Honda TRX 450R banner

Holy Broken Cases!!!!!!

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bawb 
#1 ·
So I am taking my swinger off to replace the pivot bearings and this is what I find. Is this even possibly without it leaking oil? It hasn't leaked a drop. What the hell would cause this?

The bike as it sits......

Notice right side center case

A better pic

Holy crap!?!?!?! How did this happen?

See less See more
#4 ·
I cant see the pics at work but im guessing it cracked the pivot casting out. There is a recess in the casting that doesnt hold any fluids... TRUST ME I broke it last year, I wil ldig up moy old topic later when I get home from work.

#5 ·
I cant see the pics at work but im guessing it cracked the pivot casting out. There is a recess in the casting that doesnt hold any fluids... TRUST ME I broke it last year, I wil ldig up moy old topic later when I get home from work.[/b]
If I make sure everything is tight can I run it like this? Obviously if there was any fluid in that cavity it would be running all over the floor but since there isnt I dont see much problem riding it until it gets cold enough to tear it down.

#12 ·
you think it is from landing sweet jumps? lol only thing i can think of...[/b]
Hahaha, yes Jeff, lots of sweet jumps................

Actually I let the bolt get loose once and it was able to move just a little, which I'm willing to bet cracked it. Not sure though. I am going to pull the bolt tonight and see what all I need to replace. Hopefully I can just get Sandshots pivot bearings and a new bolt and call it good until I tear it down this winter.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Did it break on the right and left or just the right?

If its only the right and if you have an 05 I'll have a good case half I can sell you soon.[/b]
It only broke on the right side. Its an 06 so I will have to shop for cases. Thanks for the offer though.
[/b]

Just trying to help, good luck on the fix.

Are you going to get a new pivot bolt too? That old one looks bad.

#16 ·
Actually I let the bolt get loose once and it was able to move just a little, which I'm willing to bet cracked it.[/b]
I would bet that is exactlly what happened. If the pivot bolt is loose, it allows the entire rear end to flex and that is what broke the case. A couple of years ago some of the guys I race against had the same thing happen, except it actually broke the back of the case off and all the oil drained out of the motor. Did not notice it untill the motor quit running due to lack of oil. Also, due to all the flexing, the frame broke clean through near one of the footpegs mounts also. They did not have a loose bolt though, theirs broke clean off at the nut.

The pivot bolt does "sandwich" everything together back there. If you tighten the bolt back down, it could crack the case even worse, resulting in the oil running out and possibly frame damage. If you do continue to run it, I would keep a close eye on it.

Doug

#17 ·
Yeah Zac and Sandshots, I am getting everything through the dealer today so I can see if its going to fix it good enough to ride. Thanks anyway Sandshots, its too bad you arent here thats cheap as hell.

Doug, Thats what I figured, but as of right now its tight and everything is intact. I am going to replace the bolt and all bearings and sleeves and reassemble. If it doesnt look right or moves at all I wont run it. Thanks for the help fellas.

#18 ·
I had to adjust my chain 2 times that day and knew something was wrong, the swingarm bolt broke and didnt realize it.

After I got home for further inspection realized I broke my frame in 4 places. 2 at each footpeg and 2 at the upper motor mount.

My fix...A gusset kit and fresh p/c, SS swinger bolt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.