Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance.. someone is rolling there eyes saying "really dude"

2002 450... This thing has basically been a neglected tractor for about 10 years. I haul logs and a trailer around my yard in spurts of agonizing weekends and then park it for months. I have not done ton maintenance wise. It always ran so I just shipped it. In the last year or so it was miserable to keep running. It was hit or miss. Whenit would run it was great, sometimes when worked hard it would slowly become harder to keep running. If i shut it off it and tried to start it would back fire hard a few times and I found if I held my hand over that basic intake looking tube to the left of the air filter I could get it to start and be ok. This spring after unerring it from under the tarp it was impossible to get started. I had a bought a $40 carb and air filter in the fall off amazon and finally put it on. I found while changing the air filter that the years and mouse piss had really deteriorated the inner part of the filter to the point that it was probably sucking chunks into the old carb. I cleaned everything up as best I could and put it all together and it started and ran great. Patted myself on the back and was feeling good. Used it the next weekend to move a trailer around a few times with no issue. Yesterday started it up and moved to other side of yard, loaded trailer, moved again, moved again.. no start. crank, crank, half fart.. crank.....
Today I tore the carb apart 2 time thinking maybe some lost ice of filter got stucked in... Couldn't find anything. And no closer to starting.
Took plug out and it was wet. Didn't have one and cleaned good and checked for spark.. it was strong.
Had it connected to my pickup with jumpers and cranked till the cows came home and i could get a crazy back fire once in awhile but not even close to starting.

Spark confirmed...
Plenty of fuel supply.....
tried adding starting fluid... didn't change anything..

mancard... .... revoked

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
With all the back firing coming out I would say to check you valves to see if they are in spec. Also in my opinion definitely would not be running an amazon special carb, just rebuild the factory one, and jet accordingly. Jumping it off the truck if it was on(the truck) can be very hard on the starting system and possibly fry the rectifier in it.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
BHT-1234 did you get your quad dialed in? It’s been 5 months. Rourke4 is right probably valves out of spec. Stay away from the cheap aftermarket carbs, rebuild kit if anything, change fluids, clean filter, and check valve specs twice a year at least in your case. And do not use cars and jumper cables, get a small battery charger at your local auto center. Sounds like you store it outside right? Try to store it inside. If not an option at least under a roof with tarp. Drain gas when storing for long periods, and they have additives to keep moister out of tank and carb. Hope your up and riding or working quad to death 😆 send some pics.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
BHT-1234 did you get your quad dialed in? It’s been 5 months. Rourke4 is right probably valves out of spec. Stay away from the cheap aftermarket carbs, rebuild kit if anything, change fluids, clean filter, and check valve specs twice a year at least in your case. And do not use cars and jumper cables, get a small battery charger at your local auto center. Sounds like you store it outside right? Try to store it inside. If not an option at least under a roof with tarp. Drain gas when storing for long periods, and they have additives to keep moister out of tank and carb. Hope your up and riding or working quad to death 😆 send some pics.
You can jump them with truck or car just make sure the car or truck isn't running but it is best to use a small battery charger.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
I was told not to jump with cables & car, would fry the battery. If the car is off, wouldn’t not charge? Or do you mean with ignition on but car engine not running?

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
I was told not to jump with cables & car, would fry the battery. If the car is off, wouldn’t not charge? Or do you mean with ignition on but car engine not running?
It will fry the rectifier when the car is running because the voltage will be to high for it to handle, if the car is off and just using battery voltage no problem. When the car is running it will be putting out around 14.5 ish volts, but battery alone would be mor like 12.5-12.9 volts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok good to know, and makes sense. Can use a car with cables but just on battery voltage only, thanks rourke4, you’ve been quite informative lately. Sounds like we have a new trx459r.org godfather 😆 the crown has been handed over to you sir. Hope you keep up the help, and not disappear 🫥 for years. Lol

·
Registered
721 Posts
Rourke4 I have a 2006 trx450er motor is stock for now, except for sparks full exhaust, aluminum air box with open flared lid and uni foam filter (for riding in the dirt , dust, sand etc) what jets do you recommend with that set up?
In the process of doing mods tho, port job,HRC cam, valves, quick shot, stock bore or maybe 468 bore, not sure on the compression (what do you recommend?) 93 pump gas.what jets on that set up? And what other mods do you recommend with that work? Longevity is my main goal of course.

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
53 Posts
Rourke4 I have a 2006 trx450er motor is stock for now, except for sparks full exhaust, aluminum air box with open flared lid and uni foam filter (for riding in the dirt , dust, sand etc) what jets do you recommend with that set up?
In the process of doing mods tho, port job,HRC cam, valves, quick shot, stock bore or maybe 468 bore, not sure on the compression (what do you recommend?) 93 pump gas.what jets on that set up? And what other mods do you recommend with that work? Longevity is my main goal of course.
If your looking for some info on that start a new thread and get some info from the higher ups help as well, better to get more opinions. Need to know your elevation as well. If you @ me on the new post I will respond there!

·
Registered
721 Posts
If your looking for some info on that start a new thread and get some info from the higher ups help as well, better to get more opinions. Need to know your elevation as well. If you @ me on the new post I will respond there!
Higher ups!? 🤦‍♂️ Smh!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts