Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i would like to know what the decible rating of a supertrapp 4 inch aluminum race series is on a 1985 honda atc 350x.
yes,,, i am asking about a trike. i really dont care if you think trikes are crap.
i just would like to know. Any other trike owners, please contact me or add me.
thank you-
honda_350x_kid[attachment=33954:350x.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
hello. i would like to know what the decible rating of a supertrapp 4 inch aluminum race series is on a 1985 honda atc 350x.
yes,,, i am asking about a trike. i really dont care if you think trikes are crap.
thank you-
honda_350x_kid[attachment=33954:350x.jpg][/b]
How fast are those 350x's compared to a 450r?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you-
honda_350x_kid[attachment=33954:350x.jpg][/b]
How fast are those 350x's compared to a 450r?
[/b]
these 350x's stock will do 72 mph gps.
now it does atleast 75 mph.
these things are tourque monsters!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I still want to get a 350X so I think your trike is sick. I grew up ridin 3 wheels and still think it's more fun than ridin on 4 so props to you. Everybody should show some love to the 350X and 250R trike riders.

·
Registered
54 Posts
as the owner of a 350x...I have to tell you that a stock 350x will not do 70. with stock gearing and stock tires, a completely stock bike will do 61 to 62 mph.

It has a huge amount of torque though, with a quick gearing swap you can break 80mph...and the bike will still pull the front end up in every gear except 5th and 6th.

Stock the bike puts down 22hp at the wheels...not too shabby for 25 years old.

With a 37mm FCR, a 450r exhaust, megacycle cam, light portwork, a lightened flywheel, and rebuilt valves...you can break 30hp. These bikes have no rev limiters, and with upgraded valves...they rev to the moon and back. With the much lighter flywheel, they rev A LOT quicker, nowhere like the new 450s though. The twist throttle on mine is quite scary at times, especially when tuning.

How do they compare with a 450r...with the mods I just listed, on trails or dunes, you'd have a helluva time trying to lose a competent driver. In a straight 300ft drag, you might get two-three bike lengths if you're piped and jetted and you get a damned good launch.

There are other more extreme methods of getting power....big bore kits out to 452...coupled with a stroker can get you over 500ccs...but without extreme portwork, you won't be seeing that much of a gain.

Now...if you do that extreme bigbore and then top it off with an ascott 500 or xr500 head, I've seen dyno's of over 60hp. These aren't the rule so much as the exception. I've heard of more people doing most of these mods and then scattering it on the Dyno.

As it is right now, with the crate engine I've found, coupled with the mods I'm going to be throwing at my bike...thanks to a few members on here for the 450r parts...if any of you gents on a 450r would like to be scared out of your pants, feel free to hop on.

Only one rule, you have to be able to start it first.

Roll it to top dead center, hang on to the bars, stand on the kicker...and jump. Meanwhile, pray that your foot doesn't slip, or that your decompression cable doesn't decide not to work.

Ps...if you sneeze with the twisty, you might go over backward. They have a ton of torque.

·
Registered
897 Posts
to answer the kids question, i dont know what the db, but they are loud lol.

i had a stroker 390(stock sleeve yet) that made 38 hp and you couldnt draw the power line any straighter. its only a 360 now but i bet it still makes over 30 :D.

·
Registered
116 Posts
as the owner of a 350x...I have to tell you that a stock 350x will not do 70. with stock gearing and stock tires, a completely stock bike will do 61 to 62 mph.

It has a huge amount of torque though, with a quick gearing swap you can break 80mph...and the bike will still pull the front end up in every gear except 5th and 6th.

With a 37mm FCR, a 450r exhaust, megacycle cam, light portwork, a lightened flywheel, and rebuilt valves...you can break 30hp. These bikes have no rev limiters, and with upgraded valves...they rev to the moon and back. With the much lighter flywheel, they rev A LOT quicker, nowhere like the new 450s though. The twist throttle on mine is quite scary at times, especially when tuning.

How do they compare with a 450r...with the mods I just listed, on trails or dunes, you'd have a helluva time trying to lose a competent driver. In a straight 300ft drag, you might get two-three bike lengths if you're piped and jetted and you get a damned good launch.

There are other more extreme methods of getting power....big bore kits out to 452...coupled with a stroker can get you over 500ccs...but without extreme portwork, you won't be seeing that much of a gain.

Now...if you do that extreme bigbore and then top it off with an ascott 500 or xr500 head, I've seen dyno's of over 60hp. These aren't the rule so much as the exception. I've heard of more people doing most of these mods and then scattering it on the Dyno.

As it is right now, with the crate engine I've found, coupled with the mods I'm going to be throwing at my bike...thanks to a few members on here for the 450r parts...if any of you gents on a 450r would like to be scared out of your pants, feel free to hop on.

Roll it to top dead center, hang on to the bars, stand on the kicker...and jump. Meanwhile, pray that your foot doesn't slip, or that your decompression cable doesn't decide not to work.

Ps...if you sneeze with the twisty, you might go over backward. They have a ton of torque.[/b]
What kind of upgraded valves are you using?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
megacyle makes upgraded spring, and the new vesrah valves are better than the old honda ones. the only issue with these is float...at extremely high rpms.

Ps...if you sneeze with the twisty, you might go over backward. They have a ton of torque.[/b]
What kind of upgraded valves are you using?
[/b]

·
Registered
116 Posts

i had a stroker 390(stock sleeve yet) that made 38 hp and you couldnt draw the power line any straighter. its only a 360 now but i bet it still makes over 30 :D.[/b]
Not trying to jack the thread but as long as were talking 350X stuff please elaberate on some of your mods...Im finding this 350X info intresting. Id love to make mine in the mid 30s...mine has K/N filter, DG pipe and jetting.
Darryl

·
Registered
897 Posts

i had a stroker 390(stock sleeve yet) that made 38 hp and you couldnt draw the power line any straighter. its only a 360 now but i bet it still makes over 30 :D.[/b]
Not trying to jack the thread but as long as were talking 350X stuff please elaberate on some of your mods...Im finding this 350X info intresting. Id love to make mine in the mid 30s...mine has K/N filter, DG pipe and jetting.
Darryl
[/b]
web 40b grind cam, sparks national head, 400ex carb (i want to try the '04-5 trx450r carb) 12:1 82mm wiseco piston. i dont remember the stroke of the stroker, i will have to check.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Darryl
[/b]
web 40b grind cam, sparks national head, 400ex carb (i want to try the '04-5 trx450r carb) 12:1 82mm wiseco piston. i dont remember the stroke of the stroker, i will have to check.
[/b]
Avoid that trxcarb at all costs. The 400ex carb is actually only a 35.5mm. The 37fcr is much better suited to the 350x engine. Plus, more options to tune.

If you do all topend however, that 450 carb is the way to go. But you'll have powerband somewhat like a two stroke.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I don't know were your getting your info but your are DEAD wrong about the 350X top speed and horsepower.

A stock 350X will absolutly do 72 mph. I have had 350X's since brand new and i have proven this many differant ways.

Also a stock 350X puts out more then 22hp. and can easily get over 30hp without all the mods you listed Stock they put out 27hp. and simply replacing the pipe will get you over 30. the ascot/xr 500 head was a dead issue in the 80's. it was a experiment that never went far. Modifying the stock head is the better option.

as far as starting they are not as difficult as people make them out to be. the problem lies in lack of proper technique. Bringing the motor to top dead center then jumping on it is how i would expect a novice 85lb girl to try. Instead bring the motor up to top dead center...THEN RELEASE the kicker back to normal THEN kick it with a thourough kick. this will activate the decompression cable and make it effective.

and running a twist is easy once you get rid of the death grip.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Darryl
[/b]
If you want to get into the Mid 30's a Air filter/no air box lid, Pipe, high compression piston will get you around 33. any more you'll need cam and porting. A larger carb would be good but unless you do porting and or valve work you will not see the max benefits from the carb.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Darryl
[/b]
If you want to get into the Mid 30's a Air filter/no air box lid, Pipe, high compression piston will get you around 33. any more you'll need cam and porting. A larger carb would be good but unless you do porting and or valve work you will not see the max benefits from the carb.
[/b]

I would hope that you read the words "at the wheels"

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/350x.jpg

the 86 350x was only rated by honda at 27 hp....at the crank. check the old sales brochures.

as for the top speed, if you have the original ohtsu ballon tires, you do have a better chance of touching 72...but I still wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would hope that you read the words "at the wheels"

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/350x.jpg

the 86 350x was only rated by honda at 27 hp....at the crank. check the old sales brochures.

as for the top speed, if you have the original ohtsu ballon tires, you do have a better chance of touching 72...but I still wouldn't hold my breath.[/b]

I don't have to research a old artical, I was there in 1985/86 with Brand new 350X's.

that Dnyo is meaningless. For one a 400Ex puts out 27.4 HP the 350X 27. Both accrding to Original titles from Honda. additionally since the dnyo run was comparing a 350X with a 400ex it is safe to say the 350X was not brand new. therefore the dyno sheet is meaningless for this discussion of what a 350X puts out when new.

as far as speed do some research of your own to Dirt Wheels May 1985. in it they state "top speed of just over 70mph" They used a Radar Gun. I tested this out in May? of 1985 when i bought my 350X. I was clocked next to my friend on his 85 XL600 doing 70+mph. I was also clocked by a police officer doing 72mph. Additionally you can do more research at Sidwinder.com They have a very accurate Formula for figuring out a machines top end. This formula is used by many top teams to figure out top speed. when using 350X numbers the formula works out to 72.2mph

May i ask what you were doing in 86?

·
Registered
897 Posts
i was drooling over the new 200x's lol...at 9 years old it would have been just a bit too much for me. [email protected]!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was swimming.

Now, black sheep aka mr. Atc, if you wouldn't have been banned from the other forum for such a poor attitude, you would have seen that a member recently dynoed a crate engine at 22 hp and with a little nos blowing, the bike touched 28.

As for radar guns, until laser tech made it's way into the field, those guns had over an 8mph margin of error. I've been working with the sheriffs office the last 7 years. Even the new radar guns get twitchy from time to time.

I merely came here to buy parts, you can be that three wheeler guy.

I'll grant that you're are likely correct concerning the 300ex rear, as I've only heard they fit, I've seen dynos. And no stock 350x is banging down 27 at the wheels. What I don't understand, is that even Honda rated these bikes at 27 at the crank.... And you're saying no, the bike really did it... How sad

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was swimming.[/b]
according to your information your 22. so whe you say you were "swimming" in 86 i'm assuming you mean swimming in your daddy's ball bag...lol

Now, black sheep aka mr. Atc, if you wouldn't have been banned from the other forum for such a poor attitude, you would have seen that a member recently dynoed a crate engine at 22 hp and with a little nos blowing, the bike touched 28.[/b]
when people resort to off topic remarks/attacks on ones person it is usually because that party making the attack is losing the debate and therefore trying to devert the direction of the debate in order to misdirect the debate from there losing argument. Additionally I left that site because that site is more of a FEEL GOOD site filled with half truth information. I do not remember you asa member so i don't think you have any RELIABLE information to base your opinion on.

As for radar guns, until laser tech made it's way into the field, those guns had over an 8mph margin of error. I've been working with the sheriffs office the last 7 years. Even the new radar guns get twitchy from time to time.[/b]
It's ironic how law enforcement officers for years testified under oath to the accuracy of Radar guns. They have been doing this for dozens of years. Now all of a sudden someone in law enforcement says that NO they are not accurate. Therfore stating by opinion that all other officers before lied under oath.

Furthermore are you stating that a radar gun test done in california by the most respected ATV magazine was inacurate AND has the exact same inacuracy as a radar gun in a police car on the east coast which verified the other result???

I merely came here to buy parts, you can be that three wheeler guy.[/b]
that very well maybe but, you decided to post on another subject so here we are!!!

I'll grant that you're are likely correct concerning the 300ex rear, as I've only heard they fit, I've seen dynos. And no stock 350x is banging down 27 at the wheels. What I don't understand, is that even Honda rated these bikes at 27 at the crank.... And you're saying no, the bike really did it... How sad[/b]
What i don't understand is were did i once mentioned HP at either the crank or wheel. I mearlly stated CORRECTLY that according to Honda/NY DMV/TiTle the 350x has 27 hp and the 400ex has 27.5 hp stock. AND that any Dyno done 20 yrs after the fact is irrelevnt.

Finally i think people can make up there own minds as who to believe, someone with over 20rs experiance with the very bike in question OR someone barly over 20 yrs old going off of his own research.

BTW...were did your name "The Goat" come from... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts