honda TRX 450R banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stated that the hp was 27 at the crank...and 22 at the wheels...you said I was dead wrong.

"Also a stock 350X puts out more then 22hp. and can easily get over 30hp without all the mods you listed Stock they put out 27hp. "

I'm merely defending the fact that, in this situation, experience with every type or bike or not...I'm correct.

You are correct in stating that pipe change will net a large gain, as the stock pipe is HIGHLY restrictive. Switching to a 1.5 inch pipe where the duals converge will also net another fairly substantial gain.

as for the radar guns accuracy...the old guns are inaccurate, always have been. the earliest models would only pick up the larger vehicle.

In the fall of 2004 I was clocked in a scion XB doing 137 mph going down a gradient.... those vehicles are limited mechanically to 129mph...and yet my buddies gun was reading 137. I may have been doing 123 tops. That was using the newest JUGS radar gun.

It's something that's blatantly ignored by the courts system. I'm not saying your guns were flawed, I'm just saying, they aren't accurate enough to where I would bet the farm on it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I stated that the hp was 27 at the crank...and 22 at the wheels...you said I was dead wrong.

I'm merely defending the fact that, in this situation, experience with every type or bike or not...I'm correct.[/b]
your original posted stated 61-62 mph and 22 hp stock. that was what i replied to as you being dead wrong. NOWHERE have i stated ANYTHING about rear wheel H.P. because that is not a very accurate way to determine H.P. There are to many variables in measuring H.P. that way that are not motor related, Tires, chains, axle bearings can all distort H.P. numbers. I rely on Crank Numbers. If you then stated AFTER the fact about the 27H.P. at the crank then your are correct in correcting yourself.

You are correct in stating that pipe change will net a large gain, as the stock pipe is HIGHLY restrictive. Switching to a 1.5 inch pipe where the duals converge will also net another fairly substantial gain.[/b]
No argument there I have built my own exhuast systems

as for the radar guns accuracy...the old guns are inaccurate, always have been. the earliest models would only pick up the larger vehicle.

In the fall of 2004 I was clocked in a scion XB doing 137 mph going down a gradient.... those vehicles are limited mechanically to 129mph...and yet my buddies gun was reading 137. I may have been doing 123 tops. That was using the newest JUGS radar gun.

It's something that's blatantly ignored by the courts system. I'm not saying your guns were flawed, I'm just saying, they aren't accurate enough to where I would bet the farm on it.[/b]
if i was relying SOLEY on ONE Rader guns then your argument would have validity. However, It is backed up by a second radar gun, the speedometer on a M/C right next to me AND a PROVEN MATHMATICAL FORUMLA that uses gear ratio's, final drive gearing, Vehicle weight, H.P., Tire Size. Now what you are saying is that 2 radar guns, a speedometer, the largest ATV magazine, And a proven formula are ALL wrong with the SAME conclusion And you who has NEVER ridden a Brand new 350X is right? is that what you are saying?

I have no problem agreeing that most 350X's nowadays are worn out and thus not as tight or fast as they once were. 60-65 would be a safe average. Even the crate motors...of which i have 4 are not as fast as my Original 85 motor was....FYI the 86's were slower then the 85's... Every crate motor i've bought all needed new clutches installed. One particular Crate motor only topped out at 55 before i replaced the clutch.

Look we can go on forever with this BUT, you can not accuratly say what a NEW 350X could do when you've never rode one.

now if you excuse me i Have a Brand New 450R trike i prefer to deal with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I say who fckin cares??
The 350x is a kick butt classic bike and people love them!
I have one and the thing is a handful to ride but ive never had so much fun in my life. And trust me, these things will teach you how to use body language in corners if you ride it aggressivly!
Mine has a supertrapp pipe as well, and its probably around 98db max i would guess. It is not as loud as my 450r with the FMF factory four and powerbomb. Also, if your having troubles with noise regulations, thats what the discs are for. Less disks= Less noise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I say who fckin cares??
The 350x is a kick butt classic bike and people love them!
I have one and the thing is a handful to ride but ive never had so much fun in my life. And trust me, these things will teach you how to use body language in corners if you ride it aggressivly![/b]
You got that right. For 20yrs it was my main trike to ride...even over my 250R...this pic is from around 86 or so,,,

·
Registered
897 Posts
i absolutely love mine too, i have been from glamis sand dunes to WI frozen lakes on it and its hard to find a better ride. even over my 450R !

i have ice raced a couple of versions (one with an extended front end that lord knows who did, and a stock frame one) of it. the stock one handles REALLY well, the balance on these are about as perfect as it gets.

the chopper and the stock frame lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
i absolutely love mine too, i have been from glamis sand dunes to WI frozen lakes on it and its hard to find a better ride. even over my 450R ![/b]

As much as i love 350X's i'd have to take this 450R over a X :thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does any of you know if there is any axles that will interchange with the 350X? One of mine has a bent axle and there bringing big money on ebay and are rusty looking junk.
Darryl

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does any of you know if there is any axles that will interchange with the 350X? One of mine has a bent axle and there bringing big money on ebay and are rusty looking junk.
Darryl[/b]
There are no direct replacements. A 300 ex axle can be used but you will need 300ex sprocket.

Durablue still makes aftermarket axles for the 350X. Thats what I use. Stock axles are junk anyway IME

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I grew up on dirt bikes but when I was 15 years old, summer of 94' or 95', I was haying in the summer for some old farmer and as we were loading the hay in the barn I spotted this broke azz beat to a pulp 86' 350x sittin in the corner. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said $50. I got it home and my parents neighbor at the time happened to be a mechanic at the local kawasaki/suzuki shop so he helped me tear it down. All I had to do was clean and rebuild the carb and I used that kreem stuff to clean out the gas tank and that got it running. I still had to rebuild pretty much everything cause every seal on the thing was shot but me and my dad and neighbor worked on it all summer. It was a very sharp trike when i was all done and I ended up selling it for a quite a bit more than i put into it but to this day i miss that thing. My goal is to find another one when i have time to rebuild and tinker around on one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
How bout more trike pictures?

I've spent the last two dune seasons on this '85 250r. She's pretty sweet, I think!

·
Registered
116 Posts
very nice...I still love riding trikes, they taught me how to ride and im passing that on to my son who started on a 185 and now rides a 200X. He is now after one of my 350Xs but hes only 11. He too has a passion for trikes and there power for teaching respect on how to ride. Its kinda funny when were out driving around there is not a trike around that misses his eye if theres one around he will see it and identify it. He just found out a couple years ago they dont make them anymore ya should of seen his eyes when he seen blacksheeps 450R trike (his new idol) LOL... He rides the 200X wherever my 450R goes. He will grow up as I did with some great trike stories to tell and remember

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's good to hear right there.

everyone should remember...without these babies...you'd have no 450s.

and 25 year old technology isn't too far behind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had one and miss it dearly. I sold it back in 2001. All of my buddies had 400EXs and trust me we raced each other all the time in the dirt and on the highway. Drag racing and top end was almost dead even. I remember one time we went for a couple of miles pinned in high gear and we couldnt pass each other. So how ever fast a stock 400EX is on topend thats what my 350X would do. All was stock on both the 350X and the 400EXs. When I bought mine new in 86 I remember the salesman talking about it having 27hp per Honda.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had one and miss it dearly. I sold it back in 2001. All of my buddies had 400EXs and trust me we raced each other all the time in the dirt and on the highway. Drag racing and top end was almost dead even. I remember one time we went for a couple of miles pinned in high gear and we couldnt pass each other. So how ever fast a stock 400EX is on topend thats what my 350X would do. All was stock on both the 350X and the 400EXs. When I bought mine new in 86 I remember the salesman talking about it having 27hp per Honda.[/b]
The 350X is truly a great machine...Honda was way ahead of thier time with this machine it still amazes me when you look at to see how close it resembles the 450R. To top it all off this was a time when 2 stroke ruled everything. Trail riding the 350X is always on your back door even with the 450R not as fast but hard to leave behind with a good rider.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Check this badd ass out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lol I love when 250r nuts work pops up on other places... It's beautiful. But with a 15k build price... A bit high for most.

BlackSheep has the wave of the future...

I have been meaning to ask you if you know how much that front end weighs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lol I love when 250r nuts work pops up on other places... It's beautiful. But with a 15k build price... A bit high for most.

I have been meaning to ask you if you know how much that front end weighs?[/b]

lol, if you think 15k is high, I stopped adding up after 16k on my "Black Sheep" edition TPC 450R. I'd guess around 17-18k.

I have not weighed it separately. I do know I had to put a longer swingarm on the keep the front end down. it's tore down now getting cleaned and prepped for the Jan 10th indoor race. maybe 'll weigh it

·
Registered
54 Posts

I have been meaning to ask you if you know how much that front end weighs?[/b]

lol, if you think 15k is high, I stopped adding up after 16k on my "Black Sheep" edition TPC 450R. I'd guess around 17-18k.

I have not weighed it separately. I do know I had to put a longer swingarm on the keep the front end down. it's tore down now getting cleaned and prepped for the Jan 10th indoor race. maybe 'll weigh it
[/b]

I was guestimating on that 15k. lol. he said it's the same as a ducati.

of course his is road legal being that he's across the pond.

Hell I said it's high, but now that I think about it, with the price tags these guys are seeing buying new bikes...that's not that bad.

I'm only 3-4k into my X....I'm just thinking about that that 1000$ front end would be the icing on the cake.

If you could give it a weigh, I'd really appreciate it....I don't think it will be tooo much heavier than my stock pieces, just a whole lot stiffer.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts